1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Very Reliable
By legionpk on 01/15/13 18:06 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

this car is very reliable. the power of germany engineering. i love my 96 vw passat glx. it takes me any where. proud owner. i will keep it and drive it till it disintergrates or the tires fly off or the doors fly off

No more VWs
By tyler on 09/06/08 11:01 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

As almost all reviews have implied this car is too expensive to service and problems are constant. VW should have recalled the entire car. Yes, great V6 engine but definitely a real headache and expensive to repair.

Great VW
By Germancarfan on 01/29/07 16:46 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I received this car in my grandmother's will, and as she meticulously maintained it and kept it in excellent shape. I see no major problems in the car. It drives nicely, accelerates quickly, and handles like a car half its size. My only gripe is the door handle, it seems to act up every once and a while, leaving me fiddling with it for a bit to get it to work. As this is my second car, my first car was an Isuzu Rodeo, I am very pleased with it.

Horrible, Expensive, and Unreliable!
By Rupert on 12/22/06 06:14 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car has been a complete nightmare to own. It has had issues with the transmission, electrical, interior cosmetics, expensive parts...the list goes on. This car was wonderful when I bought it new in April of 1995. Then at 31,000 miles all hell broke lose. I lost my heated seats, and soon after my entire instrument cluster. Then at 33,000 miles my transmission went out - thank God it was under warranty as it costs nearly $6,500 to repair. The rear O2 sensors require taking off the FUEL TANK to reach them. This car is too much work and is costing me too much money. I am VERY unhappy with this car!

Has Been Hood
By toms4w on 10/05/06 06:58 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Volkswagen Passat new and have only had minimal problems after 10 years.

runs forever
By carracer on 06/17/05 09:21 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I've had this 1996 passat since it was brand new and it's been in the shop no more than 3 or 4 times. I have the car in a manual (I hate automatics) and the ORIGINAL clutch is still working perfectly. There's a little rust on the drivers side door, but I live in a heavily salted part of Vermont, so that's understandable. The fuel economy is great for such an old car (28-34 mpg). The gearing gets a little iffy on the highway with a 4 cylinder (it does 70mph at 3200 rpm). Overall a really nice car with a great audio system in a car that refuses to fail.

Car Care is the Cure
By 4N-Fever on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

My wife and I have owned our Passat for almost 4 years and we love it. Plenty of room for the kids(x2) stuff and luggage. In those 4 years we have replaced the timing belt twice (due to high milage) and the water pump as well. We have put on 3 sets of tires, changed the oil and filter approx 20 times and had the radiator flushed twice. I guess what I'm saying is, proper or preventative car care/maintainence will keep your car going for a long time. The down side which there are some are the resale value seems low, the drivers side window regulator broke, the door handles do not always open the doors, the air lock system sometimes fail and the check engine light remains on all the time.

Original owner still trying . . .
By Georgia driver on 08/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner of a 96 GLX which now has about 80K miles on it. I echo the comments about the parts/systems that required replacement. Mine include: abs pump, instrument cluster, ignition switch (2), odometer, headliner, rear seat belt, and at least 3 cup holders. I also must use 2 keys since the ignition problem required them to make a change (one key for the door, one for the ignition). The trunk release button in the glove box does not work. I have spent MUCH more $ maintaining and repairing this vehicle than the Toyota Camry which preceeded it. Still looks nice, but I would not buy another VW

Best Car I've Owned
By Mark Edwin on 06/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I really can't understand why this car has such a low rating. I've had virtually no problems with it. The styling is a lot better than the newer models (main reason I haven't bought a new Passat), it has more interior room than much larger cars, and I've enjoyed rock solid reliability. This car has made me a VW fan for life. There are some small complaints-- the door latch mechanism has needed repair, and the car does lack power in the low end. But once you get up to about 45 it's great. Extremely surefooted handled. Always feel safe and know is going to do what I expect it to do. Interior quality excellent. Great "personality"-- and unique, too!

Do NOT buy!!!
By AntiVW on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

We bought our Passat from an indep. seller last year and since then have spent nearly $700 in repairs. It has also spent over 3 months at dealer, fixing recalls and trying to figure out tranny problems. Now we're trying to trade it in for an Am. car despite tranny problems, and the fan motor dies! Almost killed the one good thing on car: v6 engine. NEVER will I buy a VW again...luckily found AWESOME VW mechanic, but still high $ of repairs have put us in poor house. Unless you're rich or you're a VW mechanic, DO NOT buy VW!