New Beetle- Holds up well & Fun to Drive, but get a warranty
By wizbang_fl on
2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)
I've had my Beetle Convertible for over 4.5 years and have been overall happy with the car. It is a compact convertible. Don't expect a big trunk or having tall people in the back seat.
Favorite Features
It is extraordinarily peppy and fun to drive. It's design allows you to park in quite cramped areas, maneuverability of helpful in parallel parking. Stereo system sounds quite nice and heated seats make going north plausible for me.
Suggested Improvements
After the 2nd year I have had no real problems with the vehicle. During the first 2 years I had problems with the windows dropping because of pinch sensors (multiple adjustments to get it right). Emissions problems (again 2 times, issues with pumps). Once with the AC (problem with with the compressor). Since 35k it's been smooth sailing. Make sure you have a warranty that gives you a loaner because some of the repairs took a few days to get the part. Also, plan of VW doing the servicing, the parts have special VW fittings & aren't standard. A normal shop will end up breaking something. VW isn't designed for self maintenance, Couldn't even get to a headlamp to change it. Tiny trunk.
By seamonkey27
on 10/10/11 12:49 PM (PDT)

I own the same and my biggest problem is the driver's side window rattling. Had it worked on so many times I finally asked the manager to drive me home in it and he flipped. After that fix it was great for a while then the screeching sound when I rolled it down began! Sorry but that's nothing but embarrassing. Thanks for info about self-maintenance as I'm having a local shop change the oil, etc this week and take a look at loose undercarriage. I was racing to the accident of my sister and police had me pull on to interstate median and they'd drive me to wreck (quite serious and still recovering after 6 months) but when I SLOWLY drove on to median, I heard the wrenching sound of it tearing my undercarriage! Since then any dip in the road makes me hurt! Hopefully it won't be a costly fix as I don't want my sis to know it happened when I was trying to get to her side! Oh, last complaint. Driving my nephew around and he tossed out the head rest (back seat)! I've called the dealer 3 times now and it's been a year with no luck though they claimed it would be "no problem". I blamed my nephew but my son and I were driving along and glancing over my shoulder I noticed the one remaining headrest was about to fly off as well! So make so they are on tight as you start out with top down! The space is small but my daughter and I find all our groceries fit in boot as long as you start in back and move forward. We did have fun on Christmas transporting my son's present to hide at Grandparents with top down, 32 degrees, and everyone laughing! But hey, it got there and that's what counts! Have to admit when I bought it I didn't plan on my short son finally hitting his growth spurt! He did and it shames his older sister to be relegated to the backseat since she's much shorter! We do however manage to fit her baritone case from band in the backseat with her and backpack as long as we put top down load it in then put it back up. No boggy for the fun it is driving! My husband had old bug when we meet 25 years ago which prompted me to but this on our 20th anniversary. We took a road trip and the trip was as much fun if not better than the actual vacation spot. Top down, he made a cd of all our songs from school and it was a great 6 hours, laughing, singing and having a blast! Seems the things most complain about are worked out if you think a bit, size etc. And don't buy it in Sunflower yellow as I did because then you're poor husband will not drive it around! But my daughter & I still think the color is happy and the car, bought used, just made one feel happy, giggle inside and not many cars can make that claim. In ending, I have a life threatening disease and when my doctor and I were discussing my thoughts of buying the convertible he said he would recommend any person who has, as his wife did twice, beat breast cancer, or a life threatening disease to buy one because nothing makes you feel more alive then driving down the street, day or night and have your hair blowing about as you listen to great music. This car does celebrate life!