2009 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Umm..Wanted to Buy
By qpogger18 on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

It has the "sporty" feel I didn't expect, and handles like a dream, floating over bumps and turning with a touch to the steering wheel. It's tiny on the outside and HUGE on the inside. It feels safe and is somewhat comfortable, but the comfort just doesn't get close to the comfort of my 2002 Monte Carlo. It also doesn't have power seats, or steering wheel radio control. But the heated seat gets HOT, and the automatic with triptronic is FUN. I have to admit that I think Volkswagen New Beetles are ugly, and if I have to drive this one, I have to have tinted windows. But this car is so fast...I want to buy a million of them!

Good car with a few problems
By JIm Goekler on 09/03/10 12:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife and I purchased our 2009 VW beetle with anticipation of giving this car to our granddaughter when she turnes 16 in 2012. However a few problems changed our mind of giving this car to a begining driver. Changing Headlamp is very involved and not recommened for car owner. The procedure for this process is 8 pages long. Ground clearance is so close to the ground that 3 inches of snow ripped front skid plate from the car. The skid plate is made from very thin plastic and is not much use. I also struck a small wooden object approx. 3 inches tall while moving less than 2 mph. while parking the car along side of the road. this knocked a hole in my transmition.

New Beetle Convertible
By Dennis Souza on 06/29/10 18:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this 2009 in 2010. Great price. 30 miles on it. Fast enough in a retro sort of way. Good gas mileage. Nice smooth auto with triptronic shifting. This is my 3rd new beetle. My first was a 2001 new beetle turbo and the other was a 2003 new beetle turbo s. Loved every one of them. This being the best as a drop top. Smooth, fun, and easy handling. Certainly this is not a sports car but never claims to be.

Some Folks Just Don't Understand
By CZKid on 06/28/10 18:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My bride wanted a convertible, and was about to graduate with a Doctorate of Ministry at 60+. we're both over 6', and we both needed a fun ride. I drove professionally for VW & Porsche in my college days while studying engineering, so I know my vehicles. If you want folks to smile when they see you, and enjoy comfort, reliability, and just plain fun while out get the convert. As a former QC puke, I can find no problems with finish nor performance. My straight laced bride goes nuts driving the car because it's so much fun. So 2 can't fit in the back, so what? So it doesn't have a huge trunk.. so what? It has everything that two old folks needed and more. Try it, you'll like it

Great Beetle at Mcdonalds
By Anthony Herring on 02/21/10 18:27 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L Blush Edition 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Beetle review This is not just the same beetle of the nineties it has all the retro style of other models, round and economic but the factory options have changed to meet the luster of a modern day Cadillac. I used my brother car to travel to Boston last year and I thought it exceeded the power and comfort of any beetle before its time. My brother has own beetles since the very beginning and I have shared the excitement with permission. AJH

Love my bug!
By Susan on 01/16/10 22:42 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I owned 2 bugs back in the 70's in California. Wow, has the bug changed! This car is a joy to drive. I don't feel like I am sitting lower than other cars. I also have a truck and thought that the change to a bug would leave me feeling "low!" Not the case. I put the top down and my 100 pound mutt and my 150 pound St. Bernard go for a drive. Plenty of room for us all.

my senior moment
By funbug on 12/10/09 09:54 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car for my final years to enjoy the feel of my youth once again. It was all it crack up to be. I received it in June 09 and have had nothing but 3 months of sheer pleasure with the top down & the wind in my hair. It has plenty of pep with 6 speed tranny plus sport shift. The leather seats are very comfortable, there is plenty of room up front. A/c is great and the heater & heated seats very toasty.

Whats not to love?
By Caroline on 10/30/09 12:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Zippy automatic, allows me to drive faster in traffic than perhaps I should! Mine is Candy White and it is an attention getter. Very comfortable, great sound system. In comparison with my 2008 mini seems much larger in all aspects yet side by side they appear the same size...I owned a Beetle several years ago, and this is like coming home! After the mini, I don't like the way the top closes, but I think part of that is my need to get used to it.

GR8 Bug Convertible
By Robert Preston on 08/17/09 11:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I hesitated to buy a new beetle for a two reasons - first because it was not Germany made. Then I learned that Honda's are from Ohio, so that was silly. Second, what would the resale value be (now who cares, I love it). I have the Harvest Moon Beige with a Beige Top and Tan interior, in my opinion the most sophisticated looking. One issue I have is keeping it showroom perfect. The first big wind in a parking lot allowed the door to hit a car parked next to it, not unusually hard, but enough to ding my door (the other car had no damage). This made me feel the metal/paint finish was inferior to other cars I have owned. I may get a daily driver and try to keep it for weekend fun!

2nd New Beetle
By Wayne Scott on 07/10/09 11:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

We had thee first NB in Mississippi early in 1998. It STOPPED traffic and emptied restaurants as we passed by! The car had some interior finish problems-finish material on door handles $ top of door below window wore off and chipped, the power windows failed a few times & some of the clearcoat actually peeled off the exterior. The 2009 model is much improved with more power, heated seats and all. Edmunds reviewer here does NOT understand why VW lovers buy these, as he called it-stale design with small back seat. That's what a beetle is all about! How could they really change the design? He also stated the car lacks power. I don't agree at all..150 is far better than the 98 model!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen New Beetle in VA is:

$128 per month*