Used 2008 Volkswagen New Beetle S Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

2008 VW New Beetle COnvertible
By JonF

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible S 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is a fun, stylish car that is a "blast from the past"! It has the classic Beetle lines with the luxury of a Mercedes. This car is fun to drive, inexpensive to operate - I have been getting 33 - 35 MPG - but the AC kills the mileage - down to about 24 MPG with the AC running). It has lots of "get up and go" with acceleration onto highways rapid and sure. Interior space is great - I am 6'1" and fit quite comfortably in the back seat. I had two Mazda MX-5s prior to this VW and the VW wins hands down - for value, for comfort, with comparable handling and VERY much better when the roads are slippery. This is a delightful car - My wife liked it so much, she bought one for herself!

Favorite Features

The Tiptronic is great for someone who drove a stick all his life - the convenience of an automatic with the fun of a stick. The dash read-outs are plain and simple with colors that are easy on the eyes. I was able to get my choice colors, and the finish is great. All around great car.

Suggested Improvements

Add oil pressure and temperature gauges. Make power seats and a power top standard. The top needs an easier lock-down as shorter people have lots of trouble with leverage. Tonneau covers should also be standard - over $400 is way too expensive for this. Include rug mats with cold weather pkg.