1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
best engine and tranny combo
By 60buick on 08/18/13 19:04 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

I love my passat, I bought mine with 127K miles and it has 291K now. It's roomy, comfortable, and a pleasure to drive. Has good all around visibility. True the door handles are a pain and the window regulators go, but the car has never let me down and I get about 43 mpg average. It's paying for itself. Important to find a good diesel vw mechanic as most shops haven't a clue. My goal was to keep it until 300K, but I'm going as far as I don't have to do any major engine work. It's going to be a sad day when I retire this baby

LOVE IT!
By cacree on 09/04/11 20:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

I bought my car from my brother in South Dakota for $100. It had been abused, and ran without oil, so my dad and I had to completely rebuild it. After finally finishing this job, I know all about my car, and I love it. Even with it's peely paint. Best first car ever. I plan to keep it, and fix all my own problems for the rest of my life. :) Thank you Volkswagen! I love you!

Dependable work-horse
By ca_cowgirl on 06/19/11 09:37 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

I purchased my '96 TDI used with 125k miles, and it has turned out to be one of the most dependable cars I've ever owned. It now has 273k miles on the original engine. I'm quite impressed for a diesel, it's much quieter than Mercedes, does not smoke, burn oil, and it consistently gets 42-48MPG. I drove from Sacramento to Kennewick Washington on ONE TANK of diesel. Over the years, the car has began to "age", and as such, the door handles are faulty and cease up, the cup holders broke off, lid to glove box broke, and AC switch broke one really hot summer day. Other than that, this is a very comfortable driving, easy handling automobile that I will drive until the doors fall off.

680,000 and still running
By VW on the BRAIN on 05/31/09 17:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Wagon

I have been a VW fan since 65". This was my third VW, and my first wagon. I loved it, and still do, its had a few problems, door handles, wheel bearings, gears, speedometer, window motors, rust, spindles, locks, and Volkswagen scalloping back wheel wear. These w's, you either love em or hate them. This vehicle needs better headlamps, the plastic interior was shoddy, half of it busted. The cup holder snapped off, the glove box, broke, little thing like that can piss you off. The seat rails screwed up. The heated seats, were replaced but, the seats were never the same. The odometer went at 181 k, and it was 1200 bucks to fix. This car is fun to drive but you must have patience.

I Like It!
By middlemancrisis on 10/23/06 07:07 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Passat with 119,000 miles on it. It now has 161,000 and still pulls strong. I have had to replace belt tensioner, water pump, and other numerous little items that you'd expect to change at 150,000+ miles. Make sure that you have the intake cleaned after 75,000 miles! They tend to smoke more on start up with clogged intakes (typical for TDI's). The best gas mileage that I have gotten is 53 hwy in the summer, The worst was 39 mpg, in combined driving using winter diesel. The car feels solid and well built, except for the door handles. It is not an eye catcher, but it is rare. The stock seats are too stiff. Also, you lose noticeable power with the A/C on. This car has an excellent turning radius. It makes a great daily commuter.

Still one of the best wagons ever
By JerryCS on 03/21/06 11:01 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Wagon

This is the finest all around car I've ever owned: comfortable, quiet, amazing mpg, and a blast to drive. With sport suspension it handles like a sports car. The TDI diesel motor is powerful and fast, and extremely reliable. With 142,000 miles, it stilll has the original clutch. Its only downside is some of the VW body parts: door handles, window lifts. Everything else continues to work well and we still get 45 mpg on the highway, in a mid-size wagon, running it on 100% biodiesel-- an American grown, renewable fuel.

Luv the TDI
By Wes on 05/02/05 22:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

Delivers 42 city, 48 hgwy, 5-spd is fun to drive, a little smokey on start-up. Good in the snow.

Very Dependable!
By Thomas on 01/14/05 09:51 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 107,000 miles on it. My parents were the original owners. It has been a very dependable car that continually averages around 42 mpg combined driving. At 196,000 miles it still has the original alternator, ac compressor (blows ice-cold) oil pump, clutch, master cylinder, etc... Vehicle uses little to no oil. I have had to replace all of the door handles at around 160,000 miles. Also had to replace the reverse gear in the transmission. Blew it out when I was stuck in a snow drift. Window regulator has been replaced in drivers door twice. Overall great car!

passat tdi wagon
By a l c s on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Wagon

a great car to take road trips in. I could leave houston with a full tank and make it to the other sice of kansas city before we'd have to stop and fill up. Also comfortable for long trips. I've had no problems with 12 plus hour days behind the wheel. the only drawbacks being the usual cheaply made vw door handles.

Tdi rocks!
By C-bass on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

Well, i just bought this car from its original owner, and it's great, he hasn't had any problems with it, and i don't foresee anything major either.