Used 1996 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Ripper in disguise!
By vwlover007

1996 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon

1996 Passat B4v Wagon with 5 Speed Manual & VR6 6 Cylinder. Don't believe all these cry babies who trash a complete & awesome model car because of door handle/ lock and window regulator issues with this model..... This B4 Passat wagon is perhaps the most under car that VW ever made. This car in VR6 5 Speed form is fast ! and fun! it rips nicely and handles well too.! & The car has lots of cargo room. It looks nice!. Is very comfortable to drive. It has good AC & a nice glass two way sunroof. This car cruises nicely without effort and above 3500 rpm is a ripper! a hammer ready to throw down if need be ;) My car has excellent ABS Brakes and the front calipers and rotors are Beef SWEET!

Favorite Features

PERFECT CAR! You can buy them for cheap and they offer excellent performance and are very awesome! on road trips to concerts and camping and carrying a bicycle and cargo. I love the VR6 5 speed power and the excellent brakes and also the stereo and ac and heat and seats and sunroof are all great!

Suggested Improvements

Stop [non-permissible content removed] about door handles and start raving about super fun vr6 performance! Bilstein suspension! excellent brakes! Excellent ride and handling very fun & awesome car!!!

GLX Passat Wagon
By Meghan M.

1996 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon

I am quite familiar with a lot of the issues I have been reading. One thing I have noticed with this car is that proper maintenance and proper fluids such as G12 coolant, premium gasoline, and synthetic oil are necessary for longevity. I have rebuilt the engine and replaced all of the gaskets, timing chain and tensioner, water pump, and cv shaft. I am approaching about 160k miles and I am still in love! Though, my boyfriend and I are VW enthusiasts and do many of the repairs ourselves and it is definitely important to find a VW mechanic and NOT a dealership. I will say, if someone is looking into this car, be prepared for a good amount of maintenance.

Favorite Features

5 speed transmission, heated seats, spacious, and the galaxie blue paint.. Love the color!

Suggested Improvements

Windows-I have TONS of issues with the front left window regulator.. Duct tape definitely should be required with the ownership with any VW. Door handles kind of stink, they freeze in the winter but nothing some WD40 co, and the AC is leaking. That is about all that I have got to complain about!

Terrible Car!
By Mika

1996 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon

This is my second Volkswagen Passat. My first one was a '91 Passat which I loved. I decided to upgrade for the VR6. With 176 horsepower on tap on a much heavier car it wasn't going to win any races. This car has been a dismal experience, as the O2 sensors (in engine bay and under the fuel tank) have gone out, as well as the thermostat and automatic transmission. After thousands of dollars in repairs and countless man hours of doing the work myself, I have finally gotten rid of the beast.

Favorite Features

This is a fun to drive German car. It has the typical stiff suspension and dealer support network (NOW).

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability. Lower the cost of parts for repair. Improve the cheap interior materials, fuel mileage, and dealer support network (up until 2004).

Nice looking, but DON'T BUY
By DA

1996 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon

Since buying our Passat GLX wagon in early-2004, we've had nothing but problems. The front doors don't close in the winter, the driver's door won't open at all, the transmission skips, the check engine light is ALWAYS on, the temperature light stays on through the summer months, it leaks oil...I'll stop there. This is a GREAT looking car with good gas mileage, but I will never buy another Passat wagon.

Favorite Features

Look, gas mileage, power

Suggested Improvements

Glove box, more comfortable seats, better door mechanisms. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Fun, roomy...TOO MANY SMALL PROBLEMS
By Jessej

1996 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon

I have the same experience as so many others here... really love the brand, love the car... HATE the constantly breaking $200-$500 repairs on small things. Since the beginning I have had a rattle in the stickshift/transmission, O2 sensors replaced often, check engine light goes on all the time, ignition switch replaced, 2 door handles just stoped working, 3 window regulators replaced, clutch pedal broke off, tires are very non-standard size (restricts your choices and increases cost), ABS is gone. The door handles and windows are the most annoying... c'mon, those should not break so often over only 70k miles!! Really want to buy another, just cant.

Favorite Features

roomy and peppy.

Suggested Improvements

Dont skimp so much on the quality of small parts. dont make eveything so proprietary... focus on improving the computer system. Bring back the glove box. Just make it more reliable... you can do this!!!