Used 2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

New Beetle- Holds up well & Fun to Drive, but get a warranty
By wizbang_fl

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've had my Beetle Convertible for over 4.5 years and have been overall happy with the car. It is a compact convertible. Don't expect a big trunk or having tall people in the back seat.

Favorite Features

It is extraordinarily peppy and fun to drive. It's design allows you to park in quite cramped areas, maneuverability of helpful in parallel parking. Stereo system sounds quite nice and heated seats make going north plausible for me.

Suggested Improvements

After the 2nd year I have had no real problems with the vehicle. During the first 2 years I had problems with the windows dropping because of pinch sensors (multiple adjustments to get it right). Emissions problems (again 2 times, issues with pumps). Once with the AC (problem with with the compressor). Since 35k it's been smooth sailing. Make sure you have a warranty that gives you a loaner because some of the repairs took a few days to get the part. Also, plan of VW doing the servicing, the parts have special VW fittings & aren't standard. A normal shop will end up breaking something. VW isn't designed for self maintenance, Couldn't even get to a headlamp to change it. Tiny trunk.

Quality Review
By carlo frazzano

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We bought the car new in 2007 and are generally satisfied. Mechanically the car has been good but build quality needs improvement except for the paint job which is the best I have ever seen. Problems we have had are: 1. Three headlight bulbs replaced. 2. Entire locking mechanism for power convertible top had to be replaced. 3. Coolant temperature switch replaced. 4. Four trunk pistons failed with the fifth now broken. 5. Seat belt retainer bezel broken off and replaced. Fuel mileage is average that is 25 around town - less if air running and about 30 mpg at 65 mph if air not running. Trunk space is inadequate and simple repair under the hood is difficult and expensive.

Favorite Features

Good ride and handling and fun to drive with top down. Mechanically reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality and trunk space.

Adore it
By NewBeetleDriver

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Triple White PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I adore my New Beetle. Even though I'm a male, I get compliments from my other guy friends, especially after they've driven it. Convertible a must! The only problem I've had was the wiring harness shorted. Fortunately, the car is still under warranty, and will be back to running soon!

Favorite Features

Transmission, styling/aesthetics, comfort, heritage

Suggested Improvements

The trunk is ridiculously small. Bring back the TDI!

Nice Ragtop
By Kayemtee

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My wife chose this car to replace a Sebring convertible. Wanted a clutch again before we got too old. Performance is adequate at best; acceleration reminds me of my old bugs of my youth. Clutch is not as smooth as Japanese cars. Great head and leg room (I'm six-two). Very quiet with top up at high speeds (much less wind noise than the Sebring). Heated seats (with five settings) are great! Gas mileage is poor (24 mpg) for a small car with a clutch with weak acceleration. Nice, solid build quality, pretty looking, but it is a chick car. Oil change is very expensive due to synthetic only and a non-standard filter. Trunk holds a lot but small opening. I like the car but glad we lease.

Favorite Features

Heated seats. No wind noise with top up. Lots of leg and head room.

Suggested Improvements

Better acceleration and better gas mileage.

Luv, luv, luv my dream car
By jik

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

4 of us carpool 1 way 30 min. Backseat ok for normal size. Gas mileage could be better but luv, luv my dream car. Someone is always commenting about it as I did for many years b4 I bought it. Coworkers are happy I finally bought it because they were probably tired of me talking about it for about 5 yrs. I don't have a garage, unfortunately, but it is great in the snow. Haven't had any problems to date. Love to go riding on beautiful days with the top down.

Favorite Features

Riding with the top down on a beautiful day. When it's a little cool, being able to put the heated seats on. Luv it!

Suggested Improvements

Like other people said an automatic starter. But then again I have stick so guess I couldn't use anyway.