Used 1995 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

good cheap replacement car
By nate

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

i bought this car to replace my blazer that gave up the ghost, i've had alot of little electrical problems, a broken door handle, bad window motor, and some idle issues, but overall i like it, it needs work but ill fix the stuff and drive it another 170k

Favorite Features

spacious interior and trunk, good mileage, and fun to drive, great handling

Suggested Improvements

lots of electrical bugs,more part availability

Worst car I've owned
By stan

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for $3500 in 2006 with 130k. Almost immediately the car began draining my bank account. Broken items in three years: Windows, door handles, ABS light, interior ceiling cloth, cup holders, defroster, wipers. These are the things that I could sort of fix on my own or do without. Then there was the ignition switch (twice) ignition relay, brakes (twice) and a coolant tube connection. All told, I spent more than $5000 in maintenance costs in 3 years of ownership. The car also sat in a shop for a total of about 10 weeks over that period while mechanics tried to fix it, waited for parts, tried again, etc. Finally the fuel pump went out, (~$500) and I traded it in.

Favorite Features

Heated seats. Nice engine power, acceleration and handling. Rides smooth.

Suggested Improvements

You kidding me? How about a car that is reliable? This thing left me stranded on three separate occasions.

sooooo sad...
By ktp

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used two years ago from a dealer with 110K miles. It's a five speed and was fun to drive for the first month until it started to fall apart. Currently, only the driver door opens from the outside, the rear passenger-side window does not work (was told it would cost over 1k to fix), the rear defrost does not work, the antenna broke in half, and the clutch is slipping. I've replaced the fuel pump (which set me back over 1.25K) along with many other parts. The wheels are hard to find and VERY expensive, not to mention are performance tires and only last 20K miles. Ohhhh!! And get this, no glove compartment or front cup holders!! What's the deal VW?

Favorite Features

5 speed, comfortable, solid frame (was t-boned with no dents)

Suggested Improvements

where to begin?! cup holders in front, glove compartment, electrical, door handles, more reliable tires, etc., etc.

Everything is good but the electronics
By Jared Purton

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I really enjoy driving the car and it has not given me any problems mechanically. It handles curves in the road and different driving conditions with ease. However it does do some weird things electrically, which initially were amusing but now are getting me down. The ABS light is on 90% of the time but the power windows are now working only occasionally. They used to start working again if I adjusted the mirrors (what the?) but now two of them are frozen. I hesitate to replace the motors in them since the do work occasionally and it feels like the problem is electrical rather than mechanical.

Favorite Features

Driving is a lot of fun. It's great for roadtrips and has plenty of room for friends. It hasn't ever broken down.

Suggested Improvements

The ignition coils for each cylinder should be separate instead of in a block since if one goes you have to replace all of them. Surely the electrics can be improved, not everyone finds gremlins in their electrical items amusing.

Zippie Car
By haveacigar

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I am only 17 and this is my second car, my first was a 1988 BMW, and it had issues so I bought the Passat. It currently has no heater core, but I plan on replacing it. It is an auto which I was a little skeptical about, but it is still lots of fun to drive. It's pretty quick and handles great. So far the only problem I have had is the heater core, but I've only had it for a little over a week and the heated seats help a little bit. However I drive almost every car I get into hard it probably won't be long before I break something else. Until then I will have lots of fun and love the car. In short, this is a very zippie little car. It's nnot as fast as the Bimmer, but I still plan on fixing that.

Favorite Features

The heated seats, power windows, large trunk, leather interior, VR6 DOHC engine, and I can lock virtually everything in the car. I like almost everything except the heater core right now I'm not happy about that.

Suggested Improvements

The rear view mirror doesn't adjust very well. The seats don't recline very far. I think thats it.