Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle TDI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

My Beetle
By Spongebob

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is the third Beetle I have owned since 1998. The improvements are obvious from the styling to the dropped outside mirrors for better visibility. This car isn't for everyone. It's for fun loving people who like a car that looks like no other, handles great, and performs flawlessly. it fits me to a T and I wouldn't even consider another car on the road today. It is unique.

Personally, I love the heated seats, the satellite radio, CD player, and the self dimming rear view mirror. Lets face it, I just love it.

My biggest gripe about the Beetle was the side mirror position, but VW has improved it considerably.

A Responsible Mode of Transport
By W Benson

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is a "poor man's Porsche." It is really fun to drive. It accelerates uphill like a scared rabbit (pardon the unintended reference to another VW model). Plus it is VERY economical on fuel.

The diesel engine.

None

Once and Done
By never again VW

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Of all the cars I have ever known this by far was absolutely the biggest nightmare. If I added all my repair receipts I could have bought this car twice. There has been nothing mechanical or otherwise about this car that has not been repaired or replaced. I have had this car in the shop at least six times this year. I wish there was something good to say about this car since I have wanted to own one all of my life, but I guess the good Lord was trying to tell me something. Now all I want to do is get rid of it as soon as possible. That won't happen though until I get it fixed.

The gas mileage.

Go back to the old Beetle.

Great Car
By L. Bruce

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I just bought my VW Beetle for my 120 mile round trip to work each day. It is already paying for itself. It provides great performance, fuel economy, and styling. The back seat is cramped but the front seats are very comfy. I got it with a 100,000 warranty, I will probably do that many miles in it in two years, and will then rate this vehicle again. So far, I love it! I plan to do 40,000 miles a year. This is the car for it.

I like this car's great fuel economy, quiet cabin, and cruise control. It is very well engineered. It feels and rides like a bigger car.

The arm rest should adjust one notch higher. Also, the volume controls for the radio on the steering is wheel similar to the Scion and is difficult to adjust while driving.

Ugly is only skin deep
By Sue

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is our fourth VW and third diesel VW. We wanted a new Golf TDI but couldn't find one with the feathures we needed. The Jetta was bigger than we needed and we weren't attracted to the New Beetle. On a whim we test drove the Beetle and we were hooked. It handles very well, is comfortable for the driver and passenger (we rarely have more than two of us), and started off getting 43 mpg. Although we bought this to commute the 1 1/2 hours to work, we find ourselves using this car for trips and general driving around. We love it.

The great gas mileage and comfortable seats.

I haven't thought of any at this time.