Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Loved It! Hated It!
By HeatherO

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The Aquarius Blue New Beetle with the black convertible top was my dream car so you can imagine how happy I was when I finally bought one. I had the car 3 days before the headlight went out the first time. So it went into the shop...for a total of 6 times over a two year period...for the same headlight! I also had power windows that randomly went down, alarms and lights that went off for no reason and brake lights that sometimes worked, sometimes not. I cannot tell you how disappointed I was by this car. I loved the way it looked. Loved the convertible. But VW completely let me down.

Adorable. Fun to drive especially with the top down.

Fix the headlight problems (I have heard this complaint from MANY Beetle owners). Fix the electrical system. Stand behind your vehicle and don't charge a fortune for service.

The End of a 35 Year VW Relationship
By Elenewlife

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I grew up in a VW family; everyone drove them. I've had over 15 myself. The trans was defective from day 1 and VW did nothing to help. When it broke around 10,000 they said I must be "riding the clutch". Many of these vehicles had flywheel problems; VW did nothing. Mine overheated in traffic; couldn't go on hills; shook all over and became disabled. The lights were an issue; windows and also the A/C compressor. I have always bought VW because they were reliable and VW stood behind them. Cute and responsive yet it was manufactured with a defect that VW should've recalled and replaced. They lost me permanently and should be quite ashamed of how they treated many loyal customers.

It is a super fun car to drive.

It has transmission problems across the board. Check the internet - they are all listed there. They didn't stop making them for no reason. They knew what they were doing. Trust me.

2006 New Beetle Convertible, 2.5 pkg 2
By Steve56

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife has always wanted the New Beetle convertible. So I did quite a bit of research online and read many reviews, pro and con. After many months of searching, we finally found the car my wife has been dreaming about. We've only had the car for one week. It's a really fun car to drive, especially with the top down. It handles very well on the highway and gets pretty good gas mileage. There are a couple blind spots but that's normal for most convertibles. It's the heaviest car I've ever owned. You feel like you're riding in a tank!! Overall, I would recommend this car for someone looking for a fun drive. Just watch out for all the stares you're going to get!!

Going topless; safety features; sound system; heated seats; comfortable leather; power top; fun to drive.

A wider armrest; a compartment for CD's; more power; power seats with lumbar support.

Fun, but...
By beachbum66

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Very fun car to drive, but consistent reliability and quality control issues throughout. This is also a very expensive car to get serviced and repaired. Ours stranded us (wouldn't start) several times due to a problem with the theft control system which was eventually fixed via a recall. Also had problems with the headlights , window motor and convertible top which resulted in repeated returns to the dealership and the car being off the road multiple days. Car is also exceedingly susceptible to dings. It is a fun car, but its reliability issues and extreme service costs really detract from the overall satisfaction with the vehicle.

Great handling, good acceleration and great fun.

Quality control and VW needs to make its dealer services less expensive!

Great Little Car
By jerry

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great car fun to drive

Looks, Handling,

Improve convertible top Every convertible I have driven has had the same problem the alarm sounds when the top is down