1995 Volkswagen Passat GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

1995 Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Sort Reviews by

Fun to drive!
By sdutta

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car is fun fun fun to drive! Also has lots of great options, leather seats and black dash look great. I bought the 5-speed manual, and after you get moving, the power really kicks in, plus it has that wonderful solid German feel. I also prefer this exterior design to the newer, more rounded models. Lots of room too. Highly recommend.

Favorite Features

Leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holder.

decent
By not too bad

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Have had minor problems, but mostly because of the mileage. Have replaced all wheel bearings plus front axles. Brakes have just been replaced as well. Otherwise...not much. A strange occurence: the fuel injector stopped working one day, took it out, and put it back in on a hunch and it has worked for 4 months since. Also have had the door lock freezing problem (minnesota).

Favorite Features

leather interior, heated seats, moonroof, etc

Suggested Improvements

engine compartment is very cramped.

Trouble, Trouble, Trouble
By never again

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Since I bought this car 4 years ago, I have had nothing but problems. For example, I am on my 7th set of ignition wires (literally), and have had to replace/repair A LOT of other items. I have spent over a thousand dollars a year on maintenance, hoping that it would finally be all fixed. Well, based on the advice of my mechanic who has to tell me the size of the repair bill every time, I have finally decided to just sell the car. The dealer, Devon Hill, in Philadelphia ripped me off on repairs initially until I figured out that a local mechanic was much cheaper (and more polite). I will probably never buy another VW, certainly not from Devon Hill!

Great Sleeper
By Crazy Driver

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this GLX w/ 111,500 miles. Currently has 135,000 clocked. I just did the clutch, I've had to do the waterneck and trunk lock. No trouble hitting 130 MPH. Average 27 MPG at 75-80 MPH highway. 22 City. Comfortable, Dependable, GREAT A/C. Only negs are the cup holder,body creak, and the VW DEALER, not the used dealer I bought it from. THis was VW # 6, Passat #1. Very happy so far. Still don't know why the sunroof closes when I honk the horn though.

Favorite Features

Love the A/C, ABS Brakes, trip computer, Key up/down windows, seat configuration.

Suggested Improvements

Body Creak, Better Cup Holder, tire size.

Quick little car
By listoff

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 92,000 miles. Aparently the previous owners never did scheduled maintenance on the car, so I dished out some cash to get it in top running shape initially. I haven't had a problem since. It's a quick car with the VR6 engine and it handles great. I have a lead foot, so I average 16-23 miles per gallon. Others get about 22-26 miles per gallon when they drive it.

Favorite Features

The heated leather seats and all the interior gadgets keep passengers busy for hours.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had a little bit better stopping performance, but overall, I dig this car. Also, a better cup- holder would be nice.

Still look at it with admiration
By CTNutmegger

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my Passat used. My car had all options - minus the automatic transmission. Repairs can be expensive. Little things have gone here and there but overall, the car has been a solid investment.

Favorite Features

Power and handling and exterior design. I still think this car looks sharp.

Suggested Improvements

Quirky electronics. Doors won't seal when it's very cold. You have to turn the heat on high and warm the door...eventually the door lock will engage. I had this same problem with my Jetta and other VW owners here in the Northeast complain of the same thing.

Very Good Buy
By Name

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLS 4dr Sedan

My overall satisfaction is positive. There were a few problems like the fuel pump which died soon after I bought the car. If you happen to hear a whistling sound from underneath the car it is probably the fuel pump going bad. Also, the engine warning light frequently comes on. I had it checked but the mechanic could not find anything wrong with it.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride...

Suggested Improvements

More power. It is a heavy car and it needs v6 engine.

A FANTASTIC CAR !!!
By AMSTELNIGHT

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

THIS HAS BEEN THE MOST RELIABLE AND FUN CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED. JUST BOUGHT 2002 PASSAT GLX.. BUT THIS '95 I WILL NEVER PART WITH

Favorite Features

EXCELLENT FEATURES !

Suggested Improvements

NONE

excellent
By Reggae Ash

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

absolutely dependable and no problems whatsoever,made in Germany little Mercedes

Suggested Improvements

buy it if you have the chance

fun 2 drive
By derrick

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

The Passat has been a fun car to drive especially at highway speeds. Most of my miles have come from highway driving. This car handles driving in inclimate weather with ease..snow, rain no problem. Only one draw back, parts can be expensive!

Favorite Features

Overall handling

Suggested Improvements

Lower the part prices