Used 2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

New Beetle Convertible
By Dennis Souza

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this 2009 in 2010. Great price. 30 miles on it. Fast enough in a retro sort of way. Good gas mileage. Nice smooth auto with triptronic shifting. This is my 3rd new beetle. My first was a 2001 new beetle turbo and the other was a 2003 new beetle turbo s. Loved every one of them. This being the best as a drop top. Smooth, fun, and easy handling. Certainly this is not a sports car but never claims to be.

Favorite Features

Extremely easy droptop. Smooth engine/transmission. Great monsoon stereo. Unique design.

Suggested Improvements

None. It is what it is.

Some Folks Just Don't Understand
By CZKid

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My bride wanted a convertible, and was about to graduate with a Doctorate of Ministry at 60+. we're both over 6', and we both needed a fun ride. I drove professionally for VW & Porsche in my college days while studying engineering, so I know my vehicles. If you want folks to smile when they see you, and enjoy comfort, reliability, and just plain fun while out get the convert. As a former QC puke, I can find no problems with finish nor performance. My straight laced bride goes nuts driving the car because it's so much fun. So 2 can't fit in the back, so what? So it doesn't have a huge trunk.. so what? It has everything that two old folks needed and more. Try it, you'll like it

Favorite Features

Head/Leg Room for front seats, visibility, ease of top operation, and comfort! But most of all everyone smiles when they see you. it's nice!!

Suggested Improvements

VW blew it when they didn't provide the diesel as an option. Too late now boys. But think about it in the future.

Love my bug!
By Susan

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I owned 2 bugs back in the 70's in California. Wow, has the bug changed! This car is a joy to drive. I don't feel like I am sitting lower than other cars. I also have a truck and thought that the change to a bug would leave me feeling "low!" Not the case. I put the top down and my 100 pound mutt and my 150 pound St. Bernard go for a drive. Plenty of room for us all.

Favorite Features

I love the color. Red with tan rag top and tan seats. Love the heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

The center arm rest needs work. I keep it up because if I lean on it just a little bit it tends to fall down. Not very sturdy.

my senior moment
By funbug

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car for my final years to enjoy the feel of my youth once again. It was all it crack up to be. I received it in June 09 and have had nothing but 3 months of sheer pleasure with the top down & the wind in my hair. It has plenty of pep with 6 speed tranny plus sport shift. The leather seats are very comfortable, there is plenty of room up front. A/c is great and the heater & heated seats very toasty.

Favorite Features

easy top down,leather seats, engine power,body style,6 speed tranny,fun car to drive roomy small car.

Suggested Improvements

larger sun visor,tinted windows,dashboard dials easier to see & read,very hard to see in daytime, not enough illumination at night.

Whats not to love?
By Caroline

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Zippy automatic, allows me to drive faster in traffic than perhaps I should! Mine is Candy White and it is an attention getter. Very comfortable, great sound system. In comparison with my 2008 mini seems much larger in all aspects yet side by side they appear the same size...I owned a Beetle several years ago, and this is like coming home! After the mini, I don't like the way the top closes, but I think part of that is my need to get used to it.

Favorite Features

Zippy automatic with tiptronic!

Suggested Improvements

turbo!