Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

My experience...
By mystry

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This was my dream car, but it's expensive. I bought the car new in 07 and have loved it, but it gets a lot of small quirks that add up. I am on my 3rd radio b/c the buttons wear down, a battery costs $195 b/c auto shops will not install it you must go to the dealer, the door panels eventully wear down, and indicator lights are always coming on. I spend more time at dealerships and more money on this car than any other car i've ever owned. I've not had as much trouble as some of these reviews, but i've had enough that my dream car is getting traded.... I am tired of spending money on a car that is paid for with less than 100K miles on it. PS, expect to get about 330 miles to a tank.

Favorite Features

Like I said, this was my dream car and I am glad I had it. It handles great, and is so much fun to drive. Tuns and stops on a dime. Top is easy to use, and i've not had any trouble with it. I love the XM radio and ipod jack. Strong leather that is still in great shape. The heated seats are nice, but I live in FL so don't need them too often.

Suggested Improvements

If I could change the car I would put a dimmer on the rear view mirror, make it more durable so it does not always have technical difficulties, make the running boards stronger, the dealership bent mine during an oil change. I think that it, I love the car but it's costing me too much time in repairs.

Surprising little car
By powerdriver82

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Recently purchased this car used for my girlfriend, not exactly my style though i am a devoted fan of german engineering. As much as the exterior designing has just never appealed to me, this car continuously surprises me. The 5-cyl engine is peppy when you need it to be, yet quite fuel efficient when just cruising along. I find i'm regularly able to keep up with my friends Jetta 1.8T which most people just wouldn't expect. Excellent 8 spkr stereo, convenient mp3 input jack, power convertible top moves quickly and easily, heat warms up quickly, a/c cools down equally as fast, amazingly smooth drive, nimble handling. Really the only complaint i have is the body styling. Just not my bag there

Suggested Improvements

I would say the body styling but it kinda defeats the purpose of it being a beetle, other than that, VW...please just continue doing what you do, produce a fun to drive reliable vehicle

No Problems for us
By Rochestervwowner

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife purchased this for her summer car and we garage it from November thru April. The only problem we have had was a stuck spring on the passenger seat, and that was probably from my nephew slamming the seat back to hard. Covered by warranty, no questions asked. Otherwise, the car has been a joy to own. The oil changes are 20.00 more expensive than usual. No big deal. Liked it so much we bought a Passat, which has been equally great. I was surprised to read all the comments about problems with this car as we have had none.

Favorite Features

5 Cylinder engine in Sport mode really moves. Satellite radio. Great handling. V-Tex seat upholstery easy to clean. Seeing my wife and 11 yo daughter rolling up to the house with huge smiles!

Suggested Improvements

Car is really perfect for our needs.

Avoid like the Plague
By harold

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

You may think it's cute, but dont let that exterior fool you, this thing is an engineering nightmare. 2 headlights burn out quickly in under 2 years, rear brake light in 1 year, ALL four windows get stuck or regulartor breaks, 5 visits to fix the convertible stop getting stuck, lots of issues with convertible cords breaking and snapping.

Favorite Features

cute with the top down

Suggested Improvements

the whole thing needs to be scrapped

Worst car i have ever owned!
By KM

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare! I bought it brand new and within 5,000 i started having problems. First, my coolant system went out and it took the dealer almost 2 weeks to fix it. I have had issues with my power windows, and both have been replaced 2x. My car spend 75 days (in a row) at the dealership due to my top not going down and getting stuck. My car has a loss of power when going over 60 mph, and vw said they "couldn't replicate the problem" but it keeps happening. Now my headlights broke and my radio randomly turns off...i can't wait to get rid of this car! I will never buy a vw again, they wont fix anything right and the dealership doesn't even call me back anymore

Favorite Features

fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

I don't even know where to start. Everything needs to be imporoved!