Used 1992 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

after 18 years never stop
By Rogerio Albino

1992 Volkswagen Passat CL 4dr Sedan

I’m a owner of a Passat Cl 1.6td since 2002 and the car it´s from the year 1922 and never let me on foot. 312000 KM and only needs changes of oil, filters some belts to prevent end Diesel. Of course it’s not too funny to drive it but we can make some travels and you not tired when you stop. Globally has a very good construction, without parasite noises (I have friends whit new cars whit a lot of noises because de construction and plastics…), very very good friability, and whit a maintenance very cheap.

comfort, maintenance, construction

Cheap Beater
By RoughRider

1992 Volkswagen Passat GL 4dr Sedan

Bought the car for $800 = lots of margin for repair costs. 190K mi when bought 194K miles now. Avg 39mpg, hi 42, low 23 (teaching son to drive std). Total expenses to date (purchase, tax, title, tags, fuel and repairs): $1925. Some body rust showing. Heater core went - replacement is MAJOR undertaking. Some electrical glitches (smack the dash in the right place to make things work). Sunroof issues. Headliner fabric came loose (removed it & painted the liner with textured flocking). Picked up car in sub-freezing temperatures in January, drove nonstop from eastern PA to north central IL, averaged 525 miles to 16 gallon fill-up @85mph. Would drive this car anywhere for the next 100K mi or so.

Cavernous trunk, great premium CLOTH seats, sporty 5 spd tranny, good power & performance, sunroof (when it works), split folding rear seat, good mileage for performance, low insurance (who would steal a 92 Passat?). Great first car for my son. Great road car with in-town utility.

Vacuum locking system??? What were they thinking? Sunroof mechanism needs work. Steering wheel adjustment locking mechanism is weak. E-brake system locks on. Headliner. Heidelberg "security" radio - get rid of it. Sun visor shrinkage and poor quality of materials. Strange light wiring setup. Horn?

Surprising
By Mason

1992 Volkswagen Passat GL 4dr Wagon

I bought the car for work and class. To be honest, I bought it as a junker for the winter, but after driving it 100+ miles 3 days in a row it surprises me. I am getting about 40 mpg and it's 18 gallon tank seems endless during the week. A lot of space for passengers and cargo to sit comfortably. Engine still running strong with almost perfect compression in each cylinder. Maybe I got lucky but this car for $800 was a steal. Runs great, drives better, and it's ready to tackle the NY Winter.

Curb Side Auto-lock on the passenger side door w/ alarm. Bins in cargo space built into the sides under the cargo shield. The power window switches for the back are in the center column. Seats fold down true flat after you lift the bottom seat and push the back against it. Protects front seats.

They already improved it so what's the point?

I would buy again
By Jones

1992 Volkswagen Passat GL 4dr Sedan

I have had this vehicle for probably over 10 years, and I just cannot seem to part with it. I love it; it has been one of my favorite cars to drive. It performs great even with the a/c on. It was very impressive driving in the mountains. I sat it up for a few years and I am in the process of getting it back into good driving condition. I had problems with the fuel system, very costly. I also had the timing belt break. I did not repair that motor, I replaced it with another engine from another passat I purchased. I changed over the a/c and it was ice cold until I let the car sit.

Great performance, roomy, and ice cold a/c.

A little on the noisy side. The car is very expensive to maintain, and is prone for expensive electrical problems.

Unfit for the US
By Roger

1992 Volkswagen Passat GL 4dr Wagon

Mine was a wagon with the 5-spd manual. Drove it a lot. The fan relays blew out every 18 months, the muffler cost $600 and had to be replaced even if you just needed the pipe done, and they wanted to swap the steering rack too, not just the entire front end. It was cheaper to just buy new tires every year. The drivetrain became misaligned, creating an interesting dogleg in the shift pattern. It decided it had had enough of Cleveland and just started to fall apart at age 8. Wax sealant dripped out of every orifice during summer months.

Great interior space for the footprint. True flat load surface with back seat down, fits an 8-foot ladder. Got 35mpg highway. Comfortable seats all around.

Moot point. Should have undergone endurance testing on Cleveland roads prior to introduction, not just German Autobahn. Front-end styling only a mother could love.