Used 1995 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

1995 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

It's a keeper
By VW enthusist

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car purchase. I've always wanted a VW. In 1995 this car offered the most features for the money of any comparable vehicle, bar none. I've had much pleasure driving it and will continue to do so indefinitely, especially considering its ridiculously low resale value. BTW: What's with everyone dogging the cup holders? (Even Consumer Reports didn't like them in 1995.) You guys are crazy. The cup holders are one of its best features. They're perfectly positioned and can hold a great range of sizes and shapes, including a regular sized coffee mug if you fold the neck brace down and use only the nonslip base.

Favorite Features

Solid feel, superb paint quality (still shines like new), comfortable seats (even on long trips), cup holders, multi-function computer, German engineering

Suggested Improvements

More power (lethargic starting out in 1st with passengers and A/C on)

expensive repairs, but a fun car
By bullrunner

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

owned the car for eight years; driven 130000+km; I absolutely love the car; however, every time I take it to the dealers for maintenance, it's costing me an arm and a leg. I have experienced a worn wheel bearing, oil filter seal leak, ignition firing system replacement, etc. Contrary to what other reviewers have claimed, I don't have much electrical problems. Anyways, this car corners like it's on rails, especially if you fix the "toe" to all 4 wheels. This car is not very suitable for cold weather. The door, its windows, and the lock freeze. It's very important not to wash the car during winter.

Favorite Features

Features are just features. One grows out of fancy options. The best thing is the drivetrain, extremely responsive, and highway acceleration is tremendously powerful.

Suggested Improvements

lowering of cost repairs. If the car breaks down with major problem, I'd be in a world of pain.

Do not buy an Automatic
By Scott Maish

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

I bought my 1995 Passat Wagon GLX in June of 2002 for $6000, with 100K. Soon after buying the car, the automatic transmission began to fail. The dealer wants $5600 to fix the transmission, and almost no other transmission repair shop will touch the car. Finding a used transmission is next to impossible. Other expensive items that I need to fix include struts ($1000) and trunk latch ($400). From my research, this car is more expensive to repair than a BMW. The cost of maintaining the car exceeds the value. Buy this car and you are asking for a headache and an empty wallet!

Favorite Features

Performance, enginee, wagon features

Suggested Improvements

Transmission and repair costs are unbelievable

I have really LOVED this car
By elim2003

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLS 4dr Sedan

Have had NO engine problems - everyone always tells me the car looks only a couple yrs. old at most - partly due to great quality paint (and my upkeep) - Excellent gas mileage - never broken down on me once - I am trading it in soon to get a new car because this 1 is going on 8 yrs. old, but I have LOVED it!

Favorite Features

Great handling esp. in turns, Quality material inside and out, Excellent acceleration when needed

Suggested Improvements

1 thing I do not like - too much wind noise

Unreliable
By Jamar

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

One of the best riding cars I've ever owned. Unfortunately it left me stranded several times, and is insanely expensive to fix! Sold it recently and will not buy another VW.

Favorite Features

seats are very comfortable, loved all the extras.

Suggested Improvements

Make it more reliable and less expensive to fix. I spent $650 for a new water pump, and I sold it after being quoted $7000 to fix the transmition! (CDN)