Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

I wouldn't do VW again.
By peppi1

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I happen to like my little car a great deal. I never dreamt that I would have ever owned a New Beetle Convertible. I like the color, build, and style. I rated the interior poorly because any time a part is needed, which is not that often, I find myself having to dish out a heck of a lot of hard-earned bills. To replace a simple part, VW interior parts come with the whole entire assembly... I guess they hope that they will get all of your money. It does not make sense to have to replace the entire assembly just to need one small part. The parts are too expensive.If you touch the dashboard it bruises easily and my car leaks heavily when it rains when the windows are rolled up completely!

I like the way the seats heat up and the dashboard has a lot of room.

The dashboard doesn't need to make imprints so easily, the windows need to have a tighter connection so that whenever it rains, the windows will not leak rain; if so, it causes mildew. The car need not that many fancy commodities just to have to keep replacing and spend a lot of money to replace the entire assembly when all I needed was a small and simple part.

55,000 miles and the car won't start!
By beetle_owner

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is the cutest most fun to drive car ever....when it works. Oh...are you thinking about taking the car to a mechanic outside of the dealership to have it worked on for cheaper? Don't even think about it...many mechanics either won't want to touch your beetle or they will not be able to fix it since it's an electrical nightmare that's built like a puzzle! And how is it that a chord has broken on the top? That happened at about 40,000 miles. One more thing...if something breaks, like the radio...you have to get it fixed right away before it starts affecting other electrical things in the car...sigh...selling it asap once it comes out the shop (been there a month already).

needs to be built right

Dissapointed and frustrated
By imaqte

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased my used 2006 VW convertible about 9 months ago with 51,000 miles on it. Since I have had it, I have had numerous issues. First, the airbag light came on and I was told is a seat-belt issue that costs around $400. Next the driver's side door handle broke that cost $600 because they have to replace the entire door panel. I read online this frequently happens. My driver's side window regulator went out and that cost me $470.00 to fix..now I have to take to replace the convertible top because the back window is separating from the top and water can get in. The total for that is $770.00 from a local shop I am afraid of what will happen next. I have to get rid of this car!!!

The color

everything!

VW=excellence!!!!!
By jsonaday

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

this car is the best ive owned.! great amount of power from the 2.5 5cyl. it can be small at times but remember...its a coupe convertible...no car will be big in the back. i hav not had to replace anything except for the brake pads but its the first time for that and i hav and its got 35k miles on it

convertible top!!! engine is the best! great looking. Vw really takes care of ur car nicely

monsoon sound system sucks... maybe still make a 2.0T or 1.8T. would be sick if a 6cyl would be available

My experience...
By mystry

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This was my dream car, but it's expensive. I bought the car new in 07 and have loved it, but it gets a lot of small quirks that add up. I am on my 3rd radio b/c the buttons wear down, a battery costs $195 b/c auto shops will not install it you must go to the dealer, the door panels eventully wear down, and indicator lights are always coming on. I spend more time at dealerships and more money on this car than any other car i've ever owned. I've not had as much trouble as some of these reviews, but i've had enough that my dream car is getting traded.... I am tired of spending money on a car that is paid for with less than 100K miles on it. PS, expect to get about 330 miles to a tank.

Like I said, this was my dream car and I am glad I had it. It handles great, and is so much fun to drive. Tuns and stops on a dime. Top is easy to use, and i've not had any trouble with it. I love the XM radio and ipod jack. Strong leather that is still in great shape. The heated seats are nice, but I live in FL so don't need them too often.

If I could change the car I would put a dimmer on the rear view mirror, make it more durable so it does not always have technical difficulties, make the running boards stronger, the dealership bent mine during an oil change. I think that it, I love the car but it's costing me too much time in repairs.