2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Cool Car

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

2.5 Convertible (2.5L 5-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Cool Car
By slug bug red on

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We've had our Volkswagen Beetle Convertible for a couple of months. It's a cool car. My wife loves to borrow it from me. We bought the base model with the auto transmission and satellite radio, mainly because of worries about the semi-auto top breaking during the life of the car. Inside, everything is easy to operate and clearly labeled. The console redesign is nice - two cups fit with room for a cell phone and iPod. The radio has a jack for iPods or MP3 players. The engine is peppy and has plenty of power for freeway passing. The car easily hits triple digit speeds but its attitude is that of a cruiser. I'm a bit disappointed with the gas mileage, 21-22mpg freeway / city on 89 octane.

The seats are very supportive and adjustable. Having the seats tip up and forward for rear access is a good feature. I love having the iPod jack. The heater is excellent. The ventilation is the best of any car I've owned. I haven't tried the A/C yet. I love the car's ride & feel. The kids love riding in the car too.

Fix the interior lighting. Put interior lighting in the rear of the car. We had a couple of quality issues that were fixed by the dealer in under 1/2 an hour (loose A-pillar panel, convertible boot lock needed work). Have the car get 25 mpg on non-premium gas. Make the trunk lid easier to close.