Used 1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Very Reliable
By legionpk

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

this car is very reliable. the power of germany engineering. i love my 96 vw passat glx. it takes me any where. proud owner. i will keep it and drive it till it disintergrates or the tires fly off or the doors fly off

Favorite Features

handling.......response.......power horses

No more VWs
By tyler

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

As almost all reviews have implied this car is too expensive to service and problems are constant. VW should have recalled the entire car. Yes, great V6 engine but definitely a real headache and expensive to repair.

Favorite Features

V6 engine

Suggested Improvements

This car should never have been put on the market by VW.

Great VW
By Germancarfan

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I received this car in my grandmother's will, and as she meticulously maintained it and kept it in excellent shape. I see no major problems in the car. It drives nicely, accelerates quickly, and handles like a car half its size. My only gripe is the door handle, it seems to act up every once and a while, leaving me fiddling with it for a bit to get it to work. As this is my second car, my first car was an Isuzu Rodeo, I am very pleased with it.

Favorite Features

The engine, handling, and good gas mileage (it get s around 20 mpg overall, but after getting 12- 13 mpg in my Rodeo it's a big step forward).

Suggested Improvements

The door handles, cup holders, and headlight covers (they tend to fog up over time).

Horrible, Expensive, and Unreliable!
By Rupert

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car has been a complete nightmare to own. It has had issues with the transmission, electrical, interior cosmetics, expensive parts...the list goes on. This car was wonderful when I bought it new in April of 1995. Then at 31,000 miles all hell broke lose. I lost my heated seats, and soon after my entire instrument cluster. Then at 33,000 miles my transmission went out - thank God it was under warranty as it costs nearly $6,500 to repair. The rear O2 sensors require taking off the FUEL TANK to reach them. This car is too much work and is costing me too much money. I am VERY unhappy with this car!

Favorite Features

Ummm...it is fun to drive when it's working.

Suggested Improvements

Mine didn't come with a glove box which is odd, and the lack of interior space was disappointing. It has cheap afterthought cup holders, poor reliability, expensive parts, and is hard to work on.

Has Been Hood
By toms4w

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Volkswagen Passat new and have only had minimal problems after 10 years.

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive and has lots of features for money (heated leather seats, power sunroof, trac control).