Used 2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Never ever going back again
By notlovingmybug

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I consider this car a lesson learned in poor decisions. I purchased this car new in 2008 and have had numerous problems. So many in fact I'm not sure I can list much less remember them all. I will make this short (as possible) and sweet(as possible). The passenger side window motor stopped working, the radio buttons stick, the console top has broken twice, the compressor is barely working therefore I have almost zero air conditioning and the transmission is failing. Not to mention the car has an odd odor that I cannot get rid of. A light continually stays on that I was told needed a computer upgrade but the dealership never seemed to have the "disc". Too many problems to list.

Favorite Features

Fun car to drive. The ONLY good thing I can say is I was hit from behind by a Cadillac Escalade and the car took most of the impact. My daughter and I were both very much ok and the Escalade took the impact much worse. That's it otherwise the car has been nothing but one problem after another.

LUV BUG :)
By Beach Girl

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased my brand new 2008 Convertible Beetle and love it ! (so far )I just traded my 07 Sebring in for it (never get a Sebring) I live @ the beach so its great to take the top down and just cruise in, very comfortable, great stereo Love the SRadio that it comes with, leather heated seats this car has it all my fav car out of all the cars i have had , I would def recommend it to anyone my husband didn't like the beetles @ 1st he said it was to much of a girl car but after he drove it he loves it too , gas is av.

Favorite Features

1) heated leather seats. 2) stereo & comes with Sirius Sat Radio. 3) fun to drive , and you can fit it anywhere not a big bulky car. 4) has a convertible top you gotta love that. 5) I like the turn signals on the side mirrors that helps out. 6) FLOWER holder lol ha ha

Suggested Improvements

just a lil rough when hits bumps but i have heard that all VWs are like that.

2008 Convertible - Fun fun fun
By Belaircarguy

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought a beautiful black with cream interior SE model a few weeks ago. Purchased this mainly for my daughters to drive, although I have to admit the old man likes it too! Haven't had a VW for a number of years, but they were always a fun car to drive, and this convertible is no exception. The SE comes with a power top, so makes it much easier for raising and lowering the roof. The car has plenty of pep and the Tiptronic 6 speed manual / automatic transmission is a pleasure. I also like being able to set it to "sport mode", where the transmission holds the shift pattern to higher RPM setting. Good handling as a touring vehicle and sure stopping brakes. Great little car!

Favorite Features

Tiptronic 6 speed transmission is great, power top, comfortable seats. This car came with a beautiful Monsoon stereo, which included a CD player as well as satellite (Sirius) radio. Have a Sirius satellite radio in another car, and got this hooked up right away - great sound!

Suggested Improvements

When the top is up, there is a big blind spot at the right rear, but I guess with the convertible mechanism there was some compromise with visibility. Otherwise - everything else is great on this car.

2008 New Beetle Fun To Drive
By Stanley

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I gave my 2004 Toyota Camry to my son and I purchased a Red Beetle with a Black top. I have owned my car for two months and I just love it. I shopped around for a convertible car that is fun to drive. The New Beetle is perfect. The gas mileage is not as good but is so much more fun to drive. My husband is a large guy over six feet tall. He has enough room in this car but back seats are for small children. He was not sure about a small car but he fell in love with it too. When I was sixteen my Dad had one of the old beetles they have made alot of improvements. Great job VW. People stop me all the time and tell me how much they like my car.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and how the car looks with the top down. Radio sounds great even with top down.

Suggested Improvements

Power seats and maybe a faster sport model.