Used 2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

yellow bug
By bmccoy

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

this is one of the best cars I have owned. Loads of pep and manuvervability I am downsizing our number vehicles. Really hate to sell but need to be practical.

LOVE THE LEMON!
By Myra

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2007 baby in 2010, Houston Tx and it was shipped from Florida. Very good vehicle, performance, reliability, got caught in 2 floods water middle ways my tires and I made it through, no hesitation no problems afterwards, wonderful! I love the air tight, heavy doors! When shipped a lot of repairs had to be done to get it ready. But the factory warranty covered everything accept the $100 per pop! After the factory warranty ended I purchased extended warranty that covered other repairs, but for about 1 1/2 years, because the value of my car is only $5,000, the extended warranty no longer covers, it's all on me and it has been a very expensive 2 years, seems like everything is falling apart. And because some parts takes a long to get here, I have also paid much in rental cars. A matter of fact it's in the shop as I speak, ignition housing went out and has to be re-keyed etc., gone take 8-15 days before part arrives, go figure the cost of this rental for 15 days! I think it may be time to move on!

My second New Beetle not as good as the first
By eliteboi

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I previously owned a 2000 New Beetle 1.8T. That car was GREAT. It gave me very few problems, and it never left me stranded.

One of the worse mistakes I have made. I've had lots of stupid problems come up. I bought the car with 68k miles, and all service records. I had no warning and the water pump went out, at 68.5k. Replaced two wheel bearings, the tie rods, the door speaker. I could go on. I have had this car a little over a year. The best part was when the inner axle snapped getting off the highway. I think my car must be a lemon. It is getting harder and harder to justify keeping it.

My car looks great, but it doesn't perform half as well as my 2000 did, which had twice the miles.

I have the package two car. So I have the 17' rims, the fog lights.

I have owned 16 cars before this one. My rear main seal is now leaking at 79k, the a/c has been weak even though the dealer or a independent VW mechanic can't find anything wrong with it. The engine only runs "well" when it wants to. Make the car more mechanically sound. The interior on this one while it should be an "improvement" over my 2000, is not. The window switch broke, the area around the bud vase is peeling, the arm rest broke. I knew that Beetles are more prone to defects than other VW's but this one has taken the cake. I'm very disappointed. My car was in the shop for over a month while the dealer tried to figure out what they broke, at a large (2k) cost to me.

in love with my Beetle
By birulo

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this car new from the dealer and it's given me a couple of problems but overall I don't regret the purchase. Its sole appearance makes me happy every time I look at it. I seriously love my car.

My only complain is that the parts, oil changes and even the coolant are very expensive. To be objective, I have to mention that entering its 4th year (2011), little things here and there started to break down, for example the interior roof liner is coming loose on the edges, antenna broke when covered the car with an ordinary car cover and one of the windshield washers seems to be clogged. My compressor died this year too ($2000)... and the battery and the headlights but that's to be expected

Black paint scratches too easily.

Grrr!!
By Grrrr

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I love my car, especially since its paid off. But in september an ignition coil went out., Then in march 2 more went within 2 weeks of each other. Now less than 4 weeks later another one has just gone out. The only thing saving me from driving this car off a cliff, besides the repairs being covered under warranty, is the fact there is only 1 ignition coil left to go out. And VW wont replace it until it fails. I just hope it doesnt happen late at nite or when im on my way to an interview. I just dont need this aggrevation, but since I dont have a job I cant go trade this in. Hopefully the 5th coil will go out soon and I can stop worrying...

The amt of cargo room that I can pack things into and move. The gas mileage on long trips and around town. The heated seats!!!

Ignition coil reliability. Sun visor extentions. Power seats.