Used 2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

My second New Beetle not as good as the first
By eliteboi

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I previously owned a 2000 New Beetle 1.8T. That car was GREAT. It gave me very few problems, and it never left me stranded. One of the worse mistakes I have made. I've had lots of stupid problems come up. I bought the car with 68k miles, and all service records. I had no warning and the water pump went out, at 68.5k. Replaced two wheel bearings, the tie rods, the door speaker. I could go on. I have had this car a little over a year. The best part was when the inner axle snapped getting off the highway. I think my car must be a lemon. It is getting harder and harder to justify keeping it. My car looks great, but it doesn't perform half as well as my 2000 did, which had twice the miles.

Favorite Features

I have the package two car. So I have the 17' rims, the fog lights.

Suggested Improvements

I have owned 16 cars before this one. My rear main seal is now leaking at 79k, the a/c has been weak even though the dealer or a independent VW mechanic can't find anything wrong with it. The engine only runs "well" when it wants to. Make the car more mechanically sound. The interior on this one while it should be an "improvement" over my 2000, is not. The window switch broke, the area around the bud vase is peeling, the arm rest broke. I knew that Beetles are more prone to defects than other VW's but this one has taken the cake. I'm very disappointed. My car was in the shop for over a month while the dealer tried to figure out what they broke, at a large (2k) cost to me.

Great looking, reliable, fun to drive
By yellow bug

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

although personally i think driving is the most boring thing a person can do, i actually enjoy driving my beetle. infact, its my second new beetle- the first one being a 2004 turbo-s.

Favorite Features

its the cutest car out there!!! i wave to all beetles i see on surface streets if i can and about half the time they wave back.

Suggested Improvements

the only thing that needs improvement (which probably cannot be helped due to the perfectly cute and awesome shape of the car) is if you want to go to the club with more than one friend- you may wanna take their car. the back seats are meant for your stuff not your peeps!!

First Time Beetle Owner
By S.Horton

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned by Beetle for 7 months and have had no problems. I love this car. At first the look impressed me the most. I finally found a 5-speed, green model which was hard to come by. The way this car handles is great. It hugs the road and is the ultimate road-trip car. The fifth cylinder can really be felt on a steep incline and the cold-weather package has helped me through many a snowy morning! It handles in 6 inches of snow, no problem, and the sunroof makes the summer weather even better! If you are looking for a fun car with a low-maintenance feel and features then this is the car for you!

Favorite Features

Body style: people will stop you on the street to ask about the car! Interior features: ample space, stereo sound, heated seats, dash style, trunk space is great.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs extended visor panels for the brutal sunlight and tinting the windows is a must for summer! Better gas mileage would be nice but is average not poor. The trunk is difficult to close and should be remodeled to avoid dents in the trunk panel and to improve function.

Still fun, still not dependable
By susanne

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Having owned another Beetle and a Jetta before this, I have come to realize that VWs on average have a shelf life of about 4 years, then it's time to trade it in! Despite the frustrations that come with being a VW owner, I keep coming back over and over. Why? The handling - the driving experience. There are so few cars on the market, in my opinion, that combine compactness and great handling. Having driven other compact makes, I find that the Beetle is heavier, handles better, has better features and more road presence. While other compacts feel like they are likely to get blown off the road in a high wind, the Beetle tends to clutch the road and hold its own in snow, rain, etc.

Favorite Features

The large shelf dash makes front passengers feel like they have tons of room; steering column is comfortable, long rides are comfortable for front seat passengers. cup holder placement is more comfortable and convenient than past models. Side turn signals remain a plus.

Suggested Improvements

How about a hybrid make, VW? How about better gas mileage, folks? Better design for rear passengers so they don't hit their heads on interior roof. Power/adjustable pedals, power seats, power everything. Better quality knobs and finishes in interior cabin, remote start function.

Former Benz & BMW Now Beetle Girl
By Gretchen S.

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Wow. I have been a Benz and Beemer girl for many years. I wanted a change, and found it with the Beetle. While I love luxury, I like simplicity. I like speed, but not Grand Prix MPH. I want comfort, but not so much that I do not know what to do with it. I love my new Beetle. It is roomier than my former BMW 325i. The trunk is bigger, but configured differently. It runs a little rougher than my old BMW, but we are talking a $20,000 car vs. a $40,000 car. You get what you pay for. The ease of driving and engineering of devices is so easy. BMW and Benz take brain power to figure it all out. VW is simple and, well, simple. The Beetle is comfy, fun, and costs much less money. I love it!

Favorite Features

I love the seat comfort, drive, ease of controls, and cost

Suggested Improvements

Give it a better and smoother engine. Otherwise, this car is fabulous.