Used 1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

best engine and tranny combo
By 60buick

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

I love my passat, I bought mine with 127K miles and it has 291K now. It's roomy, comfortable, and a pleasure to drive. Has good all around visibility. True the door handles are a pain and the window regulators go, but the car has never let me down and I get about 43 mpg average. It's paying for itself. Important to find a good diesel vw mechanic as most shops haven't a clue. My goal was to keep it until 300K, but I'm going as far as I don't have to do any major engine work. It's going to be a sad day when I retire this baby

LOVE IT!
By cacree

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

I bought my car from my brother in South Dakota for $100. It had been abused, and ran without oil, so my dad and I had to completely rebuild it. After finally finishing this job, I know all about my car, and I love it. Even with it's peely paint. Best first car ever. I plan to keep it, and fix all my own problems for the rest of my life. :) Thank you Volkswagen! I love you!

I love driving a manual.

I think the cloth on the roof of the inside, the paint, and the sunroof could use some work. And it would be nice if the window motors and door handles wouldn't break so often, but those are an easy fix if you know what you're doing.

Dependable work-horse
By ca_cowgirl

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

I purchased my '96 TDI used with 125k miles, and it has turned out to be one of the most dependable cars I've ever owned. It now has 273k miles on the original engine. I'm quite impressed for a diesel, it's much quieter than Mercedes, does not smoke, burn oil, and it consistently gets 42-48MPG. I drove from Sacramento to Kennewick Washington on ONE TANK of diesel. Over the years, the car has began to "age", and as such, the door handles are faulty and cease up, the cup holders broke off, lid to glove box broke, and AC switch broke one really hot summer day. Other than that, this is a very comfortable driving, easy handling automobile that I will drive until the doors fall off.

Cruise control, very cool AC, easy handling, comfortable back seats, even for adults.

Door handles, door handles, door handles. Interior design and layout of cupholders and glove box.

680,000 and still running
By VW on the BRAIN

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Wagon

I have been a VW fan since 65". This was my third VW, and my first wagon. I loved it, and still do, its had a few problems, door handles, wheel bearings, gears, speedometer, window motors, rust, spindles, locks, and Volkswagen scalloping back wheel wear. These w's, you either love em or hate them. This vehicle needs better headlamps, the plastic interior was shoddy, half of it busted. The cup holder snapped off, the glove box, broke, little thing like that can piss you off. The seat rails screwed up. The heated seats, were replaced but, the seats were never the same. The odometer went at 181 k, and it was 1200 bucks to fix. This car is fun to drive but you must have patience.

Heated seats, cd player, the air conditioning, was repaired three time, cost me 2000, and it still doesn't work, the clutch is great, the exhaust was expensive to fix. Great in snow, I work in the usa, and its very cold there. We spend our summers in Canada, its warmer there.

Better locks,plastic's,wheel bearings, headlamps,paint,and door handles

I Like It!
By middlemancrisis

1996 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Passat with 119,000 miles on it. It now has 161,000 and still pulls strong. I have had to replace belt tensioner, water pump, and other numerous little items that you'd expect to change at 150,000+ miles. Make sure that you have the intake cleaned after 75,000 miles! They tend to smoke more on start up with clogged intakes (typical for TDI's). The best gas mileage that I have gotten is 53 hwy in the summer, The worst was 39 mpg, in combined driving using winter diesel. The car feels solid and well built, except for the door handles. It is not an eye catcher, but it is rare. The stock seats are too stiff. Also, you lose noticeable power with the A/C on. This car has an excellent turning radius. It makes a great daily commuter.

I like how you can open and close all of the car's windows, including the moonroof, using the key in the door. The gas mileage (the sole reason I bought it) is great and it has pretty good power.

VW has already taken care of these will its newer models.