1993 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Still going strong, it was well worth it
By Conman on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car is still a strong performer even though it is 17 years old. The engine is strong smooth and when pressed will surprise the hell out of you. The build quality is Volkswagen through and through. The automatic trasmission performs but I still prefer the 5 speed manual. For $250.00 this car was worth the expense.

It's fixed
By dhyde1 on 04/15/10 19:27 PM (PDT)

1993 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

My passat was stalling and I found the problem. It was the MAF meter on the intake. The connectors were not making contact. I took a pen and pushed them in to the MAF and no more stalling. I was going to sell my passat but now I plan on keeping it until it dies.

Love hate relationship
By D Franklin on 12/08/09 16:39 PM (PST)

1993 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 11 years. I have put over $5,500 dollars in to getting it to run right. I had to fix the transmission $2,700 because of the trans cooler broke inside coolant and trans fluid mixed. If you can change your trans cooler every four years you might save your tranny. O2 sensor that was about $260. I fixed the sunroof. For years the car stalled when trying to go from a dead stop. I took it to 3 different dealers and they couldn't fix it. Tried the fuel pressure reg, fuel filter and fuel pump and even change the gas lines up front that attach to the fuel rail and the knock sensor all not the problem. The mass air flow sensor connector pins weren't making contact. Fixed

German made beauty!
By Rowndo on 08/19/08 09:33 AM (PDT)

1993 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

Before 1993, in north america, all VW were made in Germany, that means better assembly process, better quality Components. I've bought it for 3000$ CND and put a 3500$ of reparation: front/rear adjustable suspension coil over kit, all the water cooling system, rebuilt the transmission and a good tune-up. I've put an extra 3000$ for a new paint job and put 17'x9 BBS rims with staggered tire. Now, everybody turns their heads and wonder what is that car. BMW 325 is no match to a passat like that, and i've tried it on a 1/4 mile track. If you plan to put an extra buck, that car is for you!

Best "Bang for the buck"
By Dudley Henrys on 01/28/08 22:06 PM (PST)

1993 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

The car looks good, I get the fully loaded version. Heated seats, moonroof, leather seats, power locks, automatic power windows and moonroof, cd changer, trip computer... too many to list. Best "bang for the buck". I love it!!!

Trouble Maker
By Wax on 03/20/07 14:48 PM (PDT)

1993 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but trouble. I have put 30,000 miles on it in 3.5 years. It now has 143,000 miles. I have had to replace ignition coil ($500), upper radiator hose ($200), rear shocks ($350), muffler ($100), brake pads and rotors ($400), the tranny is sloppy (flush and fill, $300), cruise control only works half of the time, all door handles are shot, and the ABS-horn-power seat belt-rear defrost all don't work. This car is fun to drive, but absolutely brutal with repairs. Don't buy a Passat from the 90s.

Fun Car
By Luke on 03/03/07 22:34 PM (PST)

1993 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought a 10 year-old Passat and put a lot of work into it. It's been a very enjoyable car. It is a sturdy Teutonic poor-man's Volvo, complete with spoiler and 5-speed manual. It is fun to drive and it has held up well. It has had a few fuel system problems and it needed a new heater core. The ABS system is finally beginning to go at 115,000 miles.

Good deal...watch for expensive repairs.
By Mark on 09/23/05 13:20 PM (PDT)

1993 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

I bought my 1993 Volkswagen Passat with 76,000 miles on it. The previous owner had a dispute with a local repair shop who toasted the old engine by draining oil during an oil change and forgetting to add oil again and driving vehicle, which screwed up the engine. So 30,000 miles ago a brand new engine was put in. The car runs well, operates smoothly, and is great on highway trips. I had to recently replace the electric ignition switch and distributor ($625 total, parts/labor) so repairs can be costly. The overall quality is nice!

Passat 1993 vr6
By dhyde1 on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with about 52,500 miles on it. It drove fine for about 3,000 miles and then bamm. It started stalling when going over speed bumps. I thought it was the gas but that's not it. Now it cuts off on me sometimes when rolling slow with the foot off of the gas. Left turns are turning into a life or death risk. I did really like this car but man playing chicken everyday is getting old.

Good car
By Mike F. on 03/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Volkswagen Passat GL 4dr Sedan

These engines are known to last well into 200k.