2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Unhappy with Quality

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

Unhappy with Quality
By UnHappy in WI on

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Have had nothing but problems with my VW Beetle since driving it off the dealer lot. It took four trips to the service center to find out why my car ran out of gas with a 1/3 of a tank showing on gauge. It had problems starting car when temperature went below 30 degrees and a bad instrument cluster. It is very noisy with the top up. It rattles and pops where the top fastens down - VW service says this is normal. Also, I get very poor gas mileage, 19-21mpg. The engine stalls at any speed and the transmission slips. Service has not been able to find the problem yet. I have lost all trust in this car's dependablity. It does have excellent power and is fun to drive, when its not in the shop.

Being able to shift an automatic transmission - it is very smooth. The engine provides excellent power. It is a fun car to drive.

Give it better gas mileage and more body / frame support to reduce noise when the top is up. I think the body twists when driving over a rough or uneven surface. Improve quality control.