Used 2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Black Tie Edition Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Steer Away If You Want a Safe Car
By Hayley

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Black Tie Edition 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am 19 years old and received this car as a birthday present less than 2 years ago, the car seemed great at first running fantastically until small little headaches started happening. First it was my keys getting stuck in the ignition when trying to turn the car off, i couldn't even go to class that day because i couldn't turn the car off. Then it was the multiple windows breaking in the car that would go down but then not come up (driver, passenger side, and driver's back window). The car did fairly well in the snow, coming from Connecticut we get our fair share- the car has good control but there's absolutely no weight to the car so i found myself skidding and struggling to get up hills. My last experience with this car was the accident i got in it about a week ago. I rear ended the back of a pick up truck on the highway going 40 miles per hour, easy to say my car was totaled. It was a horrifying experience because i felt no security in the car whatsoever when getting into the accident, there's so little to the car if i hit any harder the entire front of my car would've been gone probably. It's a cute, fun summer car that's nice to drive around if you live in the right conditions. But please take this from me, if you're considering buying your child this car, PLEASE look into better safety features. This car has absolutely no protection to it if you were to get in a serious accident.

• Sedan