My Midlife Crisis Car
By MSPT on
2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)
I'm a big guy, and here I am celebrating my 40th with a Silver and Black VW New Beetle Convertible. I'm still deeply in love with this car even five months after buying it. The semi-automatic roof is a must, but the sound system and XM radio sound great, even when the top is down. I bought this car knowing that the backseat would become my trunk, since both are so small, but since I don't have kids, it's not a problem. The 6-speed with sport mode is wonderful and allows me to surprise some sports car drivers with its passing power. I plan on keeping this baby for a long-long time, and will only replace her with another like her.
Favorite Features
The automatic top, great sound system, and good dash design. I love the no-frills aux hookup for my iPod. This car is surprisingly powerful with excellent handling. The flattened body design vs. prior years makes it a little more stylish, a little less cutesy.
Suggested Improvements
There isn't a lot of lockable storage space so I always have to put the top back up. The gas mileage is a bit low. While the 2006 center console and cup holder design is a lot better than the 2005 (I owned one for three days!), it could still be better.