Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Fun car....but there are issues
By kris

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my 06' after a ton of research. I really love my car, it's fun to drive and i get pretty good gas mileage. I've had a TON of issues with my dealership, so don't go to Fladebo in Irvine CA. Also, my car kept overheating and my temp light kept flashing red. It took 4 days for the dealership to fix it and the entire coolant system had to be replaced (thankfully it was covered by my warranty). My top gets stuck sometimes too, and wont go all the way down. Surprisingly good trunk and passenger space. My husband is 6'2" and has lots of leg room. The car drives pretty well, but it can be really bumpy. By far one of the best convertibles for under 25K.

Favorite Features

iPod hook up in dash, heated front seats, great sound when the top is down

Well I had enough
By lemurees

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Just got rid of my brand new(when I bought it) 2006 Auto Beetle convertible and I am relieved. Powertrainwise everything was great, but I just wanted to forewarn anyone that you will have lots of small problems. And off warranty I am sure these problems will cost $$$. Let's just say an oil change was $80-120. Over a 2 year period I added that it cost me over $400 in oil changes and PM. The dealership was a rip-off and the only reason I had the oil changed there was I ALWAYS had something to have fixed, including the conv. top not coming back up. I can go on. I traded it in with a broken headlight! Anyway I bought a new car with PM included. The beetle is nice if it is not your only!

Favorite Features

Cute. Very simple and fun to drive. Fairly good gas mileage. Easy to wash! Nice headroom. Lots of little extras and safety features. The clock and Temp. display was useful

Suggested Improvements

Better quality! Bumper to bumper like 100,000 miles! Easier headlight removal!

2006 Bug Convertible
By Bill F

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Had a few problems with tail lights not working, burning out and a dashboard recall. My wife loves it but now we have a teenage daughter driving so will have to trade it off for safety reasons. I honestly don't think the quality is up to what they sell these things for. Interior is cheaply done, floor mat holders break off in the first couple months. Get the XM radio, ours did not have it. They are cute though and fun to drive and easy to park. There are some blind spots. Also in Houston with large pickup trucks, the bug is sometimes not seen. I would own this car as a 3rd car.

Favorite Features

Top ease up and down. Great acceleration and handling. Ease to get into the back seat if needed. Interior room for adults is great.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the drink holders, they are not user friendly. Get rid of the floor mat holders, they break off way to easy, use rubber mats instead. No storage inside the car, put in a coin holder someplace.

Did I tell you, how much I love my bug?
By happydazbugluvr

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I do! I love my bug! And our children do too! The children and I love the attention we get everywhere we go! I love driving my cute mellow yellow bug to work with the top down every morning. I wake up every day to a great day! I love, love, love my bug! Funnest and happiest car I have ever owned. I can't imagine my life without my bug!

Favorite Features

The convertible top and the color. I have the manual top and it couldn't be easier. I never liked yellow cars, but the "mellow" yellow is perfect for me, soft and bright and sunny and happy! I love the body style and the small size overall of the car. This car is perfect for a petite girl like me.

Suggested Improvements

I only have two suggestions.F ix the trunk. It is kinda hard to close most of the time. And the passenger blind spot is pretty dangerous.

Lovin' my Red Bug
By RedBug

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I traded in my SUV for this cute ride. The back seat is roomy enough for my two kids and I have even driven around my adult friends in the back seat. I love the way I can feel the road and take drives with the top down for pleasure. It is great for girlfriend trips to the beach and just having fun. Roadtrips are okay, just be sure to stop for the rear seat riders to stretch their legs. I've had RedBug for over a year now, and the only minor problem was the interior was separating from the clips holding it to the back glass. It does have a blind spot, as most convertibles do.

Favorite Features

I put a Hula Man on the dash and I love how people smile when they see my car. I love being able to plug in my iPod and listen to music with the top down.

Suggested Improvements

Move the rear drink holder and add an extra one to the back. You can't lift the armrest when a drink is in the backseat holder. Add an iPod holder and we're all set!