Used 2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Never ever going back again
By notlovingmybug

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I consider this car a lesson learned in poor decisions. I purchased this car new in 2008 and have had numerous problems. So many in fact I'm not sure I can list much less remember them all. I will make this short (as possible) and sweet(as possible). The passenger side window motor stopped working, the radio buttons stick, the console top has broken twice, the compressor is barely working therefore I have almost zero air conditioning and the transmission is failing. Not to mention the car has an odd odor that I cannot get rid of. A light continually stays on that I was told needed a computer upgrade but the dealership never seemed to have the "disc". Too many problems to list.

Favorite Features

Fun car to drive. The ONLY good thing I can say is I was hit from behind by a Cadillac Escalade and the car took most of the impact. My daughter and I were both very much ok and the Escalade took the impact much worse. That's it otherwise the car has been nothing but one problem after another.

realy is fun to drive!
By dave

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

nice looking really fun to drive! great acceleration fantastic breaking wonderful power top quietest convertible i have ever been in roomy and not cramped even for a 6'2" man not much room in back seat for adult (but who cares!)

Favorite Features

best factory stereo i ever heard

Suggested Improvements

bigger back window

Not what I expected
By maciosaig

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car for my wife and after buying an 07 Passat and being extremely satisfied with that car I figured Id be just as pleased with the bug. Was I in for a shock I've owned convs in the past so I was away of frame/body flex but this car takes it to new extremes. The handling sucks, power is poor and comfort is great for the driver and front passenger, and my small 3 year just about fits in the back seat. Now there is a rattle in the front end somewhere and the thing is noisy on the highway. For the money they charge these cars should be much more powerful and handle better. I'm not sure how the fit and finish will stand up over the next few years, but I'm not confident

Favorite Features

The retro look and power top

Suggested Improvements

Much more power, better fuel economy, better handling, better build quality, and much lower price-its built in Mexico with super low production costs there is no reason this car should cost this much. I would not recommend this car at all.

Great Time Travel
By OBX NC

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible S 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Love the car, brings back super memories, makes the day fun and exciting. . My fuel mileage averages 25-29 mpg without pampering. Have owned a Miata, will take the Beetle any day,anytime.

Favorite Features

The heated front seats, great on cold mornings or just to ride with top down on cool days. Harvest moon beige, cream top with cream interior is just a fabulous color combination.

Suggested Improvements

The adjustable armrest is difficult to lower, the release button is difficult to reach. The car tends to bottom out on minor bumps. Some utility of the large dash would be of benefit(storage or bin).

LUV BUG :)
By Beach Girl

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased my brand new 2008 Convertible Beetle and love it ! (so far )I just traded my 07 Sebring in for it (never get a Sebring) I live @ the beach so its great to take the top down and just cruise in, very comfortable, great stereo Love the SRadio that it comes with, leather heated seats this car has it all my fav car out of all the cars i have had , I would def recommend it to anyone my husband didn't like the beetles @ 1st he said it was to much of a girl car but after he drove it he loves it too , gas is av.

Favorite Features

1) heated leather seats. 2) stereo & comes with Sirius Sat Radio. 3) fun to drive , and you can fit it anywhere not a big bulky car. 4) has a convertible top you gotta love that. 5) I like the turn signals on the side mirrors that helps out. 6) FLOWER holder lol ha ha

Suggested Improvements

just a lil rough when hits bumps but i have heard that all VWs are like that.