2006 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Good points but
By hilo2525 on 08/28/10 13:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Car is fun to drive. However, high cost to service and maintain from dealer. We are a multi-car household and there will no more VW's in our future.

Loved It! Hated It!
By HeatherO on 07/07/10 14:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The Aquarius Blue New Beetle with the black convertible top was my dream car so you can imagine how happy I was when I finally bought one. I had the car 3 days before the headlight went out the first time. So it went into the shop...for a total of 6 times over a two year period...for the same headlight! I also had power windows that randomly went down, alarms and lights that went off for no reason and brake lights that sometimes worked, sometimes not. I cannot tell you how disappointed I was by this car. I loved the way it looked. Loved the convertible. But VW completely let me down.

The End of a 35 Year VW Relationship
By Elenewlife on 05/04/10 07:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I grew up in a VW family; everyone drove them. I've had over 15 myself. The trans was defective from day 1 and VW did nothing to help. When it broke around 10,000 they said I must be "riding the clutch". Many of these vehicles had flywheel problems; VW did nothing. Mine overheated in traffic; couldn't go on hills; shook all over and became disabled. The lights were an issue; windows and also the A/C compressor. I have always bought VW because they were reliable and VW stood behind them. Cute and responsive yet it was manufactured with a defect that VW should've recalled and replaced. They lost me permanently and should be quite ashamed of how they treated many loyal customers.

VW - look what you made me go through
By E on 04/13/10 00:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this one brand new, first week the wiper blade motor failed on a rainy night on fwy 101. 13 warranties were done on first two years of ownership. For the past 4 years, I had 20 visits to the dealership including oil change, recall, warranties so I am always there every 3 months. I had an oil change done on the 50k mileage and took it back to the dealer when i found oil leaks. They changed the drain plug but after 2 days I need to bring it back to the dealer for more oil leak. Brought it in the morning, then they can't find the source of the oil leak I was told to leave it overnight. Spent so much money for regular maintenance all done through dealers. So unfair, VW. You're so unfair.

2006 New Beetle Convertible, 2.5 pkg 2
By Steve56 on 04/01/10 15:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife has always wanted the New Beetle convertible. So I did quite a bit of research online and read many reviews, pro and con. After many months of searching, we finally found the car my wife has been dreaming about. We've only had the car for one week. It's a really fun car to drive, especially with the top down. It handles very well on the highway and gets pretty good gas mileage. There are a couple blind spots but that's normal for most convertibles. It's the heaviest car I've ever owned. You feel like you're riding in a tank!! Overall, I would recommend this car for someone looking for a fun drive. Just watch out for all the stares you're going to get!!

Fun, but...
By beachbum66 on 02/20/10 09:13 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Very fun car to drive, but consistent reliability and quality control issues throughout. This is also a very expensive car to get serviced and repaired. Ours stranded us (wouldn't start) several times due to a problem with the theft control system which was eventually fixed via a recall. Also had problems with the headlights , window motor and convertible top which resulted in repeated returns to the dealership and the car being off the road multiple days. Car is also exceedingly susceptible to dings. It is a fun car, but its reliability issues and extreme service costs really detract from the overall satisfaction with the vehicle.

Great Little Car
By jerry on 11/04/09 10:34 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great car fun to drive

Love my Bug
By deb on 10/14/09 03:13 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am enjoying my car so much. I haven't had any trouble other than my CD player not working, but it was still under warranty so it was replaced. I feel like I'm driving a sports car and it definitely turns heads everywhere I go. VW service depart has been great, always very friendly and helpful. I am very glad I purchased this car and look forward to years of driving it.

Little Green Machine
By RsWine5 on 07/11/09 10:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

All I can say is I love it! I went from a F150 to a Bug. It drives like a sports car, the handling is great. 2 weeks after my purchase I drove R/T from Texas to West Virginia, the gas seemed to last forever, comfortable the whole way. I had the oil changed when I returned + tire rotation, cost - 18.79. I was told to have the oil changed every 5000 miles. All in all, it's a great little car! Oh, one problem: Trying to get a 100 pound Lab in the back seat for her Vet visit.

Love my Bug
By Bug sailing on 06/04/09 07:34 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my 4th VW. My first was a 1974 Super Beetle loved it,Rabbit Convertible fun, 03' Convertible new beetle, and my current purchase is a pre-owned 06' new beetle. Of course the beetle has changed since the early years but they are sooo fun to drive and still after all these years get the heads turning. Everyone loves the bug!I love the tight feel of the new bug,one could almost think they are driving a real sports car! Service is good and I love Bug sailing!(driving with the top down) My only complaint is there is no cargo space limits your shopping!I shall check back later!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.