1996 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
680,000 and still running
By VW on the BRAIN on 05/31/09 17:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Wagon

I have been a VW fan since 65". This was my third VW, and my first wagon. I loved it, and still do, its had a few problems, door handles, wheel bearings, gears, speedometer, window motors, rust, spindles, locks, and Volkswagen scalloping back wheel wear. These w's, you either love em or hate them. This vehicle needs better headlamps, the plastic interior was shoddy, half of it busted. The cup holder snapped off, the glove box, broke, little thing like that can piss you off. The seat rails screwed up. The heated seats, were replaced but, the seats were never the same. The odometer went at 181 k, and it was 1200 bucks to fix. This car is fun to drive but you must have patience.

Still one of the best wagons ever
By JerryCS on 03/21/06 11:01 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Wagon

This is the finest all around car I've ever owned: comfortable, quiet, amazing mpg, and a blast to drive. With sport suspension it handles like a sports car. The TDI diesel motor is powerful and fast, and extremely reliable. With 142,000 miles, it stilll has the original clutch. Its only downside is some of the VW body parts: door handles, window lifts. Everything else continues to work well and we still get 45 mpg on the highway, in a mid-size wagon, running it on 100% biodiesel-- an American grown, renewable fuel.

passat tdi wagon
By a l c s on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Wagon

a great car to take road trips in. I could leave houston with a full tank and make it to the other sice of kansas city before we'd have to stop and fill up. Also comfortable for long trips. I've had no problems with 12 plus hour days behind the wheel. the only drawbacks being the usual cheaply made vw door handles.