Used 2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Umm..Wanted to Buy
By qpogger18

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

It has the "sporty" feel I didn't expect, and handles like a dream, floating over bumps and turning with a touch to the steering wheel. It's tiny on the outside and HUGE on the inside. It feels safe and is somewhat comfortable, but the comfort just doesn't get close to the comfort of my 2002 Monte Carlo. It also doesn't have power seats, or steering wheel radio control. But the heated seat gets HOT, and the automatic with triptronic is FUN. I have to admit that I think Volkswagen New Beetles are ugly, and if I have to drive this one, I have to have tinted windows. But this car is so fast...I want to buy a million of them!

Power, it's tiny, it feels huge on the inside, is automatic with manual mode, leather seats

Power seats, steering wheel radio controls, comfortable seats...maybe factory remote start

Good car with a few problems
By JIm Goekler

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife and I purchased our 2009 VW beetle with anticipation of giving this car to our granddaughter when she turnes 16 in 2012. However a few problems changed our mind of giving this car to a begining driver. Changing Headlamp is very involved and not recommened for car owner. The procedure for this process is 8 pages long. Ground clearance is so close to the ground that 3 inches of snow ripped front skid plate from the car. The skid plate is made from very thin plastic and is not much use. I also struck a small wooden object approx. 3 inches tall while moving less than 2 mph. while parking the car along side of the road. this knocked a hole in my transmition.

Runs great, fun to drive, plenty of power for this car.

need to reduce blind spots, improve vision. Improve ground clearance and under- chassis protection. The design of the headlamp assembly is a must.

2nd New Beetle
By Wayne Scott

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

We had thee first NB in Mississippi early in 1998. It STOPPED traffic and emptied restaurants as we passed by! The car had some interior finish problems-finish material on door handles $ top of door below window wore off and chipped, the power windows failed a few times & some of the clearcoat actually peeled off the exterior. The 2009 model is much improved with more power, heated seats and all. Edmunds reviewer here does NOT understand why VW lovers buy these, as he called it-stale design with small back seat. That's what a beetle is all about! How could they really change the design? He also stated the car lacks power. I don't agree at all..150 is far better than the 98 model!

Looks, finish, build

The folding front armrest must be in up position for me to shift properly The stereo sounds a bit thin. Maybe the car could be stretched some for larger back seat?

Finally Happy
By NewMoonDaughter

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I started collecting cars when I was five. Parents thought I was strange as a girl who loved cars. Most of my collection consisted of Beetles. My mom had two growing up in the early 1980s. I've wanted one all my life. Traded in a 2007 Honda Civic with no regrets! While the Civic was a great car, it's simply BORING. The Beetle, her name is Phoebe, is totally for me. I can't wait to drive. It handles well in the rain, I fit a carseat with no problems in the back and my 19 month old has no problems getting out because of the way the seat lifts forward. The red dashboard lights are great and the trunk space is fine. I fit $250 worth of groceries plus an umbrella stroller with no issues.

Exterior, dashboard lights, auxiliary jack to plug in iPod.

Better cupholders, better armrest storage compartment, back windshield wiper.

So far so good
By JJsBeetle

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Just picked up my beetle and love it! Quite comfortable. Fun to drive. Quiet (no squeaks or rattles). Still getting the feel for it. My commute is only 2.5 miles to and from work so still have a little time before I really give a proper review. so far- no complaints.

Handling,interior and exterior design, headroom for the front passenger- love the deep dash. Smooth/quiet ride.

Grey interior color as an option, TDI option, rear panel swing out door for easier access to the back seat(Kinda like the Mazda rx8 has). Other than that, its all good.