2006 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
I wouldn't do VW again.
By peppi1 on 05/14/13 21:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I happen to like my little car a great deal. I never dreamt that I would have ever owned a New Beetle Convertible. I like the color, build, and style. I rated the interior poorly because any time a part is needed, which is not that often, I find myself having to dish out a heck of a lot of hard-earned bills. To replace a simple part, VW interior parts come with the whole entire assembly... I guess they hope that they will get all of your money. It does not make sense to have to replace the entire assembly just to need one small part. The parts are too expensive.If you touch the dashboard it bruises easily and my car leaks heavily when it rains when the windows are rolled up completely!

I wanted to love it!
By patriciagilson on 08/22/12 21:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car and it was my dream car. I was really sad when teh leather seats started to rip, when I am a gentle driver and dont weigh a lot or do anything to wear them down. The headlights die, no joke, every six months and are expensive and a pain in the booty to fix yourself. The airbag light is on, the gas cap light goes on and off for no reason while I drive. I am at 100k miles and my check engine light came on. I took it to an auto part store to diagnose it and it ran FIFTEEN codes. my o2 senor and lots of misfires and leaks and when I chenged my oil it came out lumpy, even though i change it on time EVERY time. To be fair it has never broke down on me, but parts are expensive.

55,000 miles and the car won't start!
By beetle_owner on 08/03/12 15:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is the cutest most fun to drive car ever....when it works. Oh...are you thinking about taking the car to a mechanic outside of the dealership to have it worked on for cheaper? Don't even think about it...many mechanics either won't want to touch your beetle or they will not be able to fix it since it's an electrical nightmare that's built like a puzzle! And how is it that a chord has broken on the top? That happened at about 40,000 miles. One more thing...if something breaks, like the radio...you have to get it fixed right away before it starts affecting other electrical things in the car...sigh...selling it asap once it comes out the shop (been there a month already).

Dissapointed and frustrated
By imaqte on 06/28/12 19:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased my used 2006 VW convertible about 9 months ago with 51,000 miles on it. Since I have had it, I have had numerous issues. First, the airbag light came on and I was told is a seat-belt issue that costs around $400. Next the driver's side door handle broke that cost $600 because they have to replace the entire door panel. I read online this frequently happens. My driver's side window regulator went out and that cost me $470.00 to fix..now I have to take to replace the convertible top because the back window is separating from the top and water can get in. The total for that is $770.00 from a local shop I am afraid of what will happen next. I have to get rid of this car!!!

VW=excellence!!!!!
By jsonaday on 12/31/11 15:05 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

this car is the best ive owned.! great amount of power from the 2.5 5cyl. it can be small at times but remember...its a coupe convertible...no car will be big in the back. i hav not had to replace anything except for the brake pads but its the first time for that and i hav and its got 35k miles on it

My experience...
By mystry on 10/08/11 09:33 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This was my dream car, but it's expensive. I bought the car new in 07 and have loved it, but it gets a lot of small quirks that add up. I am on my 3rd radio b/c the buttons wear down, a battery costs $195 b/c auto shops will not install it you must go to the dealer, the door panels eventully wear down, and indicator lights are always coming on. I spend more time at dealerships and more money on this car than any other car i've ever owned. I've not had as much trouble as some of these reviews, but i've had enough that my dream car is getting traded.... I am tired of spending money on a car that is paid for with less than 100K miles on it. PS, expect to get about 330 miles to a tank.

Surprising little car
By powerdriver82 on 01/29/11 14:19 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Recently purchased this car used for my girlfriend, not exactly my style though i am a devoted fan of german engineering. As much as the exterior designing has just never appealed to me, this car continuously surprises me. The 5-cyl engine is peppy when you need it to be, yet quite fuel efficient when just cruising along. I find i'm regularly able to keep up with my friends Jetta 1.8T which most people just wouldn't expect. Excellent 8 spkr stereo, convenient mp3 input jack, power convertible top moves quickly and easily, heat warms up quickly, a/c cools down equally as fast, amazingly smooth drive, nimble handling. Really the only complaint i have is the body styling. Just not my bag there

No Problems for us
By Rochestervwowner on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife purchased this for her summer car and we garage it from November thru April. The only problem we have had was a stuck spring on the passenger seat, and that was probably from my nephew slamming the seat back to hard. Covered by warranty, no questions asked. Otherwise, the car has been a joy to own. The oil changes are 20.00 more expensive than usual. No big deal. Liked it so much we bought a Passat, which has been equally great. I was surprised to read all the comments about problems with this car as we have had none.

Avoid like the Plague
By harold on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

You may think it's cute, but dont let that exterior fool you, this thing is an engineering nightmare. 2 headlights burn out quickly in under 2 years, rear brake light in 1 year, ALL four windows get stuck or regulartor breaks, 5 visits to fix the convertible stop getting stuck, lots of issues with convertible cords breaking and snapping.

Worst car i have ever owned!
By KM on 08/30/10 09:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare! I bought it brand new and within 5,000 i started having problems. First, my coolant system went out and it took the dealer almost 2 weeks to fix it. I have had issues with my power windows, and both have been replaced 2x. My car spend 75 days (in a row) at the dealership due to my top not going down and getting stuck. My car has a loss of power when going over 60 mph, and vw said they "couldn't replicate the problem" but it keeps happening. Now my headlights broke and my radio randomly turns off...i can't wait to get rid of this car! I will never buy a vw again, they wont fix anything right and the dealership doesn't even call me back anymore

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.