1995 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
good cheap replacement car
By nate on 01/25/10 20:44 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

i bought this car to replace my blazer that gave up the ghost, i've had alot of little electrical problems, a broken door handle, bad window motor, and some idle issues, but overall i like it, it needs work but ill fix the stuff and drive it another 170k

Worst car I've owned
By stan on 08/23/09 19:45 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for $3500 in 2006 with 130k. Almost immediately the car began draining my bank account. Broken items in three years: Windows, door handles, ABS light, interior ceiling cloth, cup holders, defroster, wipers. These are the things that I could sort of fix on my own or do without. Then there was the ignition switch (twice) ignition relay, brakes (twice) and a coolant tube connection. All told, I spent more than $5000 in maintenance costs in 3 years of ownership. The car also sat in a shop for a total of about 10 weeks over that period while mechanics tried to fix it, waited for parts, tried again, etc. Finally the fuel pump went out, (~$500) and I traded it in.

sooooo sad...
By ktp on 03/20/08 20:22 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used two years ago from a dealer with 110K miles. It's a five speed and was fun to drive for the first month until it started to fall apart. Currently, only the driver door opens from the outside, the rear passenger-side window does not work (was told it would cost over 1k to fix), the rear defrost does not work, the antenna broke in half, and the clutch is slipping. I've replaced the fuel pump (which set me back over 1.25K) along with many other parts. The wheels are hard to find and VERY expensive, not to mention are performance tires and only last 20K miles. Ohhhh!! And get this, no glove compartment or front cup holders!! What's the deal VW?

Everything is good but the electronics
By Jared Purton on 07/15/07 20:26 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I really enjoy driving the car and it has not given me any problems mechanically. It handles curves in the road and different driving conditions with ease. However it does do some weird things electrically, which initially were amusing but now are getting me down. The ABS light is on 90% of the time but the power windows are now working only occasionally. They used to start working again if I adjusted the mirrors (what the?) but now two of them are frozen. I hesitate to replace the motors in them since the do work occasionally and it feels like the problem is electrical rather than mechanical.

Zippie Car
By haveacigar on 02/13/07 06:40 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I am only 17 and this is my second car, my first was a 1988 BMW, and it had issues so I bought the Passat. It currently has no heater core, but I plan on replacing it. It is an auto which I was a little skeptical about, but it is still lots of fun to drive. It's pretty quick and handles great. So far the only problem I have had is the heater core, but I've only had it for a little over a week and the heated seats help a little bit. However I drive almost every car I get into hard it probably won't be long before I break something else. Until then I will have lots of fun and love the car. In short, this is a very zippie little car. It's nnot as fast as the Bimmer, but I still plan on fixing that.

Amazed
By amazed on 12/30/05 13:25 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought 1995 Volkswagen Passat off a salesman, I ran it , then my wife did, and now my daughter is. That VR6 motor is awesome. It handles like dream and opening the air box and a K & N air filter improves gas mileage and performance. Unfortunately, this car is is expensive to repair and the electrical features inside break quite a bit. The ABS pump went, the windows go up and down by themselves, it has nad problems with the ignition, I could keep going.

Excellent car for cheap price
By Jonathan on 05/30/05 22:28 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car i bought at an auction for 2k dollars. i was skeptical at first because of the high miles and automatic but it runs with muscle. Gas is around 16 on city and about 25-30 on highway but if you treat it right (i dont) then it will go 18-20 city. alot of storage in this car and alot of power for a VR6 auto. would recommend a 5 speed and can run forever because passats are 100% german. No Mexico in this baby:-)

Fantastic VW
By Ivan on 12/02/04 14:35 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This is currently my 3rd Passat. I just recently sold my 91 16v, and now i am moving on to a VR6. This car is a blast! It's solid it dosn't require a timing belt and no other repairs (VR6's are with a chain). Drives awsome but more importantantly it keeps my money where it should be, in my wallet not in the mechanic's pocket. If you aren't convinced on a VW then take one out for a drive i know i did, 6 years ago, and ever since i have been a VW man!

Fun car to drive but too many issues
By Doug E Fresh on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 100K on it. I have always loved VWs but this one had been problematic. Fun, fast car to drive once you get out of first. I have had same problems as other reviewer, door latches that stick/freeze, broken power windows, broken heated seats, new ignition coils and wire. I would love to try a new Passat but am very uncertain about quality of workmanship. VW needs to update their quality or loose customers

It's a keeper
By VW enthusist on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car purchase. I've always wanted a VW. In 1995 this car offered the most features for the money of any comparable vehicle, bar none. I've had much pleasure driving it and will continue to do so indefinitely, especially considering its ridiculously low resale value. BTW: What's with everyone dogging the cup holders? (Even Consumer Reports didn't like them in 1995.) You guys are crazy. The cup holders are one of its best features. They're perfectly positioned and can hold a great range of sizes and shapes, including a regular sized coffee mug if you fold the neck brace down and use only the nonslip base.