My wife made me get it!
By Impe on
2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)
It takes a real man to drive a car this car! I wanted a PT Cruiser Convertible but my wife insisted on the New Beetle Convertible; and it had to be Bback. We now have 5k miles on it and all is well. It is fun to drive and was comfortable on an 800 mile trip to FL. The top is easy to operate, the trunk is adequate for 2 people on 2/3 day trips, and the back seat is perfect for a 75lb Black Lab. The sound system is great, especially the MP3 capability which allows me to play as many as 200 songs per CD. The 28.5 MPG is less than I hoped for, (and both my wife and I drive gently); but the car sure is CUTE! We get lots of smiles and inquiries. All things considered, we are very happy with it.
Favorite Features
The sound system - I make my own MP3- CDs and we can carry tons of music that way. The overall "feel" of the car - it is easy to drive and pretty quiet at hwy speeds, (my Miata was loud and buzzy at 70 mph). And lastly, the top goes up and down. This is a fun car even for a 62 year old fat guy!
Suggested Improvements
Update the 2.0 engine, it is almost agricultural by today's standard; even with the balance shaft, it is a bit rough at idle especially with the AC on. Also it could use more storage cubbies in the dash and the central console, and a larger glove box. And please re-think those duffus cup holders.