Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

My Beetle
By Spongebob

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is the third Beetle I have owned since 1998. The improvements are obvious from the styling to the dropped outside mirrors for better visibility. This car isn't for everyone. It's for fun loving people who like a car that looks like no other, handles great, and performs flawlessly. it fits me to a T and I wouldn't even consider another car on the road today. It is unique.

Personally, I love the heated seats, the satellite radio, CD player, and the self dimming rear view mirror. Lets face it, I just love it.

My biggest gripe about the Beetle was the side mirror position, but VW has improved it considerably.

2006 TDI Tiptronic
By Brett F

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We scrambled to find a TDI Beetle with package 1 options including sunroof, heated seats, and leatherette interior. My wife drives it about 420 miles a week and is averaging 36-38 mpg in mostly city use. The car got about 42 mpg hwy the one time we had it on the road at 65 mph with A/C on. The 6-speed auto transmission can be shifted manually or fully auto. It shifts smoothly and quietly and the 1.9L turbodiesel spools very efficiently. The ride is a bit stiff, but it is smooth. The seats are a bit of a pain to adjust but the controls work well. Don't expect the luggage room of an SUV, but it is good for groceries and weekenders. We liked it so much we went out and bought a 2004 manual TDI too!

I like the eccentric styling, interior roominess, cabin material quality, fit and features. Its tight turning radius and the ability to go up to 560 miles on a single tank of fuel are great.

It should have more conventional seat control adjustments, an easily removable rear seat to allow extra cargo room, tasteful running board style chrome/rubber applications, the old style twin chrome exhaust tips, and a more unique sounding horn.

A Responsible Mode of Transport
By W Benson

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is a "poor man's Porsche." It is really fun to drive. It accelerates uphill like a scared rabbit (pardon the unintended reference to another VW model). Plus it is VERY economical on fuel.

The diesel engine.

None

Once and Done
By never again VW

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Of all the cars I have ever known this by far was absolutely the biggest nightmare. If I added all my repair receipts I could have bought this car twice. There has been nothing mechanical or otherwise about this car that has not been repaired or replaced. I have had this car in the shop at least six times this year. I wish there was something good to say about this car since I have wanted to own one all of my life, but I guess the good Lord was trying to tell me something. Now all I want to do is get rid of it as soon as possible. That won't happen though until I get it fixed.

The gas mileage.

Go back to the old Beetle.

Great Car
By L. Bruce

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I just bought my VW Beetle for my 120 mile round trip to work each day. It is already paying for itself. It provides great performance, fuel economy, and styling. The back seat is cramped but the front seats are very comfy. I got it with a 100,000 warranty, I will probably do that many miles in it in two years, and will then rate this vehicle again. So far, I love it! I plan to do 40,000 miles a year. This is the car for it.

I like this car's great fuel economy, quiet cabin, and cruise control. It is very well engineered. It feels and rides like a bigger car.

The arm rest should adjust one notch higher. Also, the volume controls for the radio on the steering is wheel similar to the Scion and is difficult to adjust while driving.