Used 2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

My second New Beetle not as good as the first
By eliteboi

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I previously owned a 2000 New Beetle 1.8T. That car was GREAT. It gave me very few problems, and it never left me stranded. One of the worse mistakes I have made. I've had lots of stupid problems come up. I bought the car with 68k miles, and all service records. I had no warning and the water pump went out, at 68.5k. Replaced two wheel bearings, the tie rods, the door speaker. I could go on. I have had this car a little over a year. The best part was when the inner axle snapped getting off the highway. I think my car must be a lemon. It is getting harder and harder to justify keeping it. My car looks great, but it doesn't perform half as well as my 2000 did, which had twice the miles.

I have the package two car. So I have the 17' rims, the fog lights.

I have owned 16 cars before this one. My rear main seal is now leaking at 79k, the a/c has been weak even though the dealer or a independent VW mechanic can't find anything wrong with it. The engine only runs "well" when it wants to. Make the car more mechanically sound. The interior on this one while it should be an "improvement" over my 2000, is not. The window switch broke, the area around the bud vase is peeling, the arm rest broke. I knew that Beetles are more prone to defects than other VW's but this one has taken the cake. I'm very disappointed. My car was in the shop for over a month while the dealer tried to figure out what they broke, at a large (2k) cost to me.

in love with my Beetle
By birulo

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this car new from the dealer and it's given me a couple of problems but overall I don't regret the purchase. Its sole appearance makes me happy every time I look at it. I seriously love my car. My only complain is that the parts, oil changes and even the coolant are very expensive. To be objective, I have to mention that entering its 4th year (2011), little things here and there started to break down, for example the interior roof liner is coming loose on the edges, antenna broke when covered the car with an ordinary car cover and one of the windshield washers seems to be clogged. My compressor died this year too ($2000)... and the battery and the headlights but that's to be expected

Black paint scratches too easily.

New Beetle- Holds up well & Fun to Drive, but get a warranty
By wizbang_fl

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've had my Beetle Convertible for over 4.5 years and have been overall happy with the car. It is a compact convertible. Don't expect a big trunk or having tall people in the back seat.

It is extraordinarily peppy and fun to drive. It's design allows you to park in quite cramped areas, maneuverability of helpful in parallel parking. Stereo system sounds quite nice and heated seats make going north plausible for me.

After the 2nd year I have had no real problems with the vehicle. During the first 2 years I had problems with the windows dropping because of pinch sensors (multiple adjustments to get it right). Emissions problems (again 2 times, issues with pumps). Once with the AC (problem with with the compressor). Since 35k it's been smooth sailing. Make sure you have a warranty that gives you a loaner because some of the repairs took a few days to get the part. Also, plan of VW doing the servicing, the parts have special VW fittings & aren't standard. A normal shop will end up breaking something. VW isn't designed for self maintenance, Couldn't even get to a headlamp to change it. Tiny trunk.

Quality Review
By carlo frazzano

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We bought the car new in 2007 and are generally satisfied. Mechanically the car has been good but build quality needs improvement except for the paint job which is the best I have ever seen. Problems we have had are: 1. Three headlight bulbs replaced. 2. Entire locking mechanism for power convertible top had to be replaced. 3. Coolant temperature switch replaced. 4. Four trunk pistons failed with the fifth now broken. 5. Seat belt retainer bezel broken off and replaced. Fuel mileage is average that is 25 around town - less if air running and about 30 mpg at 65 mph if air not running. Trunk space is inadequate and simple repair under the hood is difficult and expensive.

Good ride and handling and fun to drive with top down. Mechanically reliable.

Better build quality and trunk space.

Grrr!!
By Grrrr

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I love my car, especially since its paid off. But in september an ignition coil went out., Then in march 2 more went within 2 weeks of each other. Now less than 4 weeks later another one has just gone out. The only thing saving me from driving this car off a cliff, besides the repairs being covered under warranty, is the fact there is only 1 ignition coil left to go out. And VW wont replace it until it fails. I just hope it doesnt happen late at nite or when im on my way to an interview. I just dont need this aggrevation, but since I dont have a job I cant go trade this in. Hopefully the 5th coil will go out soon and I can stop worrying...

The amt of cargo room that I can pack things into and move. The gas mileage on long trips and around town. The heated seats!!!

Ignition coil reliability. Sun visor extentions. Power seats.