2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
I wanted to love it!
By patriciagilson on 08/22/12 21:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car and it was my dream car. I was really sad when teh leather seats started to rip, when I am a gentle driver and dont weigh a lot or do anything to wear them down. The headlights die, no joke, every six months and are expensive and a pain in the booty to fix yourself. The airbag light is on, the gas cap light goes on and off for no reason while I drive. I am at 100k miles and my check engine light came on. I took it to an auto part store to diagnose it and it ran FIFTEEN codes. my o2 senor and lots of misfires and leaks and when I chenged my oil it came out lumpy, even though i change it on time EVERY time. To be fair it has never broke down on me, but parts are expensive.

VW - look what you made me go through
By E on 04/13/10 00:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this one brand new, first week the wiper blade motor failed on a rainy night on fwy 101. 13 warranties were done on first two years of ownership. For the past 4 years, I had 20 visits to the dealership including oil change, recall, warranties so I am always there every 3 months. I had an oil change done on the 50k mileage and took it back to the dealer when i found oil leaks. They changed the drain plug but after 2 days I need to bring it back to the dealer for more oil leak. Brought it in the morning, then they can't find the source of the oil leak I was told to leave it overnight. Spent so much money for regular maintenance all done through dealers. So unfair, VW. You're so unfair.

Little Green Machine
By RsWine5 on 07/11/09 10:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

All I can say is I love it! I went from a F150 to a Bug. It drives like a sports car, the handling is great. 2 weeks after my purchase I drove R/T from Texas to West Virginia, the gas seemed to last forever, comfortable the whole way. I had the oil changed when I returned + tire rotation, cost - 18.79. I was told to have the oil changed every 5000 miles. All in all, it's a great little car! Oh, one problem: Trying to get a 100 pound Lab in the back seat for her Vet visit.

Worth my money
By luvmybug on 05/18/09 12:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle as a Certified VW. This vehicle has been excellent, well worth my money and time. Jump in and drive. Love the Sunroof, the power and the fuel economy. This automatic produces nearly 28 MPG highway and 24 MPG City. Handles well and gets out it own way. Highly recommended.....

Never Again
By Cory on 09/26/08 06:29 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This lease has become the bane of my existence. The car has broken down five times in two years (and that's not counting the small problems when I could still drive it). Bad enough it keeps breaking, but VW does NOTHING to stand behind their product. The transmission leaked when I drove it off the lot. No loaner cars, no concern for my safety. They kept telling me that they valued me as a customer, but what they value is my money.

Goodbuy and Good Riddance
By Daffodil on 08/21/08 07:35 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is a darling car if you never have to actually go anywhere. Oh how I wish I had read these reviews before buying. It is cute; it gets good mileage. Mine had a sunroof, good stereo, heated leather seats, and a nice little growl in the engine. It was a commuting dream car but what is the point of all that cuteness and fun if it is in the shop all the time? I still sigh when I see them on the road, but I pat the dash of my trusty Toyota and keep going.

good gas mileage Fun, Cute Bug ; )
By Tiff7575 on 06/03/08 11:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought a pre owned VW beetle PZEV Auto, I love the car so far I have only had it two weeks bought it at 37,510 miles one owner lease Great gas mileage about 32/35 on the FWY. So great with gas prices at $4.20 Very clean car beige on beige Leather with all of the upgrades. Cute, fun to drive with get up and go I bought the Beetle over the Jetta just because I thought it was a cuter car more my style And not as common as the Jetta is in CA. Overall great car and I will recommend it to anyone. Also next time I buy from VW I hope to get the Eros or VW beetle convertible.

Never Again
By txjules77 on 05/16/08 09:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I'm just waiting for my lease to end. This is my 2nd VW (I leased a Jetta previously, similar problems). I refuse to take it to the dealership for oil changes bc it would cost me $80+/oil change! This car has lived in the shop. I've had constant electrical problems, including the traction light staying on (and waiting a full day for the new part to come in), the seatbelt light coming at random (they said they "couldn't duplicate the problem" so they couldn't fix it), back latch doesn't work. I'm fed up with VW in general. And customer service sucks. With all the repairs, they don't offer a free rental car. The only way I got on with the last repair is the guy who drives you home was not in.

Do not buy a Beetle!
By emily on 05/10/08 09:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car used in Oct.2007 and within a week of buying it, it was in the shop. I have to go to the shop at least once a month, they know me by name now. First I had to replace my radio then my headlights kept burning out and it's just easier for them to change them. Then my backseat came all the way off when I tried to fold it down. My engine light has come on twice now. I'm taking it back in Monday because something is wrong with my transmission, I can't use the triptronic feature and all my gear lights stay on. It died on me for about 1 minute while doing 80 mph on the highway. I definitely won't keep this car past the warranty, probably wont make it another year anyway!

Fun to drive, keep your walking shoes
By George H. on 01/07/08 09:23 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great visibility and fast, fun ride. Be prepared with your cell phone--mine has quit running twice, needed tow, took about a week to repair each time. Trunk won't unlock 80% of the time with either the remote or inside release and one of the remote key fobs just quit working. This review is from the owner of a 2005 Mercedes SLK (so I know fun to drive) and a 2006 Honda Ridgeline (so I know high quality). Before it's out of warranty I'm going to get something else--another Beetle if the JD Powers and Consumer's Reports ratings improve. This beetle replaced a 2001 model I bought used; that one never broke. In fairness, this is a very early build of the new model.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.