My second New Beetle not as good as the first
By eliteboi on
2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)
I previously owned a 2000 New Beetle 1.8T. That car was GREAT. It gave me very few problems, and it never left me stranded. One of the worse mistakes I have made. I've had lots of stupid problems come up. I bought the car with 68k miles, and all service records. I had no warning and the water pump went out, at 68.5k. Replaced two wheel bearings, the tie rods, the door speaker. I could go on. I have had this car a little over a year. The best part was when the inner axle snapped getting off the highway. I think my car must be a lemon. It is getting harder and harder to justify keeping it. My car looks great, but it doesn't perform half as well as my 2000 did, which had twice the miles.
Favorite Features
I have the package two car. So I have the 17' rims, the fog lights.
Suggested Improvements
I have owned 16 cars before this one. My rear main seal is now leaking at 79k, the a/c has been weak even though the dealer or a independent VW mechanic can't find anything wrong with it. The engine only runs "well" when it wants to. Make the car more mechanically sound. The interior on this one while it should be an "improvement" over my 2000, is not. The window switch broke, the area around the bud vase is peeling, the arm rest broke. I knew that Beetles are more prone to defects than other VW's but this one has taken the cake. I'm very disappointed. My car was in the shop for over a month while the dealer tried to figure out what they broke, at a large (2k) cost to me.