Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Fun on the road!
By WinsletRose

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Wow! As a Ford driver for many years, I was really hesitant to purchase a VW. But my husband's encouragement and only one test drive, I fell in love with the 2006 VW Beetle. It handles like a true sports car, with very zippy driving (5 cyl. automatic) curve hugging turns, and overall just fun to drive. I thought that it would be very whimpy after only driving 6- & 8-cylinder vehicles, but I was wrong! It's a true sports car! The tiptronic transmission is awesome too, you can feel the car shifting, which is a trip if you are not used to driving stick shift. It's a true stick feel, but with all the ease of an automatic. We have two kids and the whole family is comfortable in this car as well. Overall this is a fun vehicle!

Favorite Features

The tiptronic automatic transmission with the feel of a manual. It is so cool to feel the car upshift and downshift. the car sounds great too if you have a modified exhaust. We also love the simple things such as the hand crank on the seats. It is simple, but very cool!

The New 2006 Beetle is Much Better!
By Brandon C

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

When compared to even the 2005 VW Beetle, The New 2006 models makes a world of difference in both features and handling. The new 2006 has a far more powerful 2.5L in-line 5-cylinder engine that gets GREAT fuel mileage and also produces more power than even the 2005 1.8T Turbo! I have owned a 2003 Beetle and would say my new Salsa Red 2006 Beetle beats it by far! The new interior design tweeks like chrome rings, a redesigned speedometer, and an MP3 player input really gives it that extra kick! I hope this review helped you! You must see one of these in person! this is the best VW ever!

Favorite Features

I love the new sporty design - it makes a huge diference, the new headlight and taillight designs, and the MP3 player connector.

Suggested Improvements

No improvments needed... olkswagen got it right the first time!

So Far, So Good
By david85m

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Well, after swearing I would NEVER own another VW after my experience with my 2000 Beetle, I had to get a new 2006 model. I bought the Gecko Green Beetle, and so far, I'm THRILLED with the car. The small changes they've made to it (cupholders, chrome around vents, exterior lights, 5 cyl engine) have made all the difference. It is like no other car on the road...I just can't stay away from it! It does kind of stink that I'm always scared it won't start due to previous experience, but so far so good! I've had just a few small issues, the rear hatch sometimes takes two tries to open, the speakers rattle pretty badly and the gas mileage is way worse than before.

Favorite Features

Pretty much everything. It's cute, fun, soooo comfortable and luxurious. Everyone that gets in it can't believe it a beetle. I LOVE the iPod jack!

Suggested Improvements

Quality...I shouldn't have ANY problems with a new car, granted it's nothing big...but still, I doubt Honda would have any problems. The gas mileage is also bad (22 on average). They should have kept the 1.8T :(.

Not Happy
By gecko06

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had one thing after another go wrong with my 2006 Volkswagen Beetle. The window was out of alignment, the emergency break over loose, the inside panel rattled, the trunk won't open with the auto-button on key. It rides good but all these little things make us wonder why we gave up the Honda Civic for a cooler looking (but not built) car. We've had to visit the dealer almost five times to solve these problems. For the Honda we just visited for oil changes and maintenance.

Favorite Features

Nice design, drives well, has good milage and feels safe.

Suggested Improvements

Better workmanship of the interior. I wish the dealers weren't so eager to sell the car if it is not ready for the consumer to purchase. We waited three weeks to get the car just to have it in this shoddy condition.

2005 Beetle
By jackson

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I was very excited to buy my 2006 Volkswagen Beetle. It's cool looking and fun to drive, but belive every bit of bad press that you read because the build quality is awful. I own a 1971 VW that is actually more reliable than this thing. Save your money and sanity and buy something else.

Favorite Features

The looks.

Suggested Improvements

Build it in Germany with some decent quality control.