Used 1993 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

1993 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Still going strong, it was well worth it
By Conman

1993 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car is still a strong performer even though it is 17 years old. The engine is strong smooth and when pressed will surprise the hell out of you. The build quality is Volkswagen through and through. The automatic trasmission performs but I still prefer the 5 speed manual. For $250.00 this car was worth the expense.

Favorite Features

My favorate feature has to be the leather seats and interior.

It's fixed
By dhyde1

1993 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

My passat was stalling and I found the problem. It was the MAF meter on the intake. The connectors were not making contact. I took a pen and pushed them in to the MAF and no more stalling. I was going to sell my passat but now I plan on keeping it until it dies.

Favorite Features

nice motor. handles well

Suggested Improvements

cup holders

Love hate relationship
By D Franklin

1993 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 11 years. I have put over $5,500 dollars in to getting it to run right. I had to fix the transmission $2,700 because of the trans cooler broke inside coolant and trans fluid mixed. If you can change your trans cooler every four years you might save your tranny. O2 sensor that was about $260. I fixed the sunroof. For years the car stalled when trying to go from a dead stop. I took it to 3 different dealers and they couldn't fix it. Tried the fuel pressure reg, fuel filter and fuel pump and even change the gas lines up front that attach to the fuel rail and the knock sensor all not the problem. The mass air flow sensor connector pins weren't making contact. Fixed

Favorite Features

It's fast nice trunk It rides smooth like a bigger car. Great engine.

Suggested Improvements

Well cup holders. If you buy one get a stick for sure.

German made beauty!
By Rowndo

1993 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Before 1993, in north america, all VW were made in Germany, that means better assembly process, better quality Components. I've bought it for 3000$ CND and put a 3500$ of reparation: front/rear adjustable suspension coil over kit, all the water cooling system, rebuilt the transmission and a good tune-up. I've put an extra 3000$ for a new paint job and put 17'x9 BBS rims with staggered tire. Now, everybody turns their heads and wonder what is that car. BMW 325 is no match to a passat like that, and i've tried it on a 1/4 mile track. If you plan to put an extra buck, that car is for you!

Favorite Features

-VR6 sound -Vr6 Torque -GLX is full equipped (leather, electric group, sunroof, spoiler, V6) -Digital Cluster

Suggested Improvements

Like everybody else: CUP HOLDER -Regular door locking system, not a air pressure system. -rear speaker should have been 6x9 to get minimum of bass -Nose panel should have an air trap. -Oil cooler because it heat up really fast, the oil get thiner = more friction in the piston chamber.

Best "Bang for the buck"
By Dudley Henrys

1993 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan

The car looks good, I get the fully loaded version. Heated seats, moonroof, leather seats, power locks, automatic power windows and moonroof, cd changer, trip computer... too many to list. Best "bang for the buck". I love it!!!

Favorite Features

Not cheap looking inside and outside

Suggested Improvements

More HP, cup holders