Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

I wouldn't do VW again.
By peppi1

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I happen to like my little car a great deal. I never dreamt that I would have ever owned a New Beetle Convertible. I like the color, build, and style. I rated the interior poorly because any time a part is needed, which is not that often, I find myself having to dish out a heck of a lot of hard-earned bills. To replace a simple part, VW interior parts come with the whole entire assembly... I guess they hope that they will get all of your money. It does not make sense to have to replace
the entire assembly just to need one small part. The parts are too expensive.If you touch the dashboard it bruises easily and my car leaks heavily when it rains when the windows are rolled up completely!

I like the way the seats heat up and the dashboard has a lot of room.

The dashboard doesn't need to make imprints so easily, the windows need to have a tighter connection so that whenever it rains, the windows will not leak rain; if so, it causes mildew. The car need not that many fancy commodities just to have to keep replacing and spend a lot of money to replace the entire assembly when all I needed was a small and simple part.

The End of a 35 Year VW Relationship
By Elenewlife

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I grew up in a VW family; everyone drove them. I've had over 15 myself. The trans was defective from day 1 and VW did nothing to help. When it broke around 10,000 they said I must be "riding the clutch". Many of these vehicles had flywheel problems; VW did nothing. Mine overheated in traffic; couldn't go on hills; shook all over and became disabled. The lights were an issue; windows and also the A/C compressor. I have always bought VW because they were reliable and VW stood behind them. Cute and responsive yet it was manufactured with a defect that VW should've recalled and replaced. They lost me permanently and should be quite ashamed of how they treated many loyal customers.

It is a super fun car to drive.

It has transmission problems across the board. Check the internet - they are all listed there. They didn't stop making them for no reason. They knew what they were doing. Trust me.

Great ride !
By Dano

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I just purchased a leased 2006 conv. beatle...pale blue/black top. I've read these discontented reviews ,but, I feel great about my bug! When I purchased it there was still a 2 year original warranty on it. I also added 2 more years, which I would recommend with any used vehicle. I can't believe it rides like a large vehicle for such a small wheel base. I did have a/c compressor go out but it was under warranty and repaired in one day. It's ice cold! rear window would not go back up. again repaired in one day NO CHARGE. folks at the dealership are very nice, friendly, and professional. Absolute fun. People often let me know they love the look.

Please note: Some have complained about the cost of oil changes. People should know that VW's oil changes are every 3 YEARS!When changing the oil it is recommended to go to a dealership.Also transmissions are all sealed. If your looking for a fun ride just BUY ONE YOU'LL LOVE IT

At this moment can't think of one, but, if something should pop-up I'll let you all know!

Loving It
By Mary Kilburn

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

We enjoy the maneuverability of this car. Its spaciousness is surprising, as it will even accommodate two [7 and 11 y.o.] grandchildren in the back seat. It is a diesel and that gas is expensive and not always easily available. My husband insists it is VERY safe with the steel cage construction and side airbags. I still worry a bit and in bad weather [especially at night] and prefer to drive one of our more conventional, obviously heavier, autos.

The maneuverability, ease of operation, spaciousness [yes - spaciousness], attractiveness, and style. This car offers great safety if the steel cage and side airbags make it so.

Make the headlight switch more obvious and the remote entry easier to operate on first try. Put it on stilts - or maybe super size tires would do it! The exterior's sleek design leaves nowhere to place any object [i.e. briefcase] on it when needing two hands free. The key sometimes "locks" when in park.

Fun with the Top Down
By nancy

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love my new purchase. It is well worth every penny. I looked at a few convertibles and for the money it is an amazing vehicle. It is not my only car so I don't have to depend on it during the winter snow months, but I do hear that is should handle great during that time. I am actually confident that it will because so far I am very impressed. I like to drive larger vehicles (SUVs) and I was very surprised that I did not feel confined when I sat in this car for the first time. I love driving it and can't wait everyday to get into it. I have not driven my SUV since. I bought it somewhat because of gas prices and fun but the gas mileage is an added bonus. I love it, love it, love it.

I love that it is a convertible. At the price I can own it for fun and also own an additional car. I have three kids and we are not always together so I don't have to always be in my SUV wasting gas. This lets me zip around town and have fun to. The interior is beautiful, sporty, fun and comfortable.

The radio controls on the steering wheel.