2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Got a Smoking Hot Deal!!
By karinalynne on 01/04/14 18:00 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car less than a month ago, the second day I drove it, it stalled out at an intersection and I had to have it towed back to the dealership (burnt a coil and blew a fuse). Within a week later, the same thing happened again and again. Finally had to take it to a mechanic, said all 5 coils and spark plugs needed to be replaced. A week after that, I decided to just trade it in for something more reliable. On the way to the dealership, it stalled, started smoking and then caught on fire. It is now totaled and it is the worst car I have ever purchased. Save your time, its a cute car, but its NOT worth it.

Love my New Beetle!
By Karen1963 on 10/05/09 11:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I wanted this car for a long time before my husband bought this one for me as a surprise Christmas gift in 2007. It is so easy to drive, and the seats are a good fit for me. I have the automatic, so the gas mileage isn't the best, but I really love the experience of driving it every day. This is the best car purchase we have ever had and I will likely own this car the rest of it's life!

Has been great!
By eldaino2 on 09/18/09 14:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife's 08 beetle has been pretty great. its a fairly smooth riding car (an impressive feat considering its based of the mkIV platform and thus has a torsion beam rear suspension) and is a a great long distance cruiser. the stock tires are not the greatest and in typical stock fashion has grown loud and tiresome, but the car itself is very quiet, peppy with great low end tq, and style my wife loves.(and i actually don't mind it either.)

My New Beetle is simply awesome!!:)
By MeowlGal on 06/13/09 22:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love my new car!! This is my first beetle,I used to own a Volkswagen cabriolet convertible and loved it! I traded in my Toyota truck and got my beetle..I named her "Rubi"!! What a cute and fun car. This car is in mint condition!! I am so happy I bought her!!:)

The Volkswagen Co. Not What It Used To Be
By George Lafont on 10/17/08 11:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Day one from picking up the car from the dealer the handbrake came off when I parked. The car doesn't feel at all like a German car, in fact it feels like it's coming apart. About 2 months later on my way home (45 min. commute) on a very hot Summer day, the underneath engine cover came loose fell off and broke into many pieces. When I took it to the dealer, they accused me of running into something and refused to fix it. The service manager even went through the trouble of fabricating a story that I ran over a parking turtarrier with a piece of rebar sticking out tearing the cover off and again refused. Both their customer service and chairman of the board also refused to help

A Slice of Heaven in every Ride
By Ireland3 on 08/21/08 20:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased the yellow SE in July and have been driving it everyday just smiling. The handling is great,and the seats are comfortable. I just love all the fun it is to simply go anywhere now in my new "Sunflower Yellow" bug. Gets tons of compliments and fits in the smallest spots. I updated mine with "daisy" steering wheel covers, flower vase, license plate, and seat covers for an even cuter look.

cyn in florida
By beetle girl on 08/20/08 08:53 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Triple White PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I love this car; but triple with the white arm rest is whacked. Could get a little better gas mileage.

Low Quality but cute
By Ed Rooney on 08/03/08 13:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We purchased a 2008 "S" with automatic about 3 months ago for my wife, with the intent of passing it on to our daughter next year. I was reluctant to purchase this car based on customer reviews of previous model years. I should have listened, because this piece of junk has been in the shop 4 times to fix various squeaks and rattles and we haven't even had the first oil change yet. So far gas mileage has been in the 22-24 mpg range, mostly suburban driving. While it's within the EPA estimates, it's still low for a car this small. Did I mention that it requires synthetic oil and a filter not carried at any quick lube establishments?

Fun Car
By Catherine on 07/14/08 09:22 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Triple White 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Nice fun car - gas mileage could be somewhat better. The triple white model is really fun. I like the solid feel of the way it drives - tight. I especially like the blinker system where the blinker is also on the outside mirrors. Outside lighting of the car is well done as well.

The Bestest Car Ever!
By Lane,D on 06/17/08 17:11 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Triple White 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My mother went and bought this car for her Birthday and we have loved every cotton-pickin' minute of having it. It gets pretty good gas mileage. You would think that a small car like the Beetle-bug would be really tiny in the backseat, but it is really comfortable.It is the best car that our family has ever had. I also think it is really cool to have a car that there are only 1,400 of in the whole United States.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback in WA is:

$156 per month*