Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Fun in the Sun!
By Bino Bug

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We've had nothing but a fine experience with out VW Beetle. We orginally went shopping for a Mini Cooper, but we fell in love with the VW. The performance and features as well as price were comparable to the Mini, but the available service in the U.S. were the turning point in our decision to go VW and we our so glad we did!

Favorite Features

The 2.5 liter, 5 cylinder engine, 4 wheel disc brakes, overall appointments, and how it is so well made.

Suggested Improvements

None...we're in love with the car!

Love It!
By Nancy

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The Volkswagen Beetle is a great, sporty car. I bought it in Platinum Grey. It has a nice sporty feel and a suprisingly powerful engine for such a small car! The dealership was great, very professional. What an awesome car!

Favorite Features

The convertible top. This is a cute car, unlike any other.

Suggested Improvements

The back seat is a little tight.

The Worst Car I Have Ever Purchased
By Beth A. Donovan

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The top hit the back head rests. VW of America had to come in twice to fix this issue and it still does not work perfectly. Also, my car's windshild wipers had to be replaced at 10,000 miles. The air conditioning leaks on my feet. The headlight fell out after the second week. The alter light does not register when the top is down and the alarm sounds, 8 out of 10 times.

Favorite Features

The moonbeam color.

Suggested Improvements

Get the convertible top working properly.

Love It for Style and Safety
By NLH

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

While other people are choosing BMW's, my husband and I decided it was time for some fun. We are thrilled with our VW purchase. My 6'2" husband is plenty comfortable on short and long rides. The front seating is styled so you do not feel like you are in a compact car. When you put down the top, people can't stop smiling at you. The world is your friend. Now the key - it is much tougher than it looks. I was in an accident where the Beetle got hit from the back while at a stop, by a Bonneville traveling at 40 mph. The Bonneville was totalled. My VW and I drove away with less than $3,000 damage and no injuries. The police could not believe it. This is one sturdy car!

Favorite Features

This car has a sturdy design and is built for safety. The front driver / passenger seats have plenty of room for even a tall man. It has a good looking interior and console. This car is responsive with a lot of pick-up. It it truly fun to drive. I like how it has an iPod connection. The huge dashboard is great for drive-in eating. You just look and feel cool when driving it.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk can be hard to close. The rear seating is not made for adults, but you should know that going into it. The gas mileage could be better for a small car. The trunk design is clumsy and small.

A Good Deal?
By Joe

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I stole this Beetle for $18,000 new! But...the trunk doesn't work and the gas mileage is 14 mpg! Doc's right about the wind tunnel and Meyer about the lack of lumbar support. It has no power seats, no power top, no power mirrors, a bad stereo, plenty of spacious blind spots both in the front and rear, starter problems, noisy brakes, and sloppy shifting. I love its looks and it is fun to drive when it runs. Heck, the $18,000 would make a good down payment on a better car, you know?