Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

I wanted to love it!
By patriciagilson

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car and it was my dream car. I was really sad when teh leather seats started to rip, when I am a gentle driver and dont weigh a lot or do anything to wear them down. The headlights die, no joke, every six months and are expensive and a pain in the booty to fix yourself. The airbag light is on, the gas cap light goes on and off for no reason while I drive. I am at 100k miles and my check engine light came on. I took it to an auto part store to diagnose it and it ran FIFTEEN codes. my o2 senor and lots of misfires and leaks and when I chenged my oil it came out lumpy, even though i change it on time EVERY time. To be fair it has never broke down on me, but parts are expensive.

Favorite Features

its cute, really cute. Itsactually does fit 2 car seats and it is comfortable and fun to drive. My 3 year old daughter LOVES it because she doesnt understand value. I was 20 when I bought it and neither did I.

Suggested Improvements

electrical work, electrical work, electrical work. Oh and make maintenance easier.

VW - look what you made me go through
By E

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this one brand new, first week the wiper blade motor failed on a rainy night on fwy 101. 13 warranties were done on first two years of ownership. For the past 4 years, I had 20 visits to the dealership including oil change, recall, warranties so I am always there every 3 months. I had an oil change done on the 50k mileage and took it back to the dealer when i found oil leaks. They changed the drain plug but after 2 days I need to bring it back to the dealer for more oil leak. Brought it in the morning, then they can't find the source of the oil leak I was told to leave it overnight. Spent so much money for regular maintenance all done through dealers. So unfair, VW. You're so unfair.

Suggested Improvements

Low maintenance amount.

Little Green Machine
By RsWine5

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

All I can say is I love it! I went from a F150 to a Bug. It drives like a sports car, the handling is great. 2 weeks after my purchase I drove R/T from Texas to West Virginia, the gas seemed to last forever, comfortable the whole way. I had the oil changed when I returned + tire rotation, cost - 18.79. I was told to have the oil changed every 5000 miles. All in all, it's a great little car! Oh, one problem: Trying to get a 100 pound Lab in the back seat for her Vet visit.

Favorite Features

Handling, Sun Roof, interior, radio, how back set folds down, the little turn nobs for the floor rugs. Oh, and the flower.

Suggested Improvements

Really don't have any, but if something comes up, I will be back.

Worth my money
By luvmybug

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle as a Certified VW. This vehicle has been excellent, well worth my money and time. Jump in and drive. Love the Sunroof, the power and the fuel economy. This automatic produces nearly 28 MPG highway and 24 MPG City. Handles well and gets out it own way. Highly recommended.....

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

A C could be colder

Never Again
By Cory

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This lease has become the bane of my existence. The car has broken down five times in two years (and that's not counting the small problems when I could still drive it). Bad enough it keeps breaking, but VW does NOTHING to stand behind their product. The transmission leaked when I drove it off the lot. No loaner cars, no concern for my safety. They kept telling me that they valued me as a customer, but what they value is my money.

Favorite Features

Surprisingly roomy trunk

Suggested Improvements

Either make cars that actually work, or stand behind your product.