2007 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
My second New Beetle not as good as the first
By eliteboi on 09/04/13 12:00 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I previously owned a 2000 New Beetle 1.8T. That car was GREAT. It gave me very few problems, and it never left me stranded. One of the worse mistakes I have made. I've had lots of stupid problems come up. I bought the car with 68k miles, and all service records. I had no warning and the water pump went out, at 68.5k. Replaced two wheel bearings, the tie rods, the door speaker. I could go on. I have had this car a little over a year. The best part was when the inner axle snapped getting off the highway. I think my car must be a lemon. It is getting harder and harder to justify keeping it. My car looks great, but it doesn't perform half as well as my 2000 did, which had twice the miles.

in love with my Beetle
By birulo on 10/25/11 22:36 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this car new from the dealer and it's given me a couple of problems but overall I don't regret the purchase. Its sole appearance makes me happy every time I look at it. I seriously love my car. My only complain is that the parts, oil changes and even the coolant are very expensive. To be objective, I have to mention that entering its 4th year (2011), little things here and there started to break down, for example the interior roof liner is coming loose on the edges, antenna broke when covered the car with an ordinary car cover and one of the windshield washers seems to be clogged. My compressor died this year too ($2000)... and the battery and the headlights but that's to be expected

New Beetle- Holds up well & Fun to Drive, but get a warranty
By wizbang_fl on 09/18/11 00:19 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've had my Beetle Convertible for over 4.5 years and have been overall happy with the car. It is a compact convertible. Don't expect a big trunk or having tall people in the back seat.

Quality Review
By carlo frazzano on 07/07/10 05:28 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We bought the car new in 2007 and are generally satisfied. Mechanically the car has been good but build quality needs improvement except for the paint job which is the best I have ever seen. Problems we have had are: 1. Three headlight bulbs replaced. 2. Entire locking mechanism for power convertible top had to be replaced. 3. Coolant temperature switch replaced. 4. Four trunk pistons failed with the fifth now broken. 5. Seat belt retainer bezel broken off and replaced. Fuel mileage is average that is 25 around town - less if air running and about 30 mpg at 65 mph if air not running. Trunk space is inadequate and simple repair under the hood is difficult and expensive.

Grrr!!
By Grrrr on 04/26/10 20:56 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I love my car, especially since its paid off. But in september an ignition coil went out., Then in march 2 more went within 2 weeks of each other. Now less than 4 weeks later another one has just gone out. The only thing saving me from driving this car off a cliff, besides the repairs being covered under warranty, is the fact there is only 1 ignition coil left to go out. And VW wont replace it until it fails. I just hope it doesnt happen late at nite or when im on my way to an interview. I just dont need this aggrevation, but since I dont have a job I cant go trade this in. Hopefully the 5th coil will go out soon and I can stop worrying...

Sadly Disappointed
By Curie on 01/15/10 10:09 AM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Having driven a classic Beetle as a teenager, this car was a major disappointment. Three months after buying the car, the fuel pump relay died leaving me stranded at 10:00 pm. Three years after buying the car, I traded it in for a 2010 Honda Fit. The lights and radio wouldn't work when it was cold. The heater wouldn't work when the car was idling. The driver's headlight had to be replaced due to "faulty wiring". Upon acceleration or deceleration, the car would often hesitate. After a snow storm, snow would often get trapped in the wheel well causing the car to shake at speeds above 40 mph. Living in Nebraska, it's important to have a reliable car.

Great looking, reliable, fun to drive
By yellow bug on 11/07/09 15:25 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

although personally i think driving is the most boring thing a person can do, i actually enjoy driving my beetle. infact, its my second new beetle- the first one being a 2004 turbo-s.

Adore it
By NewBeetleDriver on 10/19/09 21:41 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Triple White PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I adore my New Beetle. Even though I'm a male, I get compliments from my other guy friends, especially after they've driven it. Convertible a must! The only problem I've had was the wiring harness shorted. Fortunately, the car is still under warranty, and will be back to running soon!

Not Bad at All
By cfr5555 on 10/11/09 19:38 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought the car new in 2007 and have enjoyed it ever since. Good performance, but the handling could be a little tighter. MPG is constantly around the 30 mark. I have 40000 miles on it and it has not given me any trouble. There were a couple of squeaks/rattles at the beginning but they have since vanished. I would recommend this car from my personal experience. Happy Motoring.

Love it!
By nlinldsey on 08/15/09 09:35 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This was my 2nd Beetle and I absolutely love this car! I recently sold mine since my family needs space. The car is very sturdy and well-built. I was impressed with how well it handled in stormy weather on the interstate. I also loved the space once the back seat folds down. It was spacious enough for my 75 pound Lab in her cage. I never experienced mechanical problems with it. My only complaint was the oil change would cost me $70 or more. This car requires Synthetic oil, which is more expensive than regular oil.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.