Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Did I tell you, how much I love my bug?
By happydazbugluvr

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I do! I love my bug! And our children do too! The children and I love the attention we get everywhere we go! I love driving my cute mellow yellow bug to work with the top down every morning. I wake up every day to a great day! I love, love, love my bug! Funnest and happiest car I have ever owned. I can't imagine my life without my bug!

The convertible top and the color. I have the manual top and it couldn't be easier. I never liked yellow cars, but the "mellow" yellow is perfect for me, soft and bright and sunny and happy! I love the body style and the small size overall of the car. This car is perfect for a petite girl like me.

I only have two suggestions.F ix the trunk. It is kinda hard to close most of the time. And the passenger blind spot is pretty dangerous.

Lovin' my Red Bug
By RedBug

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I traded in my SUV for this cute ride. The back seat is roomy enough for my two kids and I have even driven around my adult friends in the back seat. I love the way I can feel the road and take drives with the top down for pleasure. It is great for girlfriend trips to the beach and just having fun. Roadtrips are okay, just be sure to stop for the rear seat riders to stretch their legs. I've had RedBug for over a year now, and the only minor problem was the interior was separating from the clips holding it to the back glass. It does have a blind spot, as most convertibles do.

I put a Hula Man on the dash and I love how people smile when they see my car. I love being able to plug in my iPod and listen to music with the top down.

Move the rear drink holder and add an extra one to the back. You can't lift the armrest when a drink is in the backseat holder. Add an iPod holder and we're all set!

My wife loves it but I don't
By Different Opinions

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife is totally happy with the car. It is a reincarnate of her '69 convertible. I find the gas mileage to be low (only 22 mpg AFTER they fixed the transmission. It was way lower) and lots of quality control issues; they left the suspension blocking in when they prepped the car, there was no heat when stopped at stop lights due to improperly filled radiator (my wife that this was normal for a Beetle), the roof boot does not snap into place, the transmission shift computer failed, and if you look at the paint wrong, it scratches. It is powerful and comfortable, and does have a distinctive style. My wife loves the car. The 10K checkup is Monday and that will be $300 for an oil change!

Style and design.

Better gas mileage, improved qualty control.

Great so far
By Kreul

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Well we just bought our Bug so we'll have to wait and see about the reliability. I bought this car for my wife. It's her dream car and she's always wanted it so I finally did it. I was initially embarrassed to even be in the thing because it seems like such a girl car, however, I am sold thus far. This car is extremely fun to drive and it truly looks cool, especially with the top down. I'm 6'4 and I fit wonderfully in either front seat with plenty of leg room. The back seats are tighter, that's for sure, but if you're buying the car for space in the back seat then you're looking at the wrong vehicle. I love this car!!

Tiptronic transmission, very good sound system, convertible top is easy to raise and lower, steering is great.

Move instrument panel or trim it to give my right knee a tad bit more room

Annoyed
By frustrated

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I pulled my Salsa Red off the lot only 7 weeks ago. The darn thing is falling apart. I am completely frustrated as it has been in the shop twice now resulting in me being in a rental for a total of 6 of the 40 days I have owned it. The Air Bag light came on within the first week. Now my Audio Jack disappeared into the console when I tried to plug my MP3 player in with the cable I just bought. The trunk liner doesn't match up with the body of the car, and there is a knocking at the bottom when I make turns and they are saying it is my trunk contents. TRUNK IS EMPTY!! I haven't turned 1500 miles yet and completely regret my purchase. I think it was assembled by a 2 year old.

It's a fun and comfortable ride.

Quality assurance!!