1996 Volkswagen Passat TDi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

1996 Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Sort Reviews by

680,000 and still running
By VW on the BRAIN

1996 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Wagon

I have been a VW fan since 65". This was my third VW, and my first wagon. I loved it, and still do, its had a few problems, door handles, wheel bearings, gears, speedometer, window motors, rust, spindles, locks, and Volkswagen scalloping back wheel wear. These w's, you either love em or hate them. This vehicle needs better headlamps, the plastic interior was shoddy, half of it busted. The cup holder snapped off, the glove box, broke, little thing like that can piss you off. The seat rails screwed up. The heated seats, were replaced but, the seats were never the same. The odometer went at 181 k, and it was 1200 bucks to fix. This car is fun to drive but you must have patience.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, cd player, the air conditioning, was repaired three time, cost me 2000, and it still doesn't work, the clutch is great, the exhaust was expensive to fix. Great in snow, I work in the usa, and its very cold there. We spend our summers in Canada, its warmer there.

Suggested Improvements

Better locks,plastic's,wheel bearings, headlamps,paint,and door handles

Still one of the best wagons ever
By JerryCS

1996 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Wagon

This is the finest all around car I've ever owned: comfortable, quiet, amazing mpg, and a blast to drive. With sport suspension it handles like a sports car. The TDI diesel motor is powerful and fast, and extremely reliable. With 142,000 miles, it stilll has the original clutch. Its only downside is some of the VW body parts: door handles, window lifts. Everything else continues to work well and we still get 45 mpg on the highway, in a mid-size wagon, running it on 100% biodiesel-- an American grown, renewable fuel.

Favorite Features

TDI motor, comfortable seating with 5 way adjustments, 8 speaker VW sound system, exceptional handling.

Suggested Improvements

Easier access to oil filter, redesigned door handles, and no fifth injector-- all of which have been done on newer Passats.

passat tdi wagon
By a l c s

1996 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Wagon

a great car to take road trips in. I could leave houston with a full tank and make it to the other sice of kansas city before we'd have to stop and fill up. Also comfortable for long trips. I've had no problems with 12 plus hour days behind the wheel. the only drawbacks being the usual cheaply made vw door handles.

Favorite Features

cruise control. sound system, automatic window closing feature.

Suggested Improvements

cheap door handles. why vw can't make a door handle that will last more than 6 years is beyond me