2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Fun with the Top Down
By nancy on 08/12/06 06:33 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love my new purchase. It is well worth every penny. I looked at a few convertibles and for the money it is an amazing vehicle. It is not my only car so I don't have to depend on it during the winter snow months, but I do hear that is should handle great during that time. I am actually confident that it will because so far I am very impressed. I like to drive larger vehicles (SUVs) and I was very surprised that I did not feel confined when I sat in this car for the first time. I love driving it and can't wait everyday to get into it. I have not driven my SUV since. I bought it somewhat because of gas prices and fun but the gas mileage is an added bonus. I love it, love it, love it.

2006 Beetle
By Beth on 08/03/06 14:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car is so much fun to drive and unlike the VW Beetles of the '60's and '70's, it is built very solidly. It has a lot of power to go up hills and I feel very safe driving it. It also has enough room for my 6'2" husband to feel comfortable in.

Great car!
By Thomas on 07/24/06 14:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We have had the car for about a month now and love it! We have had a Buick Rendezvous for five years, so we really did not know how we would like being in a little car and riding down low to the ground - but we really like how it feels on the road. It is surprisingly smooth on the highway as we took a recent two-hour trip that was very comfortable. In town we love how it handles in traffic with its peppy engine. It is not a luxury car, but a fun sports car. Our friends and family are surprised how roomy it is inside when they ride in it for the first time.

Don't Even Think About It!
By Ace on 07/16/06 19:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Let's start with the blinds spots: there are plenty - front and rear. Also, there is no light for the back seat, no leg room for my passengers there either, and I am only 5'10". The mirror adjustment is chintzy. Why doesn't the top stow away? Latching the roof is hard to do but that's okay because so is the trunk. The air conditioning is not very strong and the louvres are a joke. The car is fun at 30 miles per hour, but if you go faster the road noise (wind) will challege the sound system. Gas mileage? Try 18 mpg, can you believe it? The transmission is nice and loose ( I mean slipping). I guess this is why the finance man said that nobody keeps them after their two-year lease is up! Who could blame them? How about power seats?

I Can't Hear You
By Doc on 07/15/06 19:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The poor Beetle suffers. Its gas mileage has been less than I expected, lots. Wind noise? Try wind tunnel! What about the power top, eh? You have to manual twist your wrist off! Trunk? Forget it because the top gets in the way. Leg room in back, not if I drive. Take my car, please! Next time I'll get a Honda, Saab, or the Nissan Z.

The Cutest Car on the Road but...
By colorado1974 on 07/14/06 08:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We, like 1,000 other VW owners are filing for lemon law this year. Of the few months we have had it, most of the time has been spent in the dealership's service driveway instead of ours. The windows randomly go down, the front logo peeled off, the starter doesn't work all the time, the radio quit, the top broke twice, there is a metallic sound from the front and the kicker is that I am only getting 20 mpg at best. The window sticker said I'd do much better. Everytime I get the car back it is fixed but after a couple weeks, more problems seem to set it back. Ugh.

New Beetle Convertible
By meyer on 07/14/06 02:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

After driving the Audi A4 Cabrio and Nissan 350Z convertible, I sat in the Beetle. What a difference. Unlike the Audi, the pedals are far enough apart so you don't hit the brakes while touching the gas. Unlike the Z, you have SPACE! Needless to say...after taking a quick spin, I wrote a check for the car. I got mine for a fair price - less than its Edmunds.com TMV...on the road! I just took an extanded long weekend road trip. What a blast. I wish they had lumbar in the seats...like my two Passats though.

Style AND Substance
By Darin on 07/01/06 05:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

After considering a number of convertibles including the Ford Mustang and Mini Cooper, I decided to go with the VW New Beetle. The Mini was just too small and the Mustang's interior had a cheap look to it that really turned me off. I hadn't considered the VW until riding in one last fall. I thought that is was too much a chick car. Well, I was amazed with the amount of headroom and legroom it had. The interior also seemed very well assembled with high quality materials. I also was intrigued by the new, more powerful 2.5 engine. Although I had read about VW reliability, it seemed the best choice for a convertible priced at less than $30,000. Five months into owning it, I have not had any problems.

It's a winner
By bgkelly on 06/21/06 12:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Our 2006 Beetle convertible has been a pleasure to own. The comfort is excellent (I'm 6'2"), the handling is right on, the engine (2.5L 5 cyl) is very responsive and the transmission seems very smart (6 speed auto). The convertible top fits like a glove and is easy to operate. The car is a blast to drive with the top down. The subtle exterior styling changes for the 2006 are perfect and really set it apart from the older models. I wish my wife would let me drive it more.

All This Fun for Only $25,000
By Lender 1 on 06/21/06 07:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife and I decided we wanted a fun convertible as a third car. The New Beetle is wonderful! It has lots of pep in Sport mode, the seats are very comfortable and the sound system is better than the one in my $84,000 Mercedes S Class. The top boot is easy to install and the interior has plenty of room in the front. It is fun to drive and is very stable and quite for a convertible (with the top up) at 80 MPH on the freeway.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.