1995 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
It's a keeper
By VW enthusist on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car purchase. I've always wanted a VW. In 1995 this car offered the most features for the money of any comparable vehicle, bar none. I've had much pleasure driving it and will continue to do so indefinitely, especially considering its ridiculously low resale value. BTW: What's with everyone dogging the cup holders? (Even Consumer Reports didn't like them in 1995.) You guys are crazy. The cup holders are one of its best features. They're perfectly positioned and can hold a great range of sizes and shapes, including a regular sized coffee mug if you fold the neck brace down and use only the nonslip base.

expensive repairs, but a fun car
By bullrunner on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

owned the car for eight years; driven 130000+km; I absolutely love the car; however, every time I take it to the dealers for maintenance, it's costing me an arm and a leg. I have experienced a worn wheel bearing, oil filter seal leak, ignition firing system replacement, etc. Contrary to what other reviewers have claimed, I don't have much electrical problems. Anyways, this car corners like it's on rails, especially if you fix the "toe" to all 4 wheels. This car is not very suitable for cold weather. The door, its windows, and the lock freeze. It's very important not to wash the car during winter.

Do not buy an Automatic
By Scott Maish on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

I bought my 1995 Passat Wagon GLX in June of 2002 for $6000, with 100K. Soon after buying the car, the automatic transmission began to fail. The dealer wants $5600 to fix the transmission, and almost no other transmission repair shop will touch the car. Finding a used transmission is next to impossible. Other expensive items that I need to fix include struts ($1000) and trunk latch ($400). From my research, this car is more expensive to repair than a BMW. The cost of maintaining the car exceeds the value. Buy this car and you are asking for a headache and an empty wallet!

I have really LOVED this car
By elim2003 on 02/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLS 4dr Sedan

Have had NO engine problems - everyone always tells me the car looks only a couple yrs. old at most - partly due to great quality paint (and my upkeep) - Excellent gas mileage - never broken down on me once - I am trading it in soon to get a new car because this 1 is going on 8 yrs. old, but I have LOVED it!

Unreliable
By Jamar on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

One of the best riding cars I've ever owned. Unfortunately it left me stranded several times, and is insanely expensive to fix! Sold it recently and will not buy another VW.

Love VW....hate the dealers
By klimtone on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I have a beautiful dark purple 1995 Volkswagen GLX, with a spoiler on the back and a Neuspeed chip. I love the car, but have had NOTHING but problems from Vyletel Buick/Volkswagen and then Suburban Volkswagen in Troy. I took it in for an oil leak and they "blew up" the motor" (their words). Told me I had a new motor in it's place and it still leaks oil, if not more. Aside from my back driver's side window not working and some sort of leak with the power locks (one hears them for a while), I am still happy

Good Bye Passat
By NoMoreVW4Me! on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 95 Passat 1 year old with 20K miles. At 43280 the engine had a compression problem, and was completely rebuilt by the dealer under an extended warranty. At 92114 the intermediary oil shaft broke and as a result the valves were bent and the dealer thought it would be cheaper to put in a rebuilt engine than try to fix it. They wanted $5700 to fix a car that was worth maybe $7000. Less than 4 weeks earlier I had paid the same dealer $1300 for a 90K service and various repairs (front window, serpentine belt, coolant flush, etc). My wife's Jetta's engine is being replaced (warranty) right now at 49K miles. These are all city/hwy miles (ie. no off roading, abuse, etc)

Great car with electrical issues
By Waters on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I have been driving this car for the past 16 months. I really enjoy the car, but have experienced some electrical problems. The power windows recently stopped working for the passinger front and rear windows, as well as for the sunroof. Occasionally, the car does not start unless I get out and unlock the door with the key (weird!). I was told that it would cost just under $2k to fix the window issue. Otherwise, the car is great, powerful and fun to drive.I am not sure whether I should fix the car or trade it in.

luxury without the price
By gooddocl on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new. It is a performance car with a luxury feel. Very limited down time. I think the design of the '95 is much better than the newer models. I plan to drive this car until it dies, which should not be for a long time.

passatswheellyhappening
By passatwheelhappen on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 60000 miles. I am over 100,000 now. At 6ft 5inches tall I am quite comfortable; when I go through the shifting of the 5 speed manual I'm having a good time. Touching the accelerator to get to 65- 70 mph is quick and efficient. I have some concerns about the electrical things that go on. I'm having starter motor ? or is it ignition problems? Does anyone know? The doors are difficult to open at times.I'v had some replacements up to this point; $$$$$ I enjoy this 95 VW car that has the body design that in not inferior to today's stuff.