2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Exploding Windows

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Review

Exploding Windows
By gretche on

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

We have enjoyed driving our New Beetle, we have been VW owners since the late 50's and our daughter still has her first car, 1971 Beetle Convertible. We will be forced to get rid of our car because the window on the driver's door has exploded twice. Our car is almost out of warantee and VW has told us that if the window explodes again, it will be our expense. We feel this is a danger but there has been no recall or service notes on it. VW of America's answer to us is, "we are very sorry." We feel we will have to get rid of the car before one of us loses an eye. Our dealership has admitted to having several cars with similar problems, sometimes it is the passenger door.

I enjoy the ease with which the top can be put down. I bought a steamer trunk in MD, put the top down, fit the trunk into the back seat, put the top up and off I went. Great!

We have a major safety problem with our car that will force us to sell. The window in the driver's door has exploded twice. The first time the window was closed and I was opening the door, the second time it was part way down and we were closing the door. VW has refused to offer an explanation.