2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L 5-cyl. 6-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Fun to drive, keep your

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Review

Fun to drive, keep your walking shoes
By George H. on

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great visibility and fast, fun ride. Be prepared with your cell phone--mine has quit running twice, needed tow, took about a week to repair each time. Trunk won't unlock 80% of the time with either the remote or inside release and one of the remote key fobs just quit working. This review is from the owner of a 2005 Mercedes SLK (so I know fun to drive) and a 2006 Honda Ridgeline (so I know high quality). Before it's out of warranty I'm going to get something else--another Beetle if the JD Powers and Consumer's Reports ratings improve. This beetle replaced a 2001 model I bought used; that one never broke. In fairness, this is a very early build of the new model.

Favorite Features

Style, performance (this thing is fast and has a slick automatic transmission). The hatchback makes it really handy. You've got to drive one of these to appreciate the great visibility--it's almost like the top is down although it's a coupe!

Suggested Improvements

VW has got to do something about reliability. I've bought at least 24 new cars and this is the only one that has ever stranded me and twice at that! The trunk won't properly close and has been repaired twice and the electronic locking system is flakey at best. The sun roof is too small.