2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews

2006 New Beetle Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
I wouldn't do VW again.
By peppi1

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I happen to like my little car a great deal. I never dreamt that I would have ever owned a New Beetle Convertible. I like the color, build, and style. I rated the interior poorly because any time a part is needed, which is not that often, I find myself having to dish out a heck of a lot of hard-earned bills. To replace a simple part, VW interior parts come with the whole entire assembly... I guess they hope that they will get all of your money. It does not make sense to have to replace the entire assembly just to need one small part. The parts are too expensive.If you touch the dashboard it bruises easily and my car leaks heavily when it rains when the windows are rolled up completely!

Favorite Features

I like the way the seats heat up and the dashboard has a lot of room.

Suggested Improvements

The dashboard doesn't need to make imprints so easily, the windows need to have a tighter connection so that whenever it rains, the windows will not leak rain; if so, it causes mildew. The car need not that many fancy commodities just to have to keep replacing and spend a lot of money to replace the entire assembly when all I needed was a small and simple part.

55,000 miles and the car won't start!
By beetle_owner

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is the cutest most fun to drive car ever....when it works. Oh...are you thinking about taking the car to a mechanic outside of the dealership to have it worked on for cheaper? Don't even think about it...many mechanics either won't want to touch your beetle or they will not be able to fix it since it's an electrical nightmare that's built like a puzzle! And how is it that a chord has broken on the top? That happened at about 40,000 miles. One more thing...if something breaks, like the radio...you have to get it fixed right away before it starts affecting other electrical things in the car...sigh...selling it asap once it comes out the shop (been there a month already).

Suggested Improvements

needs to be built right

Dissapointed and frustrated
By imaqte

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased my used 2006 VW convertible about 9 months ago with 51,000 miles on it. Since I have had it, I have had numerous issues. First, the airbag light came on and I was told is a seat-belt issue that costs around $400. Next the driver's side door handle broke that cost $600 because they have to replace the entire door panel. I read online this frequently happens. My driver's side window regulator went out and that cost me $470.00 to fix..now I have to take to replace the convertible top because the back window is separating from the top and water can get in. The total for that is $770.00 from a local shop I am afraid of what will happen next. I have to get rid of this car!!!

Favorite Features

The color

Suggested Improvements

everything!

VW=excellence!!!!!
By jsonaday

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

this car is the best ive owned.! great amount of power from the 2.5 5cyl. it can be small at times but remember...its a coupe convertible...no car will be big in the back. i hav not had to replace anything except for the brake pads but its the first time for that and i hav and its got 35k miles on it

Favorite Features

convertible top!!! engine is the best! great looking. Vw really takes care of ur car nicely

Suggested Improvements

monsoon sound system sucks... maybe still make a 2.0T or 1.8T. would be sick if a 6cyl would be available

My experience...
By mystry

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This was my dream car, but it's expensive. I bought the car new in 07 and have loved it, but it gets a lot of small quirks that add up. I am on my 3rd radio b/c the buttons wear down, a battery costs $195 b/c auto shops will not install it you must go to the dealer, the door panels eventully wear down, and indicator lights are always coming on. I spend more time at dealerships and more money on this car than any other car i've ever owned. I've not had as much trouble as some of these reviews, but i've had enough that my dream car is getting traded.... I am tired of spending money on a car that is paid for with less than 100K miles on it. PS, expect to get about 330 miles to a tank.

Favorite Features

Like I said, this was my dream car and I am glad I had it. It handles great, and is so much fun to drive. Tuns and stops on a dime. Top is easy to use, and i've not had any trouble with it. I love the XM radio and ipod jack. Strong leather that is still in great shape. The heated seats are nice, but I live in FL so don't need them too often.

Suggested Improvements

If I could change the car I would put a dimmer on the rear view mirror, make it more durable so it does not always have technical difficulties, make the running boards stronger, the dealership bent mine during an oil change. I think that it, I love the car but it's costing me too much time in repairs.

Surprising little car
By powerdriver82

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Recently purchased this car used for my girlfriend, not exactly my style though i am a devoted fan of german engineering. As much as the exterior designing has just never appealed to me, this car continuously surprises me. The 5-cyl engine is peppy when you need it to be, yet quite fuel efficient when just cruising along. I find i'm regularly able to keep up with my friends Jetta 1.8T which most people just wouldn't expect. Excellent 8 spkr stereo, convenient mp3 input jack, power convertible top moves quickly and easily, heat warms up quickly, a/c cools down equally as fast, amazingly smooth drive, nimble handling. Really the only complaint i have is the body styling. Just not my bag there

Suggested Improvements

I would say the body styling but it kinda defeats the purpose of it being a beetle, other than that, VW...please just continue doing what you do, produce a fun to drive reliable vehicle

No Problems for us
By Rochestervwowner

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife purchased this for her summer car and we garage it from November thru April. The only problem we have had was a stuck spring on the passenger seat, and that was probably from my nephew slamming the seat back to hard. Covered by warranty, no questions asked. Otherwise, the car has been a joy to own. The oil changes are 20.00 more expensive than usual. No big deal. Liked it so much we bought a Passat, which has been equally great. I was surprised to read all the comments about problems with this car as we have had none.

Favorite Features

5 Cylinder engine in Sport mode really moves. Satellite radio. Great handling. V-Tex seat upholstery easy to clean. Seeing my wife and 11 yo daughter rolling up to the house with huge smiles!

Suggested Improvements

Car is really perfect for our needs.

Avoid like the Plague
By harold

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

You may think it's cute, but dont let that exterior fool you, this thing is an engineering nightmare. 2 headlights burn out quickly in under 2 years, rear brake light in 1 year, ALL four windows get stuck or regulartor breaks, 5 visits to fix the convertible stop getting stuck, lots of issues with convertible cords breaking and snapping.

Favorite Features

cute with the top down

Suggested Improvements

the whole thing needs to be scrapped

Worst car i have ever owned!
By KM

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare! I bought it brand new and within 5,000 i started having problems. First, my coolant system went out and it took the dealer almost 2 weeks to fix it. I have had issues with my power windows, and both have been replaced 2x. My car spend 75 days (in a row) at the dealership due to my top not going down and getting stuck. My car has a loss of power when going over 60 mph, and vw said they "couldn't replicate the problem" but it keeps happening. Now my headlights broke and my radio randomly turns off...i can't wait to get rid of this car! I will never buy a vw again, they wont fix anything right and the dealership doesn't even call me back anymore

Favorite Features

fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

I don't even know where to start. Everything needs to be imporoved!

Good points but
By hilo2525

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Car is fun to drive. However, high cost to service and maintain from dealer. We are a multi-car household and there will no more VW's in our future.

Favorite Features

fun to drive, lots of comments from lookers-on

Suggested Improvements

car will no longer be in production for many good reasons.