1994 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

1994 Passat Consumer Reviews

GLX V6 2.8L V6 5-speed Manual - (5 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Rare Find Proves to be a Great Buy
By J-Money

1994 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the Passat almost a year and a half ago and I couldn't ask for a better car. The Passat appealed to me not only because of it's good looks, sports car handling, and awesome performance from the VR6 but because it's relatively rare and I know that I wouldn't see my car driving around EVERYWHERE. The only gripes that I have about this car are that there are no cup holders, the automatic transmission is slow to downshift going up hills and that maintenence is are costly, but it's worth every penny. Also, I need new tires soon and they are hard to come by as the stock 15" BBS rims are an unusual size (215/50HR15) and Tirerack only has three kinds, two of which are summer tires. The all season tires are $109/tire.

Favorite Features

The power moonroof, front and rear spoiler, BBS rims, trip computer that gives time, trip time, mpg, oil temp, and outside temp, auto down windows which go up if you hold the key in the doorhandle (outside) while locking the car, VR6 engine which has tons of power, reclining rear seat, and automatic seatbelts.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders!

great car
By vdub60

1994 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 145,000 on the clock and what a great car it is. I need to replace the 5 speed tranny sometime , as 3 and 4 syncros are toast. I must say I really love this car though. Great handling, good power, and comfy as hell. Oh, and for $1400 I stole it. If you can get a reasonable price, go for it. I'll buy another VW in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Leather, VR6, great heater, good looking car

Suggested Improvements

none. great car for the year.

1994 VR6 2.8 Passat
By Milton Olfonse

1994 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Very good car that could be great. Lots of interior and trunk room for 5ppl. Nice layout, but there are no air bags for safety... this makes thia a very dangerous investment at this time for anyone. The car has had a number of failing issues - Recalled fan unit that actually went on fire in this car...$890 to replace although it was subject later to a recall. Again, good auto, however buy at your peril!!!

Favorite Features

Tha sweet shifter and clutch

Suggested Improvements

Many - Sunroof mechanicals, A/C unit functions, Floor mats, Wind noise, speakers. Power seat are needed here. Where are the air bags in a 1994?

Great Car
By JohnWey

1994 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

The Passat is a great vehicle. Only problem and it's been a big one is that after 115000 miles my transmission gave out. My mechanic who sent it to an authorized VW service center has had the car on and off for the last 3 months while they try to work out the kinks. Have a 1987 Quantum(the original Passat) and after over 200000 miles the original transmission gave out. Lets see an American car do that.

Favorite Features

Overall, the best car I've ever owned, in spite of the transmission problem.

Suggested Improvements

Dislike the non-grill front end.

Can't beat it - better than Accord
By NicnBob

1994 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

We've owned the Passat since new in 1994. We test drove the Honda Accord, Mitubishi Galant, and Ford Taurus. Honda was intriguing but more expensive by several grand. The other two were just not in the same class. Hands down the Passat was the most fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive factor! Farvergnugen!! The VR6 2.8L 6-cylinder engine is amazing!

Suggested Improvements

Add cupholders. Later models did. The 94 model had a weird quirk in that only one window could be going up or down at a time. You have to wait for your passengers to stop moving theirs before others can. Odd. Easy to get accustomed to. Has since been fixed.