2008 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Got a Smoking Hot Deal!!
By karinalynne on 01/04/14 18:00 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car less than a month ago, the second day I drove it, it stalled out at an intersection and I had to have it towed back to the dealership (burnt a coil and blew a fuse). Within a week later, the same thing happened again and again. Finally had to take it to a mechanic, said all 5 coils and spark plugs needed to be replaced. A week after that, I decided to just trade it in for something more reliable. On the way to the dealership, it stalled, started smoking and then caught on fire. It is now totaled and it is the worst car I have ever purchased. Save your time, its a cute car, but its NOT worth it.

Never ever going back again
By notlovingmybug on 10/29/12 08:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I consider this car a lesson learned in poor decisions. I purchased this car new in 2008 and have had numerous problems. So many in fact I'm not sure I can list much less remember them all. I will make this short (as possible) and sweet(as possible). The passenger side window motor stopped working, the radio buttons stick, the console top has broken twice, the compressor is barely working therefore I have almost zero air conditioning and the transmission is failing. Not to mention the car has an odd odor that I cannot get rid of. A light continually stays on that I was told needed a computer upgrade but the dealership never seemed to have the "disc". Too many problems to list.

realy is fun to drive!
By dave on 11/27/09 12:54 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

nice looking really fun to drive! great acceleration fantastic breaking wonderful power top quietest convertible i have ever been in roomy and not cramped even for a 6'2" man not much room in back seat for adult (but who cares!)

Not what I expected
By maciosaig on 10/27/09 18:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car for my wife and after buying an 07 Passat and being extremely satisfied with that car I figured Id be just as pleased with the bug. Was I in for a shock I've owned convs in the past so I was away of frame/body flex but this car takes it to new extremes. The handling sucks, power is poor and comfort is great for the driver and front passenger, and my small 3 year just about fits in the back seat. Now there is a rattle in the front end somewhere and the thing is noisy on the highway. For the money they charge these cars should be much more powerful and handle better. I'm not sure how the fit and finish will stand up over the next few years, but I'm not confident

Love my New Beetle!
By Karen1963 on 10/05/09 11:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I wanted this car for a long time before my husband bought this one for me as a surprise Christmas gift in 2007. It is so easy to drive, and the seats are a good fit for me. I have the automatic, so the gas mileage isn't the best, but I really love the experience of driving it every day. This is the best car purchase we have ever had and I will likely own this car the rest of it's life!

Has been great!
By eldaino2 on 09/18/09 14:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife's 08 beetle has been pretty great. its a fairly smooth riding car (an impressive feat considering its based of the mkIV platform and thus has a torsion beam rear suspension) and is a a great long distance cruiser. the stock tires are not the greatest and in typical stock fashion has grown loud and tiresome, but the car itself is very quiet, peppy with great low end tq, and style my wife loves.(and i actually don't mind it either.)

My New Beetle is simply awesome!!:)
By MeowlGal on 06/13/09 22:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love my new car!! This is my first beetle,I used to own a Volkswagen cabriolet convertible and loved it! I traded in my Toyota truck and got my beetle..I named her "Rubi"!! What a cute and fun car. This car is in mint condition!! I am so happy I bought her!!:)

Great Time Travel
By OBX NC on 01/02/09 12:39 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle S 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Love the car, brings back super memories, makes the day fun and exciting. . My fuel mileage averages 25-29 mpg without pampering. Have owned a Miata, will take the Beetle any day,anytime.

LUV BUG :)
By Beach Girl on 11/15/08 15:54 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased my brand new 2008 Convertible Beetle and love it ! (so far )I just traded my 07 Sebring in for it (never get a Sebring) I live @ the beach so its great to take the top down and just cruise in, very comfortable, great stereo Love the SRadio that it comes with, leather heated seats this car has it all my fav car out of all the cars i have had , I would def recommend it to anyone my husband didn't like the beetles @ 1st he said it was to much of a girl car but after he drove it he loves it too , gas is av.

The Volkswagen Co. Not What It Used To Be
By George Lafont on 10/17/08 11:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Day one from picking up the car from the dealer the handbrake came off when I parked. The car doesn't feel at all like a German car, in fact it feels like it's coming apart. About 2 months later on my way home (45 min. commute) on a very hot Summer day, the underneath engine cover came loose fell off and broke into many pieces. When I took it to the dealer, they accused me of running into something and refused to fix it. The service manager even went through the trouble of fabricating a story that I ran over a parking turtarrier with a piece of rebar sticking out tearing the cover off and again refused. Both their customer service and chairman of the board also refused to help

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.