2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Umm..Wanted to Buy
By qpogger18 on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

It has the "sporty" feel I didn't expect, and handles like a dream, floating over bumps and turning with a touch to the steering wheel. It's tiny on the outside and HUGE on the inside. It feels safe and is somewhat comfortable, but the comfort just doesn't get close to the comfort of my 2002 Monte Carlo. It also doesn't have power seats, or steering wheel radio control. But the heated seat gets HOT, and the automatic with triptronic is FUN. I have to admit that I think Volkswagen New Beetles are ugly, and if I have to drive this one, I have to have tinted windows. But this car is so fast...I want to buy a million of them!

Good car with a few problems
By JIm Goekler on 09/03/10 12:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife and I purchased our 2009 VW beetle with anticipation of giving this car to our granddaughter when she turnes 16 in 2012. However a few problems changed our mind of giving this car to a begining driver. Changing Headlamp is very involved and not recommened for car owner. The procedure for this process is 8 pages long. Ground clearance is so close to the ground that 3 inches of snow ripped front skid plate from the car. The skid plate is made from very thin plastic and is not much use. I also struck a small wooden object approx. 3 inches tall while moving less than 2 mph. while parking the car along side of the road. this knocked a hole in my transmition.

2nd New Beetle
By Wayne Scott on 07/10/09 11:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

We had thee first NB in Mississippi early in 1998. It STOPPED traffic and emptied restaurants as we passed by! The car had some interior finish problems-finish material on door handles $ top of door below window wore off and chipped, the power windows failed a few times & some of the clearcoat actually peeled off the exterior. The 2009 model is much improved with more power, heated seats and all. Edmunds reviewer here does NOT understand why VW lovers buy these, as he called it-stale design with small back seat. That's what a beetle is all about! How could they really change the design? He also stated the car lacks power. I don't agree at all..150 is far better than the 98 model!

Finally Happy
By NewMoonDaughter on 06/13/09 17:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I started collecting cars when I was five. Parents thought I was strange as a girl who loved cars. Most of my collection consisted of Beetles. My mom had two growing up in the early 1980s. I've wanted one all my life. Traded in a 2007 Honda Civic with no regrets! While the Civic was a great car, it's simply BORING. The Beetle, her name is Phoebe, is totally for me. I can't wait to drive. It handles well in the rain, I fit a carseat with no problems in the back and my 19 month old has no problems getting out because of the way the seat lifts forward. The red dashboard lights are great and the trunk space is fine. I fit $250 worth of groceries plus an umbrella stroller with no issues.

So far so good
By JJsBeetle on 03/18/09 06:05 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Just picked up my beetle and love it! Quite comfortable. Fun to drive. Quiet (no squeaks or rattles). Still getting the feel for it. My commute is only 2.5 miles to and from work so still have a little time before I really give a proper review. so far- no complaints.

Great car!!
By Gail on 11/22/08 17:24 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Awesome car with lots of standard goodies. It's extremely quiet and smooth..Lots of storage with the back seats folded down. Super comfortable seats. Heated seats come standard.

Awsome car
By lisa spano on 08/17/08 06:12 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have wanted a Beetle bug since I was 10 years old. I am now 40 and I bought one finally. And I love everything about it. The best car I have ever owned!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback in VA is:

$128 per month*