Used 2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Steer Away If You Want a Safe Car
By Hayley

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Black Tie Edition 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am 19 years old and received this car as a birthday present less than 2 years ago, the car seemed great at first running fantastically until small little headaches started happening. First it was my keys getting stuck in the ignition when trying to turn the car off, i couldn't even go to class that day because i couldn't turn the car off. Then it was the multiple windows breaking in the car that would go down but then not come up (driver, passenger side, and driver's back window). The car did fairly well in the snow, coming from Connecticut we get our fair share- the car has good control but there's absolutely no weight to the car so i found myself skidding and struggling to get up hills. My last experience with this car was the accident i got in it about a week ago. I rear ended the back of a pick up truck on the highway going 40 miles per hour, easy to say my car was totaled. It was a horrifying experience because i felt no security in the car whatsoever when getting into the accident, there's so little to the car if i hit any harder the entire front of my car would've been gone probably. It's a cute, fun summer car that's nice to drive around if you live in the right conditions. But please take this from me, if you're considering buying your child this car, PLEASE look into better safety features. This car has absolutely no protection to it if you were to get in a serious accident.

Love my Beetle!
By karmagirl7

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback SE PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I absolutely LOVE this car! The only weird thing is the crayon smell in the car, but everything else is awesome! I love the entertainment package and the MP3 option, when I am bored wtih everything else. This car handles like a champ - I feel like I am in a true high performance vehicle.

The entertainment package and the ease to drop the top!

Get rid of the funky smell!

Got a Smoking Hot Deal!!
By karinalynne

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car less than a month ago, the second day I drove it, it stalled out at an intersection and I had to have it towed back to the dealership (burnt a coil and blew a fuse). Within a week later, the same thing happened again and again. Finally had to take it to a mechanic, said all 5 coils and spark plugs needed to be replaced. A week after that, I decided to just trade it in for something more reliable. On the way to the dealership, it stalled, started smoking and then caught on fire. It is now totaled and it is the worst car I have ever purchased. Save your time, its a cute car, but its NOT worth it.

Gets up to speed quick, when it runs.

Blows coils faster than you can replace them. Then blows fuse and possibly melts the connector, concluding to never ending problems.

Love my New Beetle!
By Karen1963

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I wanted this car for a long time before my husband bought this one for me as a surprise Christmas gift in 2007. It is so easy to drive, and the seats are a good fit for me. I have the automatic, so the gas mileage isn't the best, but I really love the experience of driving it every day. This is the best car purchase we have ever had and I will likely own this car the rest of it's life!

The New Beetle is so distinctive and the salsa red really gets everyones attention. I just love the way it looks!

I would love to get better gas mileage and I think the car is very reliable, so the warranty should last longer.

Has been great!
By eldaino2

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife's 08 beetle has been pretty great. its a fairly smooth riding car (an impressive feat considering its based of the mkIV platform and thus has a torsion beam rear suspension) and is a a great long distance cruiser. the stock tires are not the greatest and in typical stock fashion has grown loud and tiresome, but the car itself is very quiet, peppy with great low end tq, and style my wife loves.(and i actually don't mind it either.)

great shade of red, solid tuetonic driving experience, great highway cruiser, good range on gas tank, fairly inexpensive to maintain, decent steering feel, low end torque, engine growl.

armrest location, cup holder placement is slightly weird, a chassis this stout and that weighs this much should get better rear seat side impact ratings. (maybe actual airbags back there? only a big deal if you carry people in the back, in our case thats a no.)