2008 Volkswagen New Beetle S Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2008 New Beetle Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Sort Reviews by

Never ever going back again
By notlovingmybug

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I consider this car a lesson learned in poor decisions. I purchased this car new in 2008 and have had numerous problems. So many in fact I'm not sure I can list much less remember them all. I will make this short (as possible) and sweet(as possible). The passenger side window motor stopped working, the radio buttons stick, the console top has broken twice, the compressor is barely working therefore I have almost zero air conditioning and the transmission is failing. Not to mention the car has an odd odor that I cannot get rid of. A light continually stays on that I was told needed a computer upgrade but the dealership never seemed to have the "disc". Too many problems to list.

Favorite Features

Fun car to drive. The ONLY good thing I can say is I was hit from behind by a Cadillac Escalade and the car took most of the impact. My daughter and I were both very much ok and the Escalade took the impact much worse. That's it otherwise the car has been nothing but one problem after another.

realy is fun to drive!
By dave

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

nice looking really fun to drive! great acceleration fantastic breaking wonderful power top quietest convertible i have ever been in roomy and not cramped even for a 6'2" man not much room in back seat for adult (but who cares!)

Favorite Features

best factory stereo i ever heard

Suggested Improvements

bigger back window

Not what I expected
By maciosaig

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car for my wife and after buying an 07 Passat and being extremely satisfied with that car I figured Id be just as pleased with the bug. Was I in for a shock I've owned convs in the past so I was away of frame/body flex but this car takes it to new extremes. The handling sucks, power is poor and comfort is great for the driver and front passenger, and my small 3 year just about fits in the back seat. Now there is a rattle in the front end somewhere and the thing is noisy on the highway. For the money they charge these cars should be much more powerful and handle better. I'm not sure how the fit and finish will stand up over the next few years, but I'm not confident

Favorite Features

The retro look and power top

Suggested Improvements

Much more power, better fuel economy, better handling, better build quality, and much lower price-its built in Mexico with super low production costs there is no reason this car should cost this much. I would not recommend this car at all.

Great Time Travel
By OBX NC

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible S 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Love the car, brings back super memories, makes the day fun and exciting. . My fuel mileage averages 25-29 mpg without pampering. Have owned a Miata, will take the Beetle any day,anytime.

Favorite Features

The heated front seats, great on cold mornings or just to ride with top down on cool days. Harvest moon beige, cream top with cream interior is just a fabulous color combination.

Suggested Improvements

The adjustable armrest is difficult to lower, the release button is difficult to reach. The car tends to bottom out on minor bumps. Some utility of the large dash would be of benefit(storage or bin).

LUV BUG :)
By Beach Girl

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased my brand new 2008 Convertible Beetle and love it ! (so far )I just traded my 07 Sebring in for it (never get a Sebring) I live @ the beach so its great to take the top down and just cruise in, very comfortable, great stereo Love the SRadio that it comes with, leather heated seats this car has it all my fav car out of all the cars i have had , I would def recommend it to anyone my husband didn't like the beetles @ 1st he said it was to much of a girl car but after he drove it he loves it too , gas is av.

Favorite Features

1) heated leather seats. 2) stereo & comes with Sirius Sat Radio. 3) fun to drive , and you can fit it anywhere not a big bulky car. 4) has a convertible top you gotta love that. 5) I like the turn signals on the side mirrors that helps out. 6) FLOWER holder lol ha ha

Suggested Improvements

just a lil rough when hits bumps but i have heard that all VWs are like that.

Sweet 16 again
By Czar

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible S PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife purchased a 2008 SE convertible for use at our beach house. She loves this car to death. Fun, quick and easy to park. Can fit 4 when needed. Top down fun in the sun.

Favorite Features

Automatic power top.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power would not hurt. Trunk is ultra small.

2008 Convertible - Fun fun fun
By Belaircarguy

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought a beautiful black with cream interior SE model a few weeks ago. Purchased this mainly for my daughters to drive, although I have to admit the old man likes it too! Haven't had a VW for a number of years, but they were always a fun car to drive, and this convertible is no exception. The SE comes with a power top, so makes it much easier for raising and lowering the roof. The car has plenty of pep and the Tiptronic 6 speed manual / automatic transmission is a pleasure. I also like being able to set it to "sport mode", where the transmission holds the shift pattern to higher RPM setting. Good handling as a touring vehicle and sure stopping brakes. Great little car!

Favorite Features

Tiptronic 6 speed transmission is great, power top, comfortable seats. This car came with a beautiful Monsoon stereo, which included a CD player as well as satellite (Sirius) radio. Have a Sirius satellite radio in another car, and got this hooked up right away - great sound!

Suggested Improvements

When the top is up, there is a big blind spot at the right rear, but I guess with the convertible mechanism there was some compromise with visibility. Otherwise - everything else is great on this car.

2008 VW New Beetle COnvertible
By JonF

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible S 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is a fun, stylish car that is a "blast from the past"! It has the classic Beetle lines with the luxury of a Mercedes. This car is fun to drive, inexpensive to operate - I have been getting 33 - 35 MPG - but the AC kills the mileage - down to about 24 MPG with the AC running). It has lots of "get up and go" with acceleration onto highways rapid and sure. Interior space is great - I am 6'1" and fit quite comfortably in the back seat. I had two Mazda MX-5s prior to this VW and the VW wins hands down - for value, for comfort, with comparable handling and VERY much better when the roads are slippery. This is a delightful car - My wife liked it so much, she bought one for herself!

Favorite Features

The Tiptronic is great for someone who drove a stick all his life - the convenience of an automatic with the fun of a stick. The dash read-outs are plain and simple with colors that are easy on the eyes. I was able to get my choice colors, and the finish is great. All around great car.

Suggested Improvements

Add oil pressure and temperature gauges. Make power seats and a power top standard. The top needs an easier lock-down as shorter people have lots of trouble with leverage. Tonneau covers should also be standard - over $400 is way too expensive for this. Include rug mats with cold weather pkg.

2008 New Beetle Fun To Drive
By Stanley

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I gave my 2004 Toyota Camry to my son and I purchased a Red Beetle with a Black top. I have owned my car for two months and I just love it. I shopped around for a convertible car that is fun to drive. The New Beetle is perfect. The gas mileage is not as good but is so much more fun to drive. My husband is a large guy over six feet tall. He has enough room in this car but back seats are for small children. He was not sure about a small car but he fell in love with it too. When I was sixteen my Dad had one of the old beetles they have made alot of improvements. Great job VW. People stop me all the time and tell me how much they like my car.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and how the car looks with the top down. Radio sounds great even with top down.

Suggested Improvements

Power seats and maybe a faster sport model.

2008 New Beetle Conv
By airbornediver

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I traded a 2004 VW Touareg for this conv. I love my new Beetle. I got the triple black model. It gets attention everywhere I go. The 150 HP engine has enough juice to move. It would be nice if they had a turbo. Maybe they will come out with a sport model. I miss all the comfort features that the Touareg had. Power seats and lumbar would be nice. Also a nav system. I ride hard all the time so fuel economy is not the best. No this car is lots of fun to drive. It beats my Touareg in that department. Having a rag top is awesome. That is the main reason why I got my new convertible. It needs some nicer wheels. I'll be investing in some chrome wheels soon to bring out the bold looks on this bug!

Favorite Features

The semi top. It not only works great, but looks very cool when it is down. It has that Cali look. I also love the bold looks of this bug. It can be considered cute or bold looking depending on how you trick it out.

Suggested Improvements

For sure a sport model with turbo, bigger wheels and brakes.