Used 2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Most Helpful|
New Beetle- Holds up well & Fun to Drive, but get a warranty
By wizbang_fl

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've had my Beetle Convertible for over 4.5 years and have been overall happy with the car. It is a compact convertible. Don't expect a big trunk or having tall people in the back seat.

Favorite Features

It is extraordinarily peppy and fun to drive. It's design allows you to park in quite cramped areas, maneuverability of helpful in parallel parking. Stereo system sounds quite nice and heated seats make going north plausible for me.

Suggested Improvements

After the 2nd year I have had no real problems with the vehicle. During the first 2 years I had problems with the windows dropping because of pinch sensors (multiple adjustments to get it right). Emissions problems (again 2 times, issues with pumps). Once with the AC (problem with with the compressor). Since 35k it's been smooth sailing. Make sure you have a warranty that gives you a loaner because some of the repairs took a few days to get the part. Also, plan of VW doing the servicing, the parts have special VW fittings & aren't standard. A normal shop will end up breaking something. VW isn't designed for self maintenance, Couldn't even get to a headlamp to change it. Tiny trunk.

Don't Fall Under The Cute Spell!
By harvestmoon

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Fell in love with the car's look and would be a happy camper if it weren't for all of the little hiccups the car had. I owned this car for 6 months. In those 6 months the top stopped working, the door locks and the cd player malfunctioned, the inside started rattling and squeaking, and the gas gauge broke. This was a 2007 NBC! If you are thinking about buying this car, please keep looking. Maybe a mini? Believe me when I say HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! If you already own one...good luck!

Favorite Features

heated seats, color, body style, driver and front passenger space.

Suggested Improvements

interior and electrical quality.

Sadly Disappointed
By Curie

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Having driven a classic Beetle as a teenager, this car was a major disappointment. Three months after buying the car, the fuel pump relay died leaving me stranded at 10:00 pm. Three years after buying the car, I traded it in for a 2010 Honda Fit. The lights and radio wouldn't work when it was cold. The heater wouldn't work when the car was idling. The driver's headlight had to be replaced due to "faulty wiring". Upon acceleration or deceleration, the car would often hesitate. After a snow storm, snow would often get trapped in the wheel well causing the car to shake at speeds above 40 mph. Living in Nebraska, it's important to have a reliable car.

Favorite Features

Great standard features, fabulous looking interior, turns on a dime.

Suggested Improvements

10 year warranty since the car is poorly built.

Not worth it in the long run
By Don't get excited

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

A car is supposed to be a reliable transportartion and reliable it is not. Too many trips to the service department, too many recalls, too many service lights coming on worrying me about even more problems. I see likewise frustrated people at the service counter everytime I come in. I'm charged an arm and a leg every time, without a guarantee that the fix will work. A 10 year old KIA has had no problems. I got too excited about aesthetics of it. But the features don't work and have to be repeatedly fixed. If only I read more reviews of long-term owners. Never another VW again. They are nice when on the dealer lot, but in reality too much trouble.

Favorite Features

Doesn't seem like the car has any after you live with the nightmare of many service trips.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control. Too many recalls, too many minor, but essential features going out. You have to worry every time your air bag light comes on about your own safety. Outlandish service prices.

My second New Beetle not as good as the first
By eliteboi

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I previously owned a 2000 New Beetle 1.8T. That car was GREAT. It gave me very few problems, and it never left me stranded. One of the worse mistakes I have made. I've had lots of stupid problems come up. I bought the car with 68k miles, and all service records. I had no warning and the water pump went out, at 68.5k. Replaced two wheel bearings, the tie rods, the door speaker. I could go on. I have had this car a little over a year. The best part was when the inner axle snapped getting off the highway. I think my car must be a lemon. It is getting harder and harder to justify keeping it. My car looks great, but it doesn't perform half as well as my 2000 did, which had twice the miles.

Favorite Features

I have the package two car. So I have the 17' rims, the fog lights.

Suggested Improvements

I have owned 16 cars before this one. My rear main seal is now leaking at 79k, the a/c has been weak even though the dealer or a independent VW mechanic can't find anything wrong with it. The engine only runs "well" when it wants to. Make the car more mechanically sound. The interior on this one while it should be an "improvement" over my 2000, is not. The window switch broke, the area around the bud vase is peeling, the arm rest broke. I knew that Beetles are more prone to defects than other VW's but this one has taken the cake. I'm very disappointed. My car was in the shop for over a month while the dealer tried to figure out what they broke, at a large (2k) cost to me.