2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Sort Reviews by

I love my Beetle
By Kristina

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I love my car. I previously owned an Explorer, and the two are difficult to compare. The only thing I miss about my Explorer is the storage space, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much can fit in a Beetle. I don't understand why people complain about the gas mileage, I think it's great but then my Explorer did have a V8 engine. Beetles are fun cars to drive, the sound system is great, and it works perfectly as a commuter car.

Favorite Features

The convertible top. The seat material. Comfort of the arm rest. How easy it is to reach the instruments and radio. The head rest that bends forward. The safety rating.

Suggested Improvements

Add lower back support for the driver's seat. I drove my car from Virginia to Nebraska and it became a little uncomfortable. I also didn't realize how noisy the convertible top was going to be, but I guess there are tradeoffs.

Not worth it in the long run
By Don't get excited

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

A car is supposed to be a reliable transportartion and reliable it is not. Too many trips to the service department, too many recalls, too many service lights coming on worrying me about even more problems. I see likewise frustrated people at the service counter everytime I come in. I'm charged an arm and a leg every time, without a guarantee that the fix will work. A 10 year old KIA has had no problems. I got too excited about aesthetics of it. But the features don't work and have to be repeatedly fixed. If only I read more reviews of long-term owners. Never another VW again. They are nice when on the dealer lot, but in reality too much trouble.

Favorite Features

Doesn't seem like the car has any after you live with the nightmare of many service trips.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control. Too many recalls, too many minor, but essential features going out. You have to worry every time your air bag light comes on about your own safety. Outlandish service prices.

Bug lover review
By bug lover

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Triple White PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My 2005 was so good, I had to have the Triple white special edition. I wanted white in 2004 when I bought the first one, now I am complete. Great performance and always a compliment from passers-by.

Favorite Features

The roof is simple, the handling is fantastic, and the stereo is absolutely the best I have ever heard in a car even with the roof down!

Suggested Improvements

Make seatcovers that won't affect the side airbags.

New Vdub rush
By Rwikerson

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my first foreign car and now I get it. This car is quite impressive all around. I love this car. It is comfortable, enjoyable, affordable, even if the gas mileage isn't stellar. It sure beats my old 2006 PT Cruiser which was getting 17 mpg city. You can't help but smile when driving the Beetle. It sticks to the road and is very quick and I feel extremely safe in it even though it is a small car. Don't over think and criticize the back seat. It is more than enough. So the head room isn't excessive, I have had 4 door sedans that were just as bad. Enjoy the ride.

Favorite Features

Everything. The seats' adjustability, the interior room, the strong driving position, ease of driving, gas mileage, quick throttle response, 5 cylinder torque and horsepower on demand at lower RPMs, fold down seats with removable seat head rests, fits in the garage. I can go on and on.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest making the back seat adjustable so that it tilts back about ten degrees and make the back head rests disappear into the seat when not in use. They do block the rear window a bit.

Luv my Convertible
By cathiem

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had the Beetle convertible for about 1 year (not driving it in the winter months). I totally love it. It is fun, reliable and has enough pep for me. I was surprised by the amount of room in the trunk, as I expected virtually nothing. Just really really pleased. I do miss a change holder, as there is no easy place to put a few dollars.

Favorite Features

I love the semi-automatic roof. It is simple to raise and lower, and I have had zero issues with it.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are placed in an awkward location. If the arm rest is down, then a large ice coffee is not accessible.

Still fun, still not dependable
By susanne

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Having owned another Beetle and a Jetta before this, I have come to realize that VWs on average have a shelf life of about 4 years, then it's time to trade it in! Despite the frustrations that come with being a VW owner, I keep coming back over and over. Why? The handling - the driving experience. There are so few cars on the market, in my opinion, that combine compactness and great handling. Having driven other compact makes, I find that the Beetle is heavier, handles better, has better features and more road presence. While other compacts feel like they are likely to get blown off the road in a high wind, the Beetle tends to clutch the road and hold its own in snow, rain, etc.

Favorite Features

The large shelf dash makes front passengers feel like they have tons of room; steering column is comfortable, long rides are comfortable for front seat passengers. cup holder placement is more comfortable and convenient than past models. Side turn signals remain a plus.

Suggested Improvements

How about a hybrid make, VW? How about better gas mileage, folks? Better design for rear passengers so they don't hit their heads on interior roof. Power/adjustable pedals, power seats, power everything. Better quality knobs and finishes in interior cabin, remote start function.

Another New New Beetle
By timeino

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I sold my red 99 Beetle last summer. I was missing it terribly! Last month I bought a new 07, yellow this time. I'm so happy to have a Beetle again. It's easy to park, fun to drive, cleans up nicely and compared to my pick-up truck and Jaguar, economical to keep the tank full. These are cute little cars. I enjoyed my last one and still see it around town. (It's much loved and still looks great.) I know that if the day comes that I must part with this one, it will also find the right person to love it. In the 99 I don't miss the old cup holders or cloth/fabric seats. The 07 has leather, better cup holders and a much needed arm rest. Old one was manual, this one is automatic, no opinion.

Favorite Features

The iPod jack. Leather seats, arm rest, improved cup holders and head rests. Red and purple dash lights.

Suggested Improvements

Extensions for sun-visors!

Much better than expectation!
By GA

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

It is well built a car. Roomy. 150 MHP - Enough power. Easy to park. Fun to drive.

Favorite Features

General performance.

Suggested Improvements

Please improve gas efficiency.

Happy, Happy Beetle Owner
By Donna

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am very happy to have my 4th Beetle. I have owned other cars, pick-ups and SUVs, and none compare to the overall performance, affordability, dependability and fun as my "New Beetle".

Favorite Features

My Beetle is fun to drive, economical, easy to park, comfortable, with lots of room and cargo space too when needed.

Suggested Improvements

Don't change anything!

Bug Time
By KJ

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have the 5-speed, and do enjoy the car's drive and handling. 150HP is plenty in car this size, and I have no complaints about acceleration (Go Bug, Go!). The ABS braking system and anti-skid functions seem to work well. I had several opportunities to drive it in the snow this year, and it seemed to handle that challenge quite well. Though it presents some restrictions, I do appreciate the Bug's styling, as it sets it apart from other cars its size,

Favorite Features

Styling that sets it apart from all other small cars. Handling. Fun to drive.