2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Fun car....but there are issues
By kris on 03/23/08 15:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my 06' after a ton of research. I really love my car, it's fun to drive and i get pretty good gas mileage. I've had a TON of issues with my dealership, so don't go to Fladebo in Irvine CA. Also, my car kept overheating and my temp light kept flashing red. It took 4 days for the dealership to fix it and the entire coolant system had to be replaced (thankfully it was covered by my warranty). My top gets stuck sometimes too, and wont go all the way down. Surprisingly good trunk and passenger space. My husband is 6'2" and has lots of leg room. The car drives pretty well, but it can be really bumpy. By far one of the best convertibles for under 25K.

Well I had enough
By lemurees on 03/21/08 17:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Just got rid of my brand new(when I bought it) 2006 Auto Beetle convertible and I am relieved. Powertrainwise everything was great, but I just wanted to forewarn anyone that you will have lots of small problems. And off warranty I am sure these problems will cost $$$. Let's just say an oil change was $80-120. Over a 2 year period I added that it cost me over $400 in oil changes and PM. The dealership was a rip-off and the only reason I had the oil changed there was I ALWAYS had something to have fixed, including the conv. top not coming back up. I can go on. I traded it in with a broken headlight! Anyway I bought a new car with PM included. The beetle is nice if it is not your only!

2006 Bug Convertible
By Bill F on 08/21/07 08:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Had a few problems with tail lights not working, burning out and a dashboard recall. My wife loves it but now we have a teenage daughter driving so will have to trade it off for safety reasons. I honestly don't think the quality is up to what they sell these things for. Interior is cheaply done, floor mat holders break off in the first couple months. Get the XM radio, ours did not have it. They are cute though and fun to drive and easy to park. There are some blind spots. Also in Houston with large pickup trucks, the bug is sometimes not seen. I would own this car as a 3rd car.

Did I tell you, how much I love my bug?
By happydazbugluvr on 07/27/07 18:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I do! I love my bug! And our children do too! The children and I love the attention we get everywhere we go! I love driving my cute mellow yellow bug to work with the top down every morning. I wake up every day to a great day! I love, love, love my bug! Funnest and happiest car I have ever owned. I can't imagine my life without my bug!

Lovin' my Red Bug
By RedBug on 07/10/07 10:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I traded in my SUV for this cute ride. The back seat is roomy enough for my two kids and I have even driven around my adult friends in the back seat. I love the way I can feel the road and take drives with the top down for pleasure. It is great for girlfriend trips to the beach and just having fun. Roadtrips are okay, just be sure to stop for the rear seat riders to stretch their legs. I've had RedBug for over a year now, and the only minor problem was the interior was separating from the clips holding it to the back glass. It does have a blind spot, as most convertibles do.

My wife loves it but I don't
By Different Opinions on 07/06/07 06:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife is totally happy with the car. It is a reincarnate of her '69 convertible. I find the gas mileage to be low (only 22 mpg AFTER they fixed the transmission. It was way lower) and lots of quality control issues; they left the suspension blocking in when they prepped the car, there was no heat when stopped at stop lights due to improperly filled radiator (my wife that this was normal for a Beetle), the roof boot does not snap into place, the transmission shift computer failed, and if you look at the paint wrong, it scratches. It is powerful and comfortable, and does have a distinctive style. My wife loves the car. The 10K checkup is Monday and that will be $300 for an oil change!

Great so far
By Kreul on 06/29/07 07:56 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Well we just bought our Bug so we'll have to wait and see about the reliability. I bought this car for my wife. It's her dream car and she's always wanted it so I finally did it. I was initially embarrassed to even be in the thing because it seems like such a girl car, however, I am sold thus far. This car is extremely fun to drive and it truly looks cool, especially with the top down. I'm 6'4 and I fit wonderfully in either front seat with plenty of leg room. The back seats are tighter, that's for sure, but if you're buying the car for space in the back seat then you're looking at the wrong vehicle. I love this car!!

Annoyed
By frustrated on 04/06/07 12:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I pulled my Salsa Red off the lot only 7 weeks ago. The darn thing is falling apart. I am completely frustrated as it has been in the shop twice now resulting in me being in a rental for a total of 6 of the 40 days I have owned it. The Air Bag light came on within the first week. Now my Audio Jack disappeared into the console when I tried to plug my MP3 player in with the cable I just bought. The trunk liner doesn't match up with the body of the car, and there is a knocking at the bottom when I make turns and they are saying it is my trunk contents. TRUNK IS EMPTY!! I haven't turned 1500 miles yet and completely regret my purchase. I think it was assembled by a 2 year old.

My Midlife Crisis Car
By MSPT on 03/07/07 22:42 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I'm a big guy, and here I am celebrating my 40th with a Silver and Black VW New Beetle Convertible. I'm still deeply in love with this car even five months after buying it. The semi-automatic roof is a must, but the sound system and XM radio sound great, even when the top is down. I bought this car knowing that the backseat would become my trunk, since both are so small, but since I don't have kids, it's not a problem. The 6-speed with sport mode is wonderful and allows me to surprise some sports car drivers with its passing power. I plan on keeping this baby for a long-long time, and will only replace her with another like her.

Just love it.
By Cathy on 12/30/06 20:05 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I just bought my 2006 VW convertible and I absolutely love it. It's so comfortable, the leather seats are soft and feel great. The stereo sounds wonderful and I love all the new safety features in this little package. I have wanted this car for years but never sat in one. I drove a minivan for the past seven years and just love the hight of the seating so I was concerned that this would cramp me in. Being a very short woman this was the most perfect car for me. I LOVE IT, more then I thought I would. Even the back seats are comfy to ride in. I know, I checked it out myself. I love driving with the top down and I have no problems working it. Sure the trunk is small, but it's a small car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.