Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

I wouldn't do VW again.
By peppi1

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I happen to like my little car a great deal. I never dreamt that I would have ever owned a New Beetle Convertible. I like the color, build, and style. I rated the interior poorly because any time a part is needed, which is not that often, I find myself having to dish out a heck of a lot of hard-earned bills. To replace a simple part, VW interior parts come with the whole entire assembly... I guess they hope that they will get all of your money. It does not make sense to have to replace the entire assembly just to need one small part. The parts are too expensive.If you touch the dashboard it bruises easily and my car leaks heavily when it rains when the windows are rolled up completely!

I like the way the seats heat up and the dashboard has a lot of room.

The dashboard doesn't need to make imprints so easily, the windows need to have a tighter connection so that whenever it rains, the windows will not leak rain; if so, it causes mildew. The car need not that many fancy commodities just to have to keep replacing and spend a lot of money to replace the entire assembly when all I needed was a small and simple part.

I wanted to love it!
By patriciagilson

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car and it was my dream car. I was really sad when teh leather seats started to rip, when I am a gentle driver and dont weigh a lot or do anything to wear them down. The headlights die, no joke, every six months and are expensive and a pain in the booty to fix yourself. The airbag light is on, the gas cap light goes on and off for no reason while I drive. I am at 100k miles and my check engine light came on. I took it to an auto part store to diagnose it and it ran FIFTEEN codes. my o2 senor and lots of misfires and leaks and when I chenged my oil it came out lumpy, even though i change it on time EVERY time. To be fair it has never broke down on me, but parts are expensive.

its cute, really cute. Itsactually does fit 2 car seats and it is comfortable and fun to drive. My 3 year old daughter LOVES it because she doesnt understand value. I was 20 when I bought it and neither did I.

electrical work, electrical work, electrical work. Oh and make maintenance easier.

55,000 miles and the car won't start!
By beetle_owner

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is the cutest most fun to drive car ever....when it works. Oh...are you thinking about taking the car to a mechanic outside of the dealership to have it worked on for cheaper? Don't even think about it...many mechanics either won't want to touch your beetle or they will not be able to fix it since it's an electrical nightmare that's built like a puzzle! And how is it that a chord has broken on the top? That happened at about 40,000 miles. One more thing...if something breaks, like the radio...you have to get it fixed right away before it starts affecting other electrical things in the car...sigh...selling it asap once it comes out the shop (been there a month already).

needs to be built right

Dissapointed and frustrated
By imaqte

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased my used 2006 VW convertible about 9 months ago with 51,000 miles on it. Since I have had it, I have had numerous issues. First, the airbag light came on and I was told is a seat-belt issue that costs around $400. Next the driver's side door handle broke that cost $600 because they have to replace the entire door panel. I read online this frequently happens. My driver's side window regulator went out and that cost me $470.00 to fix..now I have to take to replace the convertible top because the back window is separating from the top and water can get in. The total for that is $770.00 from a local shop I am afraid of what will happen next. I have to get rid of this car!!!

The color

everything!

VW=excellence!!!!!
By jsonaday

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

this car is the best ive owned.! great amount of power from the 2.5 5cyl. it can be small at times but remember...its a coupe convertible...no car will be big in the back. i hav not had to replace anything except for the brake pads but its the first time for that and i hav and its got 35k miles on it

convertible top!!! engine is the best! great looking. Vw really takes care of ur car nicely

monsoon sound system sucks... maybe still make a 2.0T or 1.8T. would be sick if a 6cyl would be available