Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

What a lemon
By Valerie

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

As cute as this car is, I can't explain how horrible the last 11 months have been with it. With my two previous cars we had zero problems, I suppose I made up for all that time with my Beetle. Thankfully, there have been no major mechanical problems. However, random reflectors have just fallen off, and if I'm lucky, both turn signals work. The seats could be more comfortable, and it's difficult to adjust the angle with the round "knobs." I don't drive much at all and I fill up two times a week. My car gets terrible gas mileage. I'll be selling the car before it's a year old.

The aux. jack for an MP3 player.

The front cup holder placement is awful. I can't fit a small drink in there if I have a passenger. What a waste of space. The gas mileage is horrible, nowhere NEAR the estimate. I can't sell this car fast enough.

Luv My Bug
By Jennifer B

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is the car I have always wanted! It's fun to drive and the new Gecko Green for 2006 is so pretty! I got the manual transmission with package one and satellite radio.

I really like everything about this car, the seats are super comfy, it has a decent amount of get up and go! It also has a great stereo system I love the MP3 AUX hook up. Nobody can tell the difference in the leatheret and the real leather seats. They are so comfortable.

Better gas mileage :( Would be nice to have 3 seat belts in the back instead of just two.

Fun the Second Time Around
By steven kadsand

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is the second Beetle that my wife and I have owned and we enjoy the fun and preformance that it offers. The 2.5L engine has as much punch as the 1.8 turbo that we had the first time around did without the turbo lag.

My favorite features include how the engine has cam drive chains instead of the belt drives and we like the new cup holder locations. The iPod connecter is handy also.

Put the turbo on the 2.5L engine or better yet supercharge it so you don't get the turbo lag and get some more fun colors like some kind of lavender (for my wife'). Our previous Beetle was Blue Vortex. The color was was awesome. We hated to get rid of it, but the salsa red caught my wife's eye.

A great addition to my family!
By Christopheroh9

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I took delivery of my new Ghecko green VW New Beetle 2.5 automatic in February. I love this car! Ergonomically speaking, it fits most of my needs in being a well constructed, German engineered hatchback. So far, after driving 600 miles, no rattles or squeeks have surfaced. The 5 cylinder gasoline motor provides a great amount of performance- you may find yourself exceeding your local speed limits. Having grown up with other earlier VW models, the 2006 is the tightest in respect to fit and finish. I consider my New Beetle "my poor man's Porsche". Forget everything that you recall about the Bug...this car will make you look more than twice at it's value. I can't wait for VW in 2010.

I recommend choosing option package #1. The heated seats in the cold weather are fabulous as are the power sunroof, upgraded factory stereo system, heated mirrors and washer nozzles. The adjustable seats provide a good deal of support,as does the 6 speed automatic provides the option to vary speed

Very few suggestions but I would like to see the ignition switch relocated to a more open space... maybe to the left of the steering wheel. Would be a lot easier to find the switch in the dark. Standard tire offerings should be an option... not sure about the Michelin X tire? Time will tell.

My happy car!
By Mary5685

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The Beetle still has an awkward cup holder system, it is but not a big deal unless there is two of us in car. Good handling with the Pm2 system. I just love this color red and feel happy to drive it every day. However I have to sort out the owner's manual as it state it is for a convertible and I have a hardtop-did not get satisfactory answer from my salesperson-will check at its first servicing. I got a great deal with XM radio and rubber floor mats for $21,500. I had a 2005 TDI which ended up being a lemon, but had enough faith in VW that this was just a one off thing-glad to have the gas bigger engine now that I have switched. No regrets.

Salsa red color, XM radio, attractive wheels, and handling. The leg room is great as I am 6 feet tall and a large woman. This car is very comfortable on long trips.

• SUV