1996 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
runs forever
By carracer on 06/17/05 09:21 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLS 4dr Sedan

I've had this 1996 passat since it was brand new and it's been in the shop no more than 3 or 4 times. I have the car in a manual (I hate automatics) and the ORIGINAL clutch is still working perfectly. There's a little rust on the drivers side door, but I live in a heavily salted part of Vermont, so that's understandable. The fuel economy is great for such an old car (28-34 mpg). The gearing gets a little iffy on the highway with a 4 cylinder (it does 70mph at 3200 rpm). Overall a really nice car with a great audio system in a car that refuses to fail.

Car Care is the Cure
By 4N-Fever on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLS 4dr Sedan

My wife and I have owned our Passat for almost 4 years and we love it. Plenty of room for the kids(x2) stuff and luggage. In those 4 years we have replaced the timing belt twice (due to high milage) and the water pump as well. We have put on 3 sets of tires, changed the oil and filter approx 20 times and had the radiator flushed twice. I guess what I'm saying is, proper or preventative car care/maintainence will keep your car going for a long time. The down side which there are some are the resale value seems low, the drivers side window regulator broke, the door handles do not always open the doors, the air lock system sometimes fail and the check engine light remains on all the time.

Many minor and major problems
By no longer a VW fan on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLS 4dr Sedan

Great feel when driving. After 3 years, there were many electrical failures. When temperature outside is below 20 degrees, door would not shut, ignition key gets struck. Needles on dashboard do not work. I have heard others with this problem: THE CHECK ENGINE light stays on for no reason, Now in its; 7th year, all indicators on the dashboard are not working, including the digital ones. Dealer tell me it is an electrical and mechanical problem.

1996 VW Passat
By ex-passat owner on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLS 4dr Sedan

Performance, even after 100,000 miles, was very good - tight cornering, sufficiently-powered engine, nice steering, solid suspension. For its size, the Passat has a very large trunk and lots of room elsewhere. HOWEVER... Reliability was VERY poor. Despite the car's solid feel, in the 3 years I kept it on the road, it was rarely without a problem of some sort. I put an average of $1200 of repairs into it annually, and I still never managed to catch up with everything that went wrong. Finally, to replace the failing flywheel, given the low value of the car, would have been unreasonable.

96 Passat GLS
By PO on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLS 4dr Sedan

Great car! Fun to drive, lots of space for an affordable german car, great fuel economy.

Run, Do not Walk Away from this car!
By Lucy McGuire on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1996 Passat in August 2002. Initially, I had to replace the muffler system (under warranty). Next, the engine light came on and the cruise control stopped working. For the next 3 weeks I never had the car for more than 2 days between trips to the repair shop. First, the distributor cap, coil wire, etc. went. After the garage pronounced that fixed, the engine light was still on but they assured me that there was no need to worry. Not even 24 hours later, the car died again. This time it is the transmission. The projected cost to fix it now is 2500.00.

great car
By vw fan on 03/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLS 4dr Sedan

The 1.8L, 8 valve engine is a bit under powered for this size vehicle. The gas milage is a good balance / trade off to the power, (24 city/ 28 highway). It is a nice commuter car. Built very sturdy. 125,000 mile and not a penny of maintenance besides oil changes and tune ups. Nice stif european ride. handles well for a non sports car. Negatives: disapointing resale value, 14" wheels/tires.